• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Artifact Problem?

Explorer ,
Jun 12, 2018 Jun 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys I am new and have had some photos accepted but others that I was sure should get in were rejected for artifact problems. Below are 3 low res version of the images and I would love some suggestions as to what the issue with the images might be and if they could be fixable. If it helps I am happy to post the camera details in an update to the post. Sure all 3 may not be the most interesting of images but I still can see potential uses for all of them.

Autumn Leaves-3.JPG

All I can think of that could be the issue is that it has a relatively short depth of field so the main leaf is not all sharp and maybe they think I have applied a vinette.

DSC_0223.JPG

I got no idea at all of the issues.

LRM_20180606_142714.jpg

This one is slightly noisy in some areas but not in my opinion to a level that should put anyone off. It was taken with my phone but in raw and lightly processed to increase the saturation a little and straighten it as it was very slightly off. The only other thing I just noticed is the 2 white panels but I could not do anything about them beyond generating my own textures to fill but I would assume if that was an issue the customer could just as easily do the same.

TOPICS
Contributor critique

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 13, 2018 Jun 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm afraid that as you have provided low res versions, and the rejection reason is for artifacts, it is not possible to tell, as when looking at this greater than 100% artifacts are introduced anyway! And, the image is too small at 100%

So, you really need to provide full res to get any meaningful advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 13, 2018 Jun 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah I guess I had not thought of that. I have cropped a portion of each then and they are below. I think they should be a good representation of the image at 100%. I very much doubt that there should be any spots or other defects in the parts of the image I have not shared.

Autumn Leaves-3-p.jpg

DSC_0223-p.jpg

LRM_20180606_142714-B.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 14, 2018 Jun 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, it is a bit difficult to say, as you have only selected a portion of the image. However, in your first image of the leaf, it looks as if you have given it a sepia tone. It is better to keep to colour and not use any type of special effect filter, as the buyer can do this themselves.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again for responding. As I am not sure how secure this forum is I felt it was better to not upload the full image in case it might be stolen. Sure they may not be the greatest images but still.

As for the leaves I can't check at the moment as my computer that I edited it on is broken but I am fairly sure that the image is natural colours and not toned. I very rarely do that but it could be possible as I took and edited it over 2 years ago. I have heard that before here but many of the photos I have looked at to see what is similar most seem heavily filtered.

It would be good to get some feedback on the other 2 images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps it would help to review the full meaning of artifacts. For Adobe Stock, it seems to refer to something that is left behind that should have been repaired, taken out or might even refer to too much processing causing noise or blurring where it is not wanted.

When I put in a pattern via  Photoshop and then repeat it with the stamp tool, it leaves an artifact of overlap and blur. I have to delete that area and start over and use less processing.

Because these are older photos taken a few years ago, artifacts might have occurred over time. The rocks have a very dark - unnatural black between the rocks. Almost like it was painted in and not natural light.

The leaded glass photo also has blurred streaks occurring in the glass and several other areas that have now become unsharp. Please look at these at least 100% magnification to see them clearly once your computer is repaired.

Best regards, JH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your comments. I have gone and searched for the original of the gravel which I had assumed I had used but it would seem I had edited it too to increase the contrast I have included a smaller version below it would be nice to know what people think if it would be worth trying again? One thing I remember from when I took it was in the middle of the day so it was always going to have strong shadows.

I have had a look at the bar image and I am not sure I am seeing what you are as I don't really see anything you are describing that I have put in anyway. The stained glass has a lot of texture and varying translucency and maybe that is what you are seeing as defects in the image which I have not control over. I certainly don't notice any major issues in the image when it is small I guess I was expecting anyone using it would l likely only be using it small on a website or maybe print article anyway so any defects if there are any would not be noticeable. As I mentioned in the original post this picture was taken with my phone in LR CC mobile and then edited in it too. I guess there is a slight chance that my phone lens may not have been as clean as I thought?

DSC_0223 o.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, your other gravel image compared to this has a lot of contrast, so that can be a problem. Can make it look a bit 'grainy'.

Your leaf shot, maybe not have so much contrast applied, and for the stained glass bar shot, well, that is the nature of stained glass - having 'blurred streaks '. Maybe contrast is a bit too high here as well! You have to think about this yourself.

Try using auto tone in PS if you have it - I did this with the leaf and you get this:

I can see that it has natural colours now! You may have been a bit off with your levels.

AL3+from+raw.jpg

Often, images get rejected for artifacts - being noise, over post processing (even if minimal has been done - it depends on the image) etc. There are a lot of factors to consider. As you upload and get accepted and rejected ones, you'll learn what works and what doesn't.

This applies to your other thread about IP rights - you'll learn what works and what doesn't over time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An update now that I have gotten home and managed to look at the original raw image of the leaves. Looking at it side by side against the edited one I would say all I have likely done is changed the levels a bit and possibly added some sharpening or clarity but apart from that, all the colours are natural. I have exported an unedited version that is small just to show what the original looks like.

AL3 from raw.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be sure, you will need very good equipment and professional handling and start fresh after you read the guidelines set by Adobe. The photos you present will work for you if you reshoot them. The work you present must be fresh, your best and meet the market needs and standards. The general demand by Adobe Stock buyers is not for small photos with errors that don't show in the small frame. Buyers will make something as large or small as they want from top-notch large format work.

To learn more about the type of content Adobes looking for, please visit this page: https://www.adobe.com/go/stock-contributor-help

Best regards, JH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 19, 2018 Jun 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Update: I thought I would update everyone on 2 of the photos. I resubmitted the leaves and gravel photos with a more natural edit applied to them and both have just been accepted. I would guess that must have been their issue with the photos then. I have not tried again with the bar photo yet as I have only just gotten my main editing computer back up and running so will have to try applying more noise reduction on the image as I think that could be the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines