Exit

Table Formatting in 2019 Non-Classic

New Here ,
Apr 17, 2019 Apr 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't seem to center a table. Alignment is centered:

SnipImage.JPG

I could not find any definitions for "Position," "Display," or "Column Span" in the User Guide, so I have no idea what the settings should be if any. I have "Position" as "inherit" since it is within a paragraph that has the centered alignment, which I thought it would inherit. Help!

SnipImage2.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 17, 2019 Apr 17, 2019

You can centre a table using CSS by setting the left and right margin for the table to 'auto' .

I'm currently on 2019.0.5 where there's a bug which means I can't set these through the UI. So, firstly try to type or select auto in the left and right margin fields. If you can, you should see the table magically centre on the page.

If you can't type 'auto', continue reading.

If you can't select or type 'auto; in the Margin fields (for example, in RH2019.0.5), you need to edit the code view:

1. Make sur

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 17, 2019 Apr 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can centre a table using CSS by setting the left and right margin for the table to 'auto' .

I'm currently on 2019.0.5 where there's a bug which means I can't set these through the UI. So, firstly try to type or select auto in the left and right margin fields. If you can, you should see the table magically centre on the page.

If you can't type 'auto', continue reading.

If you can't select or type 'auto; in the Margin fields (for example, in RH2019.0.5), you need to edit the code view:

1. Make sure you've selected the table tag correctly. 'table' will display at the top of the Properties pane. 

2. Set left and right margin to 20px (or any number really).

rh2019-centre-table-1.png

3. Switch to code view. You'll see a table tag similar to:

<table cellspacing="0" class="table" style="margin-right: 20px;margin-left: 20px" width="50%">

All we care about are the margin-left and margin-right values.

4. Change margin-left and margin-right to auto:

<table cellspacing="0" class="table" style="margin-right: auto;margin-left: auto" width="50%">

5. Switch back to Author view and marvel at your centred table. Note that the margin values display completely wrong.

rh2019-centre-table-2.png

You can also do the same for specific table styles in your stylesheet so tables with that style are centred.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2019 Apr 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Perfect!! Thank you so much!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp