• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Baffled at rejection due to exposure problem

Community Beginner ,
Mar 21, 2019 Mar 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had this food image rejected twice now for 'exposure problems' and I am completely baffled as to where the exposure problem is. I have been a commercial photographer for over 25 years and I know what a good exposure is and there is nothing wrong with this as I see. It has an excellent histogram from light to dark with no excessive blown out highlights except for a small specular highlight on the spoon which is to be expected. The shadows are not blocked up and show good detail. I did several other shots in this same setup with the same lighting and they were all accepted. What could possibly be the reason this is found to have an exposure problem, cause I don't see a problem.

Ice Cream-Brownie dessert.jpg

TOPICS
Contributor critique

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would suggest to decrease the highlights a bit and increase the shadows a bit as well as use the adjustment brush to bring the shadow area up just a bit to on the 'darkish' side of the cake to get this:

Ice+Cream-Brownie+dessert_exposure.jpg

I think that's why it got rejected because of exposure. The cake is just a bit too dark. (Maybe)

Otherwise, it is well exposed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, diphotog, I also like this photo but what does bother the quality for me is the brandy so out of focus and can be taken out...and the spoon highlight is too high key white. Maybe take it out too. Try one more time after you adjust it as suggested. Best regards, JH

Read guidelines for contributing to Adobe Stock.

https://helpx.adobe.com/stock/contributor/help/quality-and-technical-issues.html

Select an article:

ON THIS PAGE

For content to have commercial value, it must be high quality. Learn about quality and technical issues and how to avoid content rejection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 23, 2019 Mar 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you can tell by the contradictory advice that only the reviewer knows for sure.  The blurry brandy glass is certainly fine (nothing to do with exposure).  I also think your image is fine as is.  I doubt the advice above will change the reviewers mind (but who knows).

My suggestion would be to make the image brighter.  Brighten the tablecloth on the left side and that will likely brighten the dark chocolate cake a bit too.  I find the AS obsession with "exposure" a bit bizarre.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 24, 2019 Mar 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Cake and ice cream is underexposed and there are shadows. Not sure about the shadow part being all that important, but if the ice cream is supposed to be that yellow, why is the whipped cream yellow, not white. I think the exposure problem is two parts. Under exposed and color is off. There's a yellowish tint to the whole thing.

Table cloth is a nice white which makes the ice cream and whipped cream look bad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines