Exit

Topic Helpful? Yes/No Function

Enthusiast ,
Nov 13, 2018 Nov 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

ENVIRONMENT

Running RoboHelp 2017, with latest patches/updates installed. (NOT upgrading to RH 2019 until the paint is dry...)

Generating HTML 5 Responsive output.

Output is hosted on internal network, but plan to move to online/cloud-hosting (e.g., Azure)

ISSUE

I want to provide an element/function similar to the following at the bottom of each topic. (Yes and No (or thumbs up/thumbs down) are separate selectable graphics; when selected, the topic title and/or file path + file name and response are recorded in some data repository (database, etc.) - I'm not looking for a confirm dialog - just record it on select. A bonus data point would be if we could capture the user's location via IP address, or similar.):

Did this help? Yes | No

NOTES

Microsoft and Apple BOTH do this.

Microsoft: Did this solve your problem? Yes/No

Apple: Helpful? Yes/No

The Adobe AIR output used to (maybe still does, but since no one's generating AIR output who knows...) support a star/rating function so users could RATE THE HELPFULNESS of a topic. That's the general idea, however I just want something straightforward - Yes/No.

I don't want to spend $10k on RH Server to get this.

I have developers who can probably help with this, but if there are RH users on here that are doing this, and able to share details on it, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Basically anything like that needs a database behind it and that doesn't come with RoboHelp, other than with server which, as you point out, comes at a cost.

I haven't seen a solution posted and will await yours.

See www.grainge.org for free RoboHelp and Authoring information.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the response, Peter.

There must be RH users out there that are doing this. What about Google Analytics Event Tracking? I wonder if anyone is leveraging that tool for this type of function.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do a search of the forums - I know people have added GA to their master pages. Here's another approach - https://www.helpessentials.com/2012/11/03/adobe-robohelp-add-google-1-button/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Jeff.

I've played around with basic GA - inserting the tracking code in the template header, but I haven't done anything with Event Tracking, other than read a little on it.

I think I could get most or all of what I want with GA and Event Tracking, it's just going to be an issue of whether project management green-lights the use of GA and letting them have our data. I was hoping someone on here might've done the harder route - written a script that ties into something like MS SQL Server Express and a database (or some other relatively simple, free or low-cost data store). That's something I could probably figure out and reuse, which would allow me to avoid asking for developer time here at work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Google Analytics will only tell you the number of visitors, not whether the

page helped.

Peter Grainge

www.grainge.org

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

GA provides a little more than that, but correct. My understanding is that the **Event Tracking** tool/function in GA could likely be used to track whether someone did something on a page/topic (like clicked the Yes button or No button).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm no expert on that but I believe tracking such a click requires

something underpinning it. No doubt your developers can help on that.

Peter Grainge

www.grainge.org

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More of a marketing/sales product question, but I'll ask here first - does RoboHelp Server provide/support "...allowing end users to connect, collaborate and share knowledge in a self-service community and support forum..." similar to the Madcap Pulse product?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just thinking a bit out loud here. I'm wondering if GA might actually be able to help.

Wondering if one could use it as follows:

Configure two separate HTML topics that would house the GA code.

Configure one avenue (the YES, this was helpful) to briefly load one of the GA coded topics.

Configure the other avenue (the NO, this was not helpful) to briefly load the other GA coded topic.

My thought here is that you would then be able to analyze results based on which topics were loaded.

I'm surely overlooking something here, but it's a fun mental exercise.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp