Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to generate chm help - debug error

New Here ,
Dec 28, 2016 Dec 28, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I am currently working on a project in Robohelp 2015. I am able to generate pdf, word, webhelp...however while I try to generate a .chm (help file),the file fails to generate and i get a debug error message. Not sure what could be the issue. Can anyone suggest a solution?

Thanks,

Lovy

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

Does the same thing happen if you open one of the sample projects and try generating from there?

Click here if you aren't sure how to do that

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am able to generate help for the sample project and other projects from my local directory. The problem occurs only for this particular project. Could there be a problem with the size of the project? It is close to 300 pages in pdf.

Still trying to figure out....

Thanks,

Lovina

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 29, 2016 Dec 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, that helps to narrow things down. Because a CHM is compiled by RoboHelp launching the separate Microsoft HTML Help compiler, it's possible that something was wrong with your installation of the compiler. Now that we know other projects are fine we know to examine aspects of this project more closely.

My own guess is that you will eventually discover a single topic that is causing the issues.

Just for starters, do any of your topics have file names with odd characters? For me, I consider any character other than 0-9, a-z, A-Z and Underscore ( _ ) to be an odd character and to be avoided. So look over your topic list. Anything that appears to fit that criteria should be renamed.

Assuming you don't find anything there, is anything being reported when you open the Output View pod? The information in that pod may prove useful.

Perhaps consider killing off the CPD and allow RoboHelp to rebuild it. See if that makes any difference.

Click here to view a video of how to kill off the CPD

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 01, 2017 Jan 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

The issue is resolved. There was some cross-reference issue in one of the

topics. Thank you for the valuable inputs and work-arounds, it helped me

learn some new things.

Thanks,

Lovina

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp