• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

File size mp4 and mov and what to upload

Community Beginner ,
Oct 01, 2020 Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a 20 second clip original format in mov. Exporting with adobe media quicktime adobe stock uhd creates a 1.8GB file, export to mp4 with adove stock uhd creates a file 0.1 GB.

That's a lot of compression difference.

Is it recommend to upload the mov. file ,the mp4 file or both to adobe stock?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 01, 2020 Oct 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since each re-encoding lowers quality, it is getting you further from the original. I observe in https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/stock/contributor/help/video-requirements.html it says "Use a professional grade transcoding tool such as Adobe Media Encoder to retain original video quality and avoid recompression whenever possible."

Still, it is a very big difference. What are the original and compressed frame size and CODEC? How did you generate the MOV in the first place? I've seen this sort of size from After Effects, but that's for making intermediate files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 02, 2020 Oct 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shot on Lumix S1 mov 4k, 10bit, 150, M24p format. Post processing done using latest adobe Premiere Pro and media encoder, everything in Windows.

Adjusted with input LUT, Alexa_default _LogC2 Rec709 with minor tweeks, then stablized using warp stabalizer, then created MP2 and MOV files using the Adobe Stock presets stated in my question.

Original MOV file grew from 0.4 GB to 1.8 GB MOV and 0.1 GB MP4 on using adobe transcoding.

Thanks

Here are the technical detais of the final MOV and MP4  files
Type: QuickTime Movie
File Size: 1.75 GB
Image Size: 3840 x 2160
Frame Rate: 23.976
Total Duration: 00:00:22:12
Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.0
Alpha: None
Color Space: Rec. 709
Color Space Override: Off
Input LUT: None

Created with: Adobe Premiere Pro 2020.0 (Windows)

QuickTime Details:
Movie contains 1 video track(s), 0 audio track(s), 0 closed caption track(s), and 1 timecode track(s).

Video:
There are 540 frames with a duration of 1001/24000ths.

Video track 1:
Duration is 0:00:22:12
Average frame rate is 23.98 fps

Video track 1 contains 1 type(s) of video data:

Video data block #1:
Frame Size = 3840 x 2160
Compressor = Apple ProRes 422 HQ
Quality = Most (5.00)

Timecode:
Timecode track 1 contains 1 type(s) of data:

Timecode data block #1:
Start Time = 00:00:00:00
Reel name =

For the MP4

Type: MPEG Movie
File Size: 107.74 MB
Image Size: 3840 x 2160
Frame Rate: 23.976
Total Duration: 00:00:22:12
Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.0
Alpha: None

Created with: Adobe Premiere Pro 2020.0 (Windows)

Video Codec Type: MP4/MOV H.264 4:2:0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You left out the video bitrates, which is pretty much the most important data, but forced me to go to the reference, which is no bad thing. 

According to Wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_ProRes) the expected bitrate for 3840 x 2160 at 25 frames per second is 492 Mbit/sec which is about 62 MB per second.
So 23 seconds might weigh in at 1400 MB / 1.4 GB. So your file size is as expected for this compression method. As Wikipedia says "ProRes is a line of intermediate codecs, which means they are intended for use during video editing, and not for practical end-user viewing"

On the other hand, MP4 is designed for delivery to the end customer.

I think a key question is "what is the original quality". A small sample of reviews suggests the Lumix S1 may have a bitrate of 72Mbps. It's arguably pointless to increase this as high as 500Mbps, it's like blowing up a small picture to large. Or is it? I've run the theoretical numbers, which check out, but I'd be much more interested to know what video contributors are actually using to submit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First thanks for forcing me to educate myself on bitrate.

Original footage data rate 146,743kbps - useless to upload as footage requires a LUT

When adobe stock preset used data rate 653,411 kbps  -useless as well

Using other pro res presets and QT -mov got as low as  295,313kbps -maybe of use to someone

MP4 file rate reduced to 39,289 kbps

I see other stock videos available in mov with varying bitrates. Be interesting to know how arrived at.

It appears I should upload the MP4 file, but should I also upload a mov file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have Premiere Pro to use, there are export settings specifically designed for and labeled for Adobe Stock exports that optimize your files for Adobe Stock. Well worth checking out in my opinion. 

Good luck,

Mat Hayward 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 03, 2020 Oct 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

[Windows Mail junk code removed by moderator.]

Thanks Matt, those adobe stock presets were used. Work well with H.264 (MP4) but problem relates to Quick Time (mov) files ballooning in size.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines