• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Where does RH15 store the TOC files for html output?

Explorer ,
Nov 29, 2018 Nov 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to change some TOC links without having to republish the whole project, but I am having a hard time finding the correct file to edit. Can someone tell me what is the name of the TOC file/s where I can alter the link?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Nov 29, 2018 Nov 29, 2018

Thanks for confirming this Rick - I will just generate the project again and not waste more time searching.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, good luck with that!

The TOC/Index/Search are broken into chunks and split into several files inside one of the output folders. WHGData or WHXData if memory serves.

Honestly, unless your project takes two days to generate, you are better off just making the change in RoboHelp and generating again.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for confirming this Rick - I will just generate the project again and not waste more time searching.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's something to consider.

Years ago I had developed a knowledge base/EPSS/Whatever you like to call it that was used by a large call center. As Friday afternoon was the slowest day and time for the call center, that was the normally scheduled day and time to push out updates in order to minimize disruption.

I'm wondering if this is the reason behind your question.

Sooo, one way you could work past it would be to take the topic page the TOC entry links to, and amend the HTML to perform a redirect to the new desired topic page. That would be a fairly simple and fast way to achieve the goal.

If that sounds like something you want to try, fire back and I'll be happy to offer more information on how to achieve that.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, my situation is somewhat similar. I work in a busy health-care related Call Center and our EPSS handles over 70 scripts, all requiring different job aids and supporting docs. These documents - both scripts and supporting docs - undergo endless changes and adjustments. While generating the project does not take much more than a couple of minutes, loading the system to our SharePoint takes about an hour! That's why I thought of going in and making the changes "live" (which I do for minor script changes and supporting docs) - but if a name changes in the TOC, I have to generate the change from RoboHelp and then load to SharePoint. I thought I might save tie by going in and changing the TOC entries manually, but I couldn't identify all the places I had to effect the changes. A redirect sounds interesting though, and I would like to know how to implement it because it could be very useful around here...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure thing

So for a redirect, basically you have one HTML page that has coding in the hidden part of the HTML that essentially says, when I load up, hop over to THIS page.

Basically you achieve it as follows:

Edit the HTML code of the topic the user lands on so you include the following META information at the top of the HTML code:

<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="0;URL='http://InsertPathAndFileName.htm'" />

You replace that bit where it says InsertPathAndFileName.htm with the actual path and filename of the page you want to appear.

You may find other META information in the code. I am given to understand that exactly where this line of code is inserted isn't really important. But I generally insert it along with the other lines of META code.

I find these to be invaluable in certain cases. Also, there does exist a way to insert JavaScript code to make it happen. But I've always been fond of the meta redirect.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Whoa, that simple? I will try this immediately! Thanks Rick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp