• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RoboHelp2015 Single Quote Causes the Remaining Text to Change

Participant ,
Jun 06, 2018 Jun 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I looked through the forum already and found that people were using the curly quotes or apostrophe and it wouldn't convert well. I am not using content converted from Word or any other tool. The topic was created from scratch. When I generate responsive HTM5, my text appears like this in my topic:

The guide'="" s="" default="" search="" engine="" imagines="" you="" have="" an="" "or"="" operator="" between="" your="" search="" terms.="" Adding="" "and"="" will="" only="" show="" those="" results="" that="" include="" both="" of="" the="" terms="" that="" you="" are="" searching="" for="" ,="" filtering="" out="" those="" results="" that="" may="" not="" apply.=""

The paragraph should read like this:

The guide's default search engine imagines you have an "or" operator between your search terms. Adding "and" will only show those results that include both of the

terms that you are searching for, filtering out those results that may not apply.

I replaced the apostrophe in the term guide's and regenerated my RHTML5 and I still get this. I reviewed the HTML and it only contains the text and no weird tags or anything like that. I even tried to replace the apostrophe in HTML editor with ' and I still get the same wrong output. When we generate WebHelp output we don't have this problem. Does anyone have any advice on how to correct single apostrophes? We have this issue with another topic as well.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it were me I'd try selecting and copying all the text. Delete all the text from the topic. Then paste the copied text into an instance of Windows Notepad. Ensure things look okay there. If not, make changes as needed. Then select all the text in Notepad and copy. Then paste the copied text from Notepad into the topic. Generate output and see if things are improved.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well I tried your cut/paste into Notepad suggestion and the results were still the same. I'm going to give this some more thought. I was able to change occurrences of you're to you are, but that is cheating and not a total solution

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've seen text like than if I, for example, enter a left angle bracket < in the html editor and don't enter a corresponding right angle bracket >.

In Design view, select View > Show > Unknown Tags.

(I'm not sure of the ribbon layout, but Rick might be able to chime in)

Do you see red boxes in your design view? If so, then I think you have rogue brackets.

If you switch to the HTML editor you should see the messed up text. It generally corrects itself at the next whole tag, for example an a or span within the paragraph containing the rogue bracket.

(If you need to have angle brackets displaying in your text, entering them using the Design View should be fine, otherwise manually correct them in the HTML editor to &lt; for a left angle bracket and &gt; for a right angle bracket. Make sure you don't accidentally change the ones needed for your html tags. )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To establish whether the issue is the quote or the project, create a new project and put a quote into a topic there. If you generate that single topic project, does that have the problem?

If not then I'm thinking Amber has pointed you in the right direction.

See www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp and Authoring information.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 07, 2018 Jun 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your RH2015 version totally up to date? Is it happening if you change layouts? Have you tried it out with a trial copy of RH2017 (on a non-production machine) to see if it's already been fixed in a newer version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 11, 2018 Jun 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not up-to-date on my updates. I don't have much control over that. We are moving from RH2015 to RH2017 in the next week or so. I tried the above suggestions and still had the problem so I reworded the text to not include the apostrophe. I don't know what is going on. I am hoping that once we upgrade to RH2017 we will be fine going forward. Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 12, 2018 Jun 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I very much doubt this will be fixed by the upgrade as it is not a known issue. I believe it is something in the specific project, hence suggesting earlier to try in another project with one topic and fresh text.

If you don't get the problem there, then import the rogue topic. Unless RoboHelp somehow cleans the topic on import, I would expect the problem to still be there. Then if you are willing to share that project, I would be happy to take a look.

See the Contact page on my site and send the project as instructed there. Do make sure you include a link to this thread and please do not email the project direct.

See www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp and Authoring information.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp