We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.
Copy link to clipboard
I recently bought RH2015 and upgraded my project from RH11 with it. The upgrade process works fine and finishes successfully (as indicated by final message box). However, then when I try to close the project or exit RH2015 it won't do it. The only way to "exit" is to kill the RH process. If I do that and reopen the project again then RH2015 complains that the CPD file is corrupt. I tried deleting the CPD file and reopening the project. It'll open and rebuild the CPD file but still won't close cleanly. So the cycle starts all over again.
Even worse, none of the outputs generates. When I click on Generate.. for any of the SSL nothing happens.
Editing topics and saving them seems to work.
At this point RH2015 is useless to me. Please help!
Copy link to clipboard
From RoboHelp, try clicking File > Rename Project. Capture the dialog and share it here for us to see.
You don't need to actually rename, just cancel the dialog once you have done this.
Unfortunately there is no dialog that shows up. When I click on "Rename Project" RH does nothing but going back to the previous view. The same behavior is observed when I try to select "Close Project" or "Exit" from the same menu.
Is there a log file anywhere that could provide more clues?
Try this. Close and restart RoboHelp.
When you attempt to perform any action where it seems to hang, before trying anything else, press and hold the Windows key on your keyboard and press the left arrow key two or three times.
My suspicion is that perhaps a dialog is appearing that is out of the visible area of your monitor and that keystroke will bring a dialog into view.
Sorry, but I only see the main RH window switching between filling the right half of the screen, then the left, then go back to normal view. No additional dialogs show up.
Also, actions don't seem to hang. It more seems that they don't start at all or rather start and silently fail right away. I would assume that a dialog like "Rename Project" is a modal dialog. So, if it were hidden somewhere I wouldn't be able to work with the main window of RH until I closed that dialog. However, that's not the case. I can work with the RH main window right away.
Yeah, well. It was admittedly a long shot and grasping at straws.
Have you tried opening one of the sample projects? Perhaps it's related to the upgrade.
If the sample projects behave identically, I'm thinking perhaps you might want to try reinstalling?
I've tried that, yes. They open and close just fine. Also, the rename project dialog pops up.
So the issue is then with this particular project.
How many topics do you have in it? If there aren't all that many, it may be more efficient to just create a new project structure and import the topics into it to re-create the project.
There's the rub. The project has 500+ topics and 100+ images.
How would I even go about recreating the project? Can I create a blank project and then select Import for each individual topic? Is it possible to import entire folders and subfolders?
Thanks Peter for offering to help. Actually I think I was able to fix it. RH closes the project cleanly now.
The project was in really bad shape as it had gone through many hands and RH version upgrades. It had lots of broken references to images, stylesheets and broken FPJ files. People had moved referenced files in the file system, not using RH. I didn't have to fix all of them. But at some point during this effort RH closed again just fine. However, I cannot tell what precise action did it.
So, if folks experience issues like this with their projects then make sure your FPJ files are in sync with the file system and also your references to topics, stylesheets, and images are fine.
Copy link to clipboard
We have had the same problem on one of our (massive) projects since we got the latest service pack. Can you post more specifics on how you made the repairs that fixed the problem?
Is the project local?
Please define massive?
Yes, the project is local. Version control has recently been managed through Git, and project versions prior to this (perhaps coincidentally) are OK.
Size: about 1200 topics, which equal 2000 pp in print output. That's big compared to our other projects, but perhaps not massive for some people. I should have been more specific.
We cleaned up most of the broken links and now we can close the document and don't have to delete the CPD file every time we open it. It is interesting that the problem showed up when we got the latest service pack, but it led to some necessary maintenance work so all is well.
I (Tim) was following up on my own comment. So Tim commented and "replied" to himself, so to speak. Sorry for the confusion.
Confirming my opinion of you as a really great guy! You have been a terrific help.