• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why does multiscreen HTML5 layout run slow?

Explorer ,
Nov 24, 2015 Nov 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry if this is a noob question but I've looked for a pre-existing answer with no luck.

We've been using .CHM help thus far, but having upgraded many versions to RH2015 we are now looking at swapping to an HTML5 layout. I have generated an 'out of the box' Responsive HTML5 output which is very slick indeed. We don't want to show our help in a browser frame though, and as far as I have figured out the way to do this is via the Multiscreen variant? I've done nothing with this other than remove the phone and tablet layouts, other settings are Adobe default, and it runs s-o-o-o slow, it's unusable. Click index, wait five seconds. Try to move the window, wait another 5 seconds. What am I doing wrong?

I also interrogated Adobe's help, and maybe I'm a little naïve about HTML5 but I found that rather unhelpful too.  So any direct answers to this particular question, and/or where I can find an HTML layouts 101, greatly appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 24, 2015 Nov 24, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the performance issue with Reponsive HTML5 or with the Multiscreen? Normally, I would advise to only use the Responsive, even if you only want a single device layout. (You can tinker with the break points in the editor to control when you see a specific format.)

How large is the project? The size may affect the loading speed but without an indication of your project size, it's hard to say what's causing it and how to work around it.

As for getting started, take a look at Peter's site: Multiscreen HTML5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 25, 2015 Nov 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is a huge file, well over 1,000 pages. The old .chm file is "ok" but looks dated. In comparison Responsive is smooth as butter, but the feedback I have had is that frameless help is the look we want, rather than in Chrome or IE, etc. So I tried out multiscreen, and whilst it looks right it is dog slow. I will have a look at Peter's site and maybe it will help me understand what the differences are and what is going on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 25, 2015 Nov 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Multiscreen HTML5 still opens in a browser window, so a bit unsure why you think it doesn't?

Edit: Unless you mean how it looks when you click the View Results button after generating? But this is only an internal Robohelp viewer and not the viewer the help will display in usually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 03, 2015 Dec 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I build R-HTML5 it opens in a browser and I get bookmarks, tabs etc. This is not the desired look. Building Multiscreen gives the help file in its own box (even if that is just visual), that's what I'm after. Rather like Adobe's own help for Robohelp. If there is some setting I can change to make R-HTML5 appear like what I get by default from Multiscreen, then great - but I'm not experienced enough to know what that is.

Someone has suggested to me it might be because we have one massive help file, rather than breaking it up into several separate files in the same project. That sounds like it might be a good reason, and is certainly something to address going forward, but it doesn't explain the difference in performance of the two methods.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 03, 2015 Dec 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Multiscreen still opens in a browser window with tabs etc. I've attached a screenshot of a sample multiscreen output, and you can see tabs, address bar, menu etc. Using the View option in Robohelp uses an internal RH preview window for multiscreen HTML5; to see how it will really look, right-click on the  SSL and select View with Browser then select the browser you want to use.

As to speed, I've found multiscreen can be slow when run locally, but haven't found any slowness issues running from a web server. It's a bit weird, although I had assumed it was just because my PC was not very powerful.

Multiscreen-browser.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp