Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Stand Alone usage of RHCL utility

Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2019 Jan 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello All,

I have few queries regarding the usage of RHCL utility. The following are my queries:

a) Can this utility be run stand alone, i.e without installing the Robo-Help or it is always required to install the entire Robo-Help to run this command line utility

Example:

RHCL D:\sukanta\workings\projects\VSTS\RoboHelp\PCC_Contract\PCC_Contract.xpj -l "WebHelp" -o D:\sukanta\workings\projects\VSTS\RoboHelp\OutPutTest

b) Is there any licensing cost is involved, if we want to use RHCL only to build the output from the source

c) If RHCL is not the proper choice for the purpose, is there any standalone command line utility available to only compile the RoboHelp source code to generate the output with out complete installation of RoboHelp. If such utility is available please let me know along with the licensing detail

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 25, 2019 Jan 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure about this but in the absence of anyone else picking it up...

RoboHelp allows the same user to install on two machines. Typically that will be a desktop and a laptop. However, I believe it would also cover this situation.

If you must have a more positive answer, then you must contact Adobe Support.

See www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp and Authoring information.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestion

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RHCL is part of RoboHelp. You need a valid RoboHelp license to use it.

In addition, for what you are trying to do, please note section 2.1.7.2 in the End User License Agreement ("EULA"), which can be found in the "Legal" folder of your RoboHelp installation:

For clarification and without limitation, the foregoing does not permit Customer to install or access (either directly or through commands, data, or instructions) the Software:
(a) from or to a Computer not part of Customer’s Internal Network;
(b) for enabling web hosted workgroups or web hosted services available to the public;
(c) by any individual or entity to use, download, copy, or otherwise benefit from the functionality of the Software unless licensed to do so by Adobe;
(d) as a component of a system, workflow or service accessible by more than the Permitted Number of users; or
(e) for operations not initiated by an individual user (e.g., automated server processing).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply...

Understood that we need to install the full version of Robo Help to use the RHCL utility.

Is there any such utility available (other then RHCL) which allow only to compile the ROBO-Help source code in command line to generate the output without installing the full featured Robo Help. If such component or utility is available what is the licensing cost involved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stefan

I'm not clear from your reply whether provided the two installations are tied to the same user licence, is that permitted or not?

If the command line is on a machine that anyone can access, then clearly that would mean they can access RoboHelp itself and that would be contrary to the licence. That I follow.

However, if whoever is creating the help is the only person who can run the command line, albeit on a separate machine, is that not within the two installations permitted?

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

I'm not clear from your reply whether provided the two installations are tied to the same user licence, is that permitted or not?

That is covered in section 2.1.3.:

"(…) the primary user of the Computer on which the Software is installed under Section 2.1 (“Primary User”) may install a second copy of the Software for his or her exclusive use on either a portable Computer or a Computer located at his or her home, provided that the Software on the portable or home Computer is not used at the same time as the Software on the primary Computer."

Regarding this:

However, if whoever is creating the help is the only person who can run the command line, albeit on a separate machine, is that not within the two installations permitted?

I'm really not a legal expert, but I guess that this is not allowed:

For clarification and without limitation, the foregoing does not permit Customer to install or access (either directly or through commands, data, or instructions) the Software:

(...)

(c) by any individual or entity to use, download, copy, or otherwise benefit from the functionality of the Software unless licensed to do so by Adobe;

That is, as far as I understand it, every individual or entity who wants to run such a command to execute a function of RoboHelp remotely, needs to have a RoboHelp license.

Also, as far as I understand it, the user wants to run a RoboHelp as some sort of a publishing server for multiple users ("we"). Section 2.7.1 ("Server use") explains this scenario: Every user who wants to "access" and "use" RoboHelp, needs to have a license for that.

However, I'm not really sure, if automated execution remotely in this way is allowed at all.

2.1.7.2 (…) (e) for operations not initiated by an individual user (e.g., automated server processing).

While an operation like executing a cmd or bat file might be initiated by an individual user, it would probably fall into the "automated server processing" category.

But that's a "grey zone" I guess …

My suggestion here is that SuKaNtA BhAtTaChArYyA explains the scenario and what they want to achieve in an email to techcomm@adobe.com and then the right folks can come with a legally valid licensing model for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The second copy does seem to limited to a laptop or a machine at home. Like you, I am not qualified lawyer but my interpretation is that does not cover a second machine at work.

That said, if the second machine is only to be used for command line generation of an output, requiring another licence does seem to be a bit unreasonable so hopefully "techcomm" can come up with something. Until then though, it would appear another licence is required.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stefan & Peter thanks for the assistance....

I am writing to techcomm@adobe.com  with my requirement and other details we want to implement

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 27, 2019 Jan 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stefan & Peter....

Knowing for you help again actually I have already written the mail to techcomm@adobe.com on last Friday... but there is no reply or feedback till today...

Is they generally take time to respond..?? or I need to do something else rather then directly mailing them...Please note I mailed them through my personal Gmail Account..is there any thing like that they will respond only when I mail them through the email address link to the license or something like that...

I am asking for this because I am mailing the Adobe support for the first time and didn't aware of any formalities associated to get a response from the adobe support.....Stefan Gentz (Adobe)​ and @PeterGrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 27, 2019 Jan 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stefan & Peter....

just got the reply from the Adobe support...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 10, 2021 Sep 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So, what was the reply? Using the commandline compiler so that the server that compiles the rest of the software can compile the help too, while a specific sw build can be started by any sw engineer who committed a change, is quite standard practice. I mean, isn't that the point of having a commandline compiler in the first place? The writers who create the help in RH itself could generate their output from the GUI just fine. A commandline compiler is meant to be included in server scripts and the like.

Note that the SW engineers starting a build do not use RH in any way, shape or form to make changes to the docs, they just start a build of the software including the docs. The build server then compiles everything. I can't imagine Adobe doesn't allow for this, because that would rule out using RH for many sw companies that want to automate their doc generation. It would be ridiculous needing a sw license for any sw engineer just so they can start a build.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp