Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Source Control Recommendations for Robohelp

Explorer ,
Oct 14, 2020 Oct 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Folks, 

I'm a lone tech writer at my company. We are now hiring two other writers. Our setup is very simple. We'e all on Windows 10 and use the latest version of RH 2019. 

I want to setup a source control system to manage the files. 

Note, we have no budget to get new software/hardware etc, so will probably have to use open source, eg Git. 

What software would you recommend?

Also, anything we should avoid? 

Thanks.

TOPICS
Version control

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 14, 2020 Oct 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have software developers at your company? If so, check with them what source control they have and try to piggy back on that. (And you'll have technical support when things go wrong. Thank a friendly developer with chocolate every time you have a problem so you don't wear out your welcome. 😛 )

You can also use Sharepoint for source control, if your company has that. I haven't used it though so can't offer any advice. I think it's a fairly basic solution, but it might be enough for your needs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 15, 2020 Oct 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Developers use GitLab. However they're very busy so I'm reluctant to interrupt them. Also, we're all WFH so need to factor this in. 

I setup SharePoint last night, or tried to, but RH isn't connecting to the site. No error message. It just doesn't connect.

What version control software do you use? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't currently use source control but I used TFS at a previous company.  The best I can suggest is you check the help here to see if it has any helpful information:

https://helpx.adobe.com/robohelp/archive.html

(Don't use the Help menu in RH2019 New UI, you'll get the RH2020 help instead. Don't ask....)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Although, the RH2020 help does include a bit more background info which might help. Just keep in mind the available functionality and interface is *probably* different from RH2019 New UI

[Edited RH version]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp