• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to delete empty folders in the My RoboHelp Projects folder.

Participant ,
Mar 22, 2016 Mar 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RoboHelp 2015 (12.0.2.384)

Unable to delete empty folders. I get a "Could not find this item" error message. Tried deleting in Project Manager, Explorer, and DOS.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Sep 21, 2016 Sep 21, 2016

Finally was able to delete that folder. I had to go into DOS and find the hidden folder and delete it. DOS makes my head hurt. I didn't use FileZilla because our company does not allow us to install anything not approved. I believe RoboHelp must be doing something under the covers and had a reference to that folder that I could not find.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Couple of things I've run into:

Did you delete the folders elsewhere? Like through File Manager (Windows Explorer)?  If you did, you'll need to recreate the folders there and then try deleting them.

In Project Manager check under Images. If there were images in any of the topics that are gone, the images reside here. You'll need to remove the images from the folders that correspond with your empty folders. These folders are created automatically for the images. I was ready to pull my hair out at one time..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, no luck. I recreated the folders, then deleted them. I still get a "Could not find this item" error message. Since this is an empty folder, it has no images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, so when you recreate the folders, don't delete them outside of RoboHelp. Recreate the folders and then go back into RoboHelp and delete them.  RoboHelp can't delete what "isn't" there. (Even though you can technically see the folders in RH, they aren't where they are supposed to be so RH can't delete them.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or maybe that's what you tried. You recreated them outside of RH and then attempted to delete only from RH and you are getting this message?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes that is what I did. The problem is (I think) that the folder has a . after the name. For example: Sample. Therefore it cannot be created in Explorer and when I attempt to create it in RH, it says that the file is already there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was this folder created by virtue of perhaps importing a Microsoft Word document or was it created from inside RoboHelp at some point?

Share some screen shots showing things?

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 23, 2016 Mar 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is what it looks like when attempting to open within RoboHelp:

03-23-2016 09-01-52 AM.png

When I select this file and attempt to delete it, I get the following error message:

03-23-2016 09-05-38 AM.png

Any thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I'm a bit confused here. From what I've seen in the thread to this point, it seems you are seeing a folder inside a project that is empty and you wish to delete it. But one of the images shows the "Open Project" dialog.

Did you just use that process to grab the screen image? Or are you honestly thinking a project exists in the folder and you are trying to open it from inside RoboHelp? Are you seeing the folder in Windows Explorer?

One thing you might try would be to clobber the CPD file. Fortunately I have a video that shows you how to easily do this.

Click here to access that video

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, of course I would't try to open an empty folder from within RH. As you can see from the screen shot that folder is not within any project. It once contained a project, that's why it shows up in the Open Project dialog box. As I stated previously, I tried deleting in Project Manager, Explorer, and DOS. I get the same error message each time. So it does not contain a CPD file or any other file. It is an empty folder. I suspect that RoboHelp has some type of link to it and that's why I can't delete it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you rename the folder to take out the "."? Although probably not if it is a phantom folder that doesn't exist anywhere.

So, forgive my ignorance, but if this folder used to contain a project, is it also part of another project so that you can see the folder in Project Manager in RH? Maybe my setup is different but if I have my project open, I only see the folders within that project in Project Manager, not the folder that contains the project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, here's the really super confusing thing. If the folder once had a project inside it but all that information has been deleted, at that point you should be dealing strictly with the operating system. You should not even see this folder from inside any RoboHelp project. So it's suspect that you say you are seeing it inside your RoboHelp Project Manager pod.

And in thinking about this, maybe you are confused and thinking the Open Project dialog is the Project Manager?

If that's the case, it's just a matter of understanding and terminology.

When we refer to the Project Manager, we are typically referring to this pod inside the RoboHelp environment:

tmp1.png

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the confusion. Here are the facts:

• This folder is NOT within a project.
  • It used to contain a project.
  • All files were deleted out of that folder.
  • It really isn't in Project Manager.
  • It just shows up in the Open Project dialog box.
  • It cannot be deleted in the Open Project dialog box, Windows Explorer, or DOS.
  • It cannot be renamed.
  • I suspect that there is some kind of link to this file within RoboHelp since it shows up in the Open Project dialog box.

And for your information, I have been working with RoboHelp since it was owned by Blue Sky Software so I am very familiar with it. I have contributed to this forum many times as well. I was hoping for one of the Adobe Developers to give me some explanation and or guidance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL, my apologies if I somehow offended you and led you to believe I thought you were a n00b. Just trying to help sort what may be happening.

I never claim to know all there is to know with anything. But to the best of my knowledge, RoboHelp really doesn't care about folders in that Open Project dialog other than to simply present the folders it finds. Since this is a folder on the operating system, the RoboHelp dialog is presenting it to you as a candidate that possibly contains a project. There should be nothing "RoboHelp related" that would indicate any sort of hook or otherwise that says "RoboHelp has a hold on this folder". So as far as anything RoboHelp related, I think you need to abandon the notion that RoboHelp has anything to do with the folder.

My own hunch is that you will ultimately find that this folder in the Windows operating system has some funky attribute assigned to it and that's what is preventing you from accessing or deleting it.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This doesn't happen anywhere else with any other application. It may be some kind of Windows weirdness, but it only happens in RH.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please give us a screenshot of what you're seeing for this location in Windows Explorer (not in RH). Does the "xxxxx Ticket." folder exist?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

03-23-2016 12-18-01 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so Windows thinks it exists - what happens when you delete it here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I get the following error message:

03-23-2016 12-44-52 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so Windows is confused about the folder's existence - what appears when you look at it in Explorer & check the folder Properties?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I double click, this message displays:

03-23-2016 02-36-36 PM.png

When I right-click and choose Properties this message displays:

03-23-2016 02-37-27 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup, confused. Have you restarted your machine since this folder went AWOL? Did you try creating a new folder with exactly the same name as the wonky one?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I restart every day. I cannot create that folder because Windows won't let me create a folder with a "." after the name. The folder name is "XXXXTicket." I cannot recreate that folder as a project in RoboHelp either for the same reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So how did you manage to create it in the first place?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good question. I was deleting all the files out of that folder in RoboHelp and somehow managed to put a period at the end of the file name. I appreciate your time and effort but it isn't the end of the world if this does not get deleted. I just thought one of the Adobe guys might have a clue. I have never not been able to delete a folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp