• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RoboHelp 2015 output won't display in our server app. Message "Error: Object doesn't support property or method registerListener2" is returned

Explorer ,
Aug 31, 2015 Aug 31, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We recently upgraded from RoboHelp 9 to RoboHelp 2015 because version "next" of our server product must support multiple browsers. We have a very large Help file that gets called by the server application. It rendered properly on the server when we built the project with RH9. After upgrading to RH2015, I made a couple of changes to two topics and rebuilt the help. The Help displays fine on my local system. When the help output folder was added to the server build, the result was a blank page with the activity indicator spinning in the browser tab. QA used IE-F12 Developer Tools to get the debug message: "Error: Object doesn't support property or method "registerListener2."  We have no idea what is causing this issue, but it has forced us to go back to RH 9 until we can resolve it. I cannot send the Help project for you to look at , although I can send you a jpg of the error msg, the whproxy.js file, and our stylesheet (if that could be involved). I noticed the whproxy.js file for RoboHelp 2015 is much larger than the one used with RH 9, so I wonder if there's something in it that we should comment out.

Browser is IE 11.

Server runs on Windows 2012 R2 x64

Help was built with RH 2015 on Windows 8.x.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Thanks for reporting.

Are you getting this issue in every project or this project only? Can you please provide more details about the server ?

I will be better if you can provide a small single topic project where this issue is reproducing or if you can provide us(amitjha@adobe.com) server URL where it is reproducing would be great.

Thanks

Amit Jha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Amit,

We have a very large help file that is integrated with the server portion of our flagship product. When you click the question mark (?) in the server UI, the entire WebHelp file is supposed to display. Our other documentation files are PDFs.

• What details are you looking for about the server?
  • Regarding the small single-topic project and/or the Server URL, I'll need to get back to you.

Is this the first time anyone has ever reported this problem or received that particular message? Do you have any idea what could be causing it?

Thanks,

Kathe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 04, 2015 Sep 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the rendering mode of Internet Explorer? (You can find that in the Developer tools.) When you place the help on a named server in the domain, (http://myservername), IE switches back to intranet mode using IE7 or earlier rendering. That could be causing issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 04, 2015 Sep 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A developer thinks you may be on to something regarding the rendering mode. I'll get back to you after he's done some testing. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 18, 2015 Sep 18, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is what I learned from our Server developer:

We start our Webhelp system in a server management console that uses IE7 accommodation because we have to support legacy installations. When we generate a project from RH 2015, the Web help system does not display properly, as described in my original posting. Help projects from RH 9 work fine in the same management console, and the RH 2015 help systems work fine as standalone projects (i.e., not connected to the DG Server). It would appear that something changed in RH 2015 that is causing this problem.

For what it's worth, our management console calls the Help system with the win.open call.

Can you please escalate this issue or tell me what we need to do when creating WebHelp with RH2015 to get it to run in an environment that uses IE7 accommodation?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you need to contact Adobe Support – the forums are mainly a user to user area.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I have done so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Thanks for the information about IE7 mode. We will look into this and get back to you.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 20, 2015 Oct 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just want to comment that we haven't been able to solve this problem. RH Support seems to think it was caused by changes in our Server app. This seems pretty doubtful, given that we  switched to RH2015 for a minor release. The big difference is that the help we created in RH9 worked fine with our Server app but with the upgrade to RH2015, it doesn't work at all. Clearly, something changed in RH between RH 9 and RH2015. Any of the forum experts want to try to help us?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 21, 2015 Oct 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry but "want" and "can" are different things. I regret I cannot help you on this one.

My only idea is to create a very simple project with text only in the topics to see if that works. If it does, then gradually add the twiddly bits until it breaks.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 22, 2015 Oct 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Peter. There is nothing very complicated about our Help (no conditionalizing or JavaScript, for example). It's just very long and was originally created more than 5 years ago. We already created a much shorter version to test in-house, but It still wouldn't render in the web app (it was fine on the desktop, as is the complete file). I'm now trying to get permission from the powers-that-be to send the Help project to Adobe support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 27, 2015 Nov 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi!

I have the same problem with the same debug error. It hasn't been fixed yet but maybe my example can help?

I use RH9 and wanted to install an update for IE10 (available at "Published help topics not visible in Internet Explorer 10"). I took the wrong update and installed an update for RH10. It replaces only two folders: template_skin and  template_skinpreview.

No other changes were made.

Helps generated before the update were ok and those generated after are not: "blank page with the activity indicator spinning" as you described. In IE display is ok as long as the "blocked content" (scripts and ActivX controls) is not allowed. In Firefox it is as you described (and was fine before my "update").

I only work on my local computer, it runs Windows 7 Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp