Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exposure problem

Explorer ,
Feb 13, 2019 Feb 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

could you someone recommend me what change should be done when editor means that both images have exposure problems? "Unfortunately, during our review we found that it's either over- or under-exposed, so we can't accept it into our collection."

Thx.

_MG_7205_small.jpg

_MG_7209_small.jpg

TOPICS
Contributor critique

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 14, 2019 Feb 14, 2019

Just a point,

I think that the images are overexposed a bit, there are signs of clipping in the highlights, and yes there is a lot of red -but there would be because there is a lot of red. I don't think that saturation is a problem here.

exposure org.jpg

Histogram in first image.

After exposure correction using Camera raw Filter - (as this a jpg image) you get this:

_MG_7205_small.exposure.jpg

corresponding histogram:

exposure correction.jpg

The blacks are still a bit clipped, but I don't think it matters here as it is coming from the dark shadow areas of the blueberr

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi beaver1234, I love these photos. It looks to me that they are oversaturated while the exposure might not be a problem. Take a look at exposure under the image adjust menu. Also, use Curve to adjust these and play with them until they are perfect saturation, exposure, and hue. I will also invite in Jacob Bugge and davescm

to have a look. Best regards, JH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thx for the answer.

I checked white and blk point double times and also to me it looks OK.

Histogram looks OK as well.

If it is oversaturated they should write problem with saturation and not exposure...

The image was not arranged, was taken at street food market.

I could reduce colors, saturation, however there is visible trend to make especially food more saturated, I mean very saturated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

If you look at the histogram, the red channel is blown on those images, particularly the first image below. I have added a green color fill layer set and set Blend if to 255 to highlight where the blown areas are.

Dialing back the stauration and red in the conversion from the raw image would bring that back under control

I hope that helps

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello and thx for the answer.

I checked few spots (eyedropper 3x3) and here is my opinion.

I highlighted 2 spots (approximately), both are inside that green area.

One is in that almost but not fully white cream and another one is inside red area.

"white" spot has 225/253/254 in RGB or 0/1/6/0 in CMYK

"red" spot has 255/104/90 in RGB or 0/71/60/0 in CMYK

When one colour of RGB or even 2 colours are set for 255 it does not mean that this is not colour.

Both spots are not white really, there are still some colours, especially "red" spot.

Probably no printer is able to print 1% of the color only, but good printer should print at least 3%.

Both spots are in printable areas.

It still does not give sense why images were refused.

_MG_7209_small_02.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello again beaver123, In general, you are nearly correct - specifically, you must remember that the company who purchases your photograph will want the pleasure of adjusting many things  - especially the saturation - trend in very saturated but in their hands. In this case, less is more. Kind regards. JH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

It is good to fully utilise the channels but your images show more than just the normal specular highlights reaching the digital maximum. Whilst it is indeed your perogative whether to blow the red channel , or any other, it is also Adobe's choice whether to accept your image for stock use which may involve subsequent conversion to other colour spaces.

The red channel issue is easily addresed in the raw conversion stage with minimal impact on your images which, incidentally, I do like.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi beaver

Camera Raw show a lot of clippings of highlights especially on the back items. Therefore to correct the issue you need to reduce the "highlights", and possibly take off a little on the "lights". If you use Photoshop, open the image in camera raw. I'm not sure what OS you use, but on Windows, hold down the "alt" key on the keyboard while you drag to reduce highlight. Do the same when reducing "light" (for some other OS Ctrl is used instead of Alt). Once you remove all the clippings, and the display becomes totally black while the "alt" key is held down, it means the correction is made. Once that is done, your photo should be ok for reupload.

I hope this helps

Best wishes

JG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello and thank you to all of you. I made new images and will try to upload them again. Thx.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your are welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 14, 2019 Feb 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just a point,

I think that the images are overexposed a bit, there are signs of clipping in the highlights, and yes there is a lot of red -but there would be because there is a lot of red. I don't think that saturation is a problem here.

exposure org.jpg

Histogram in first image.

After exposure correction using Camera raw Filter - (as this a jpg image) you get this:

_MG_7205_small.exposure.jpg

corresponding histogram:

exposure correction.jpg

The blacks are still a bit clipped, but I don't think it matters here as it is coming from the dark shadow areas of the blueberries.

The overall exposure needs to be balanced more.

The second image is a similar situation.

That's my opinion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines