• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is my font dropdown blinking in RH 11?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 04, 2015 Mar 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Style, Font and Font Size dropdowns in the upper left of the RH11 window (above the project manager panel) begin blinking back and forth, in time with the cursor, as soon as more than one Design/HTML tab is opened.  Attempting to drop one of those menus to change the selection results in the scroller constantly jumping back to the currently selected option if I try to scroll and usually ends up causing RH to crash.

I am on Windows 7 64bit.

The project I'm currently experiencing this problem in was originally created in RH9.  I converted it to RH11.  When I first converted and opened this project yesterday, I did not experience this problem, this just started happening when I opened it this morning.  I did not notice any Windows updates in that time.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 06, 2015 Mar 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried every related search to this topic and haven't found an answer.  The only clue I have is that the font for my project is Helvetica... but that does not appear in the RH11 font dropdown menu.  I even tried editing the main css and the rhfonset.apj to include Helvetica... but the menu still doesn't show them as choices and still blinks back and forth between the style menu and the font size menu, in time with the cursor blink.

I'm in pretty dire straights to get this project updated soon and starting over to recreate hundreds of pages is not an option.

Please, somebody help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, I just noticed, the word "Repaginating" keeps blinking at the same time at the lower left of the RH11 window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you importing or linking to content in this project? Where’s it located? Is there any Source Control at play here? Do you have the font installed on the machine where the program resides?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are links to 18 PDF's in the project.  Those PDF's are located inside the project files main directory.

I am not working inside source control (the project was downloaded from a GitHub page and was saved locally on my machine).

Yes, Helvetica is installed on my PC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you add the PDFs as Baggage Files to the project?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am picking up this project from a previous person who is no longer available.  How would I tell if those PDF's were added as Baggage files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, another possible clue:  Where I would have assumed (shame on me) that the main.css file was controlling the styles, the File -> Project Settings shows that the fmstyles.css file is being used as the "CSS for Style Mapping.

The fmstyles.css shows Times New Roman as the perpetuated font choice throughout.

Could this be causing the issue?

Any suggestion for the safest way of going about changing that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So that sounds like the content is (or has) come from Framemaker – you can control what the help looks like when it’s created by selecting a “Apply to all” css sheet with your desired formats/fonts/etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Project Manager pod, toggle the icon that looks like an upside down funnel. A “folder” called Baggage Files will appear in your project – expand that to see if they are included. If not, try right-clicking and adding them. That will ensure that they get included with your help output (which is going to be what, exactly?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Show Baggage Files IS checked, but I do not see a folder of that name in the Project Manager pod.  I also cannot find any of the PDF's anywhere in the Project Manager pod.  I do know that the links to the PDF's do all open the PDF they are supposed to... so there's that.

Anyhow, I'm a bit uncertain how PDF's being baggage files or not would impact the font and style dropdowns???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your links may not work when you generate the help if the PDFs aren’t included; anyways, let’s figure out if your project is pooched or your install; try one of the sample projects – is it misbehaving? If no, then it’s your project; if yes, then your RH install is pooched – reinstall it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's the project.  The sample projects do not have this issue.

Yes, I do see Baggage files now (thanks for pointing that out Captiv8r).  I have a boatload of folders in there (which don't seem to have any contents) which match the TOC.  There are 7 of the 18 PDF's from the project folder at the bottom of the Baggage directory.  These same files show under the Project Files directory in the "Global View" option.

As for the blinking font and style dropdowns, I backed up the project and then opened the File ->Project Settings again and took the gamble of changing the CSS for Style Mapping to "main.css" from the original "fmstyles.css" and applied that.  I half expected the whole project to poop itself... but so far, so good.  The blinking has gone away (for now) and Helvetica shows as an option in the menu list.

Wish me luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't sweat the folders. Many of the "pseudo-folders" (Baggage, Style Sheets, Multimedia, etc.) are mirrored. That's because each of the folders you see inside are the actual folders that are part of your project. Think of the psuedo-folder (the one with the icon) as being very much like a "filter". It shows only the content matching specific criteria. For example, only showing image files used in the project.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, close but not quite. It's not the funnel icon you want but the folder icon. Depending on the view being presented, it will either have some glasses or a globe on it.

tmp1.png

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL Rick - this is what I get for not having RH open in front of me when I'm trying to describe where to look!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2015 Mar 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stubborn Puppet,

I'm having the same issue - blinking drop-downs, and then RH 11 crashes. I can't edit any styles or fonts. I too converted my project from RH 9 to RH11.

Were you able to resolve this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 12, 2015 Mar 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I "think" so.  For now at least.

It turned out that my Project Settings were pointing the CSS for Style Mapping to "fmstyles.css".  I had made edits to my "main.css" file to include the fonts that the original project in RH9 was created using, so I pointed my projects CSS for Style Mapping (go to File ->Project Settings) to the "main.css" and saved and it is fine so far.

I assume that editing the fmstyles.css file to include those fonts would have also worked... but I'm not very good with CSS, so I didn't want to have to edit another if I didn't have to.

So, I'd start with finding out which CSS your project is Style Mapped to and add any fonts that were used in the original project to it.

Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2015 May 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, for some stupid reason... the blinking font and style menu selector is back.  Just started happening for some reason I cannot explain.

I've still got the "main.css" selected in the project settings... and I haven't made any changes to it... so I just don't get it.

This is really becoming an issue as I cannot work on the project in many places because the blinking menus interfere with my ability to select styles for new content that I'm adding.  If someone from Adobe could possibly look into and address what is causing this, that'd be super.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You’ll have to contact Adobe Support if you want someone from there to have a look at it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For anyone to "look into this" will likely require you providing a copy of at least a few topics in a project where this is happening.

Note that the majority of us here are users same as you. But if you want to make a copy of the project and remove nearly all of the topics and leave behind only a few where the issue still happens, I'd be happy to take a look at it and see if I can sort it for you.

Your call... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2015 Nov 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the "temporary" help resolving this issue.

Have you found a permanent solution to this by any chance? We are also looking into upgrading to RH 2015 (we use v10 right now). Maybe that will help...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp