Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

TOC is incorrect in Word Generate

New Here ,
Nov 27, 2017 Nov 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I generate a Printed document with RoboHelp 2017, the TOC is incorrect.

I checked the option "maintain HTMLheading level"-- I guess this will get the same TOC as the html5 output, but it didn't.

The TOC is like the following:

Chapter 1

• Topic 1
  • Topic 2
  • Topic 3

Chapter 2

• Topic 4
  • Topic 5

But the TOC in PDF output is like this:

Chapter 1

Topic 1

Topic 2

Topic 3

Chapter 2

Topic 4

Topic 5

How to make the TOC work corretly?

Plus, in HTML5 output, I bind a topic to each Chapter title, this is, when I click the book title (chapter title), I can see the bound topic. Usually, the topic which is bound to the chapter is a summary of the chapter.

Chapter 1 (Topic1)

• Topic 1-1
  • Topic 1-2
  • Topic 1-3

Chapter 2 (Topic 2)

• Topic 2-1
  • Topic 2-2

In PDF output, the TOC is shown as:

Chapter 1

• Topic 1
  • Topic 1-1
  • Topic 1-2
  • Topic 1-3

Chapter 2

• Topic 2
  • Topic 2-1
  • Topic 2-2

If I generate the PDF output, it will like this:

Chapter 1

Topic 1

Topic 1-1

Topic 1-2

Topic 1-3

Chapter 2

Topic 2

Topic 2-1

Topic 2-2

Generally, the Chapter title and the title of the bound topic are the same. For exmaple:

Getting Started with iPhone

Getting Started with iPhone

Topic 1-1

Topic 1-2

Topic 1-3

Making Calls

Making Calls

Topic 2-1

Topic 2-2

The experted TOC in PDF output should be:

Getting Started with iPhone (This is Topic 1, not Chapter 1 title)

• Topic 1-1
  • Topic 1-2
  • Topic 1-3

Making Calls (This is Topic 2, not Chapter 2 title)

• Topic 2-1
  • Topic 2-2

Any suggestion?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 06, 2017 Dec 06, 2017

Please see Printed Documentation on my site. There I make the point that the TOC you see in the second page of the Print SSL dialog is the TOC selected in the first page as it was when you first selected that TOC. If you subsequently change that TOC in Project Manager, it will not be changed automatically in the second page of the print dialog as well. Thus the print TOC in the second page is independent of the online TOC.

In this case, you need to remove the book and add the topic in the print l

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 28, 2017 Nov 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RoboHelp for Word is a product that last shipped with RoboHelp 10. It is not the same thing as Printed Output from RoboHelp HTML.

You say

The TOC is like the following:

Chapter 1

• Topic 1
  • Topic 2
  • Topic 3

Chapter 2

• Topic 4
  • Topic 5

But the TOC in PDF output is like this:

Chapter 1

Topic 1

Topic 2

Topic 3

Chapter 2

Topic 4

Topic 5

Are you simply getting at the fact the topics are not indented in the Contents page? The solution would be to generate a Word document using a Word template where you have set the styles to do just that.

I'm not clear on quite what the issue is with the other points. Are you saying topics are repeated so you see the one bound to the book twice? I thought that issue had been fixed several versions back. The simple solution is to remove the topic from the TOC in the print layout.

These issues are covered in more detail in the Printed Documentation pages on my site. Take a look at those and then post back if still stuck.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring information

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2017 Nov 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, peter,

Thanks for your advise.

I found the problem of my issue:

Each topic has first-level title, that is the problem why there is no indent in my generated TOC in PDF.

The other issue is that: My TOC in robohelp is like this:

Book1: Introcution of Smart Phone (linked to Topic: introduction of smart phone)

• Topic1: Smartphone Overview
  • Topic2: Smartphone highlights

Book2: Making Calls (linked to Topic: Making Calls)

• Topic3: Making Calls via Dial Pad
  • Topic4: Making Calls from Contact List
  • Topic5: Making Calls from History

I works perfectly if I generate a HTML5 with this TOC, when I click the book title, I can see the linked topic.But, if I generate a PDF document with this TOC, I get repeated title, like thisIntroduction of Smart PhoneIntroduction of Smart Phone

• Smartphone Overview
  • Smartphone highlights

Making CallsMaking Calls

• Making Calls via Dial Pad
  • Making Calls from Contact List
  • Making Calls from History

How can I generate PDF document without the book title, but only the linked topic.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 01, 2017 Dec 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem you are facing with the PDF is one that used to occur with online help. It was fixed there but my guess is not in printed documentation.

Go to the TOC In the printed documentation layout. Leave the book but delete the topic below it. Then you should get the topic printed once only.

Take a look at Printed Documentation on my site. This problem is covered there. Also see the section suggesting you create a TOC for print in Project Manager. When you change the online TOC, it is quick and easy to do the same in the print version. Refresh that in the print SSL rather than edit there.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2017 Dec 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, peter.

But my problem is that I want to delete the repeated title, and keep the topic.

If I delete the topic which is linked to the book, I can only get the title in PDF output.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 05, 2017 Dec 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My understanding is this.

Book A - Linked to Topic 1 - Click the book to see Topic 1

Topic 1 - Click this and you also get Topic 1.

Topic 2 - Click this to see Topic 2.

In print

Book A shows in the TOC

Topic 1 - Prints once

Topic 2 - Prints once.

Thus online there are two links to Topic 1 but in print you see the topic once. Correct?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2017 Dec 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for my description. Let me explain it again.

Say that, the TOC is:

Book title: Smartphone Introduction (linked to topic 1: smartphone intruction)

• topic2: smartphone overview
  • topi3: smartphone hightlights

ONLINE OUTPUT

Book: Smartphone Introduction  - linked to topic 1, click to see topic 1

• Topic2: smartphone overview
  • Topic3: smartphone highlights

PDF OUTPUT

Topic 1: Smartphone introduction

• Topic 2: smartphone overview
  • Topic 3: smartphone highlights

Smartphone Introduction

This chapter describes the overview of the smartphone and the highlights of the smarphone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 06, 2017 Dec 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please see Printed Documentation on my site. There I make the point that the TOC you see in the second page of the Print SSL dialog is the TOC selected in the first page as it was when you first selected that TOC. If you subsequently change that TOC in Project Manager, it will not be changed automatically in the second page of the print dialog as well. Thus the print TOC in the second page is independent of the online TOC.

In this case, you need to remove the book and add the topic in the print layout. The method I recommend though is to duplicate your main TOC and name it something like Print TOC. Edit the Print TOC in Project Manager and then select it in the print dialog.Whenever you change the Print TOC, remember to clear everything in the second page and then add it back in. This is what I suggested earlier.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2017 Dec 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks so much, Peter!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp