• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Inconsistent Image Review Process (IP)

Community Expert ,
Aug 06, 2018 Aug 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A week or so ago, my image of the memorial monument (called Soul Consoling Tower) at Manzanar National Historic Site was accepted. Today, a similar image taken from a different perspective and in portrait rather than landscape orientation was rejected for "Intellectual Property Refusal". It's a cemetery monument at a public site, so I'm not sure why it is considered IP. Anyone have any idea why one image is accepted and another rejected?

Jill C., Forum Volunteer
TOPICS
Contributors

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Aug 08, 2018 Aug 08, 2018

In my opinion, the only logical conclusion is the inscription. This makes the image identifiable - therefore you would need a release for the image. So, it was probably an oversight by the moderator. Other structures like the Golden Gate Bridge probably come under a different category.

The whole topic of IP rights, I think is a can of worms!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Aug 10, 2018 Aug 10, 2018

Even if photography is encouraged, that does not mean that "commercial" photography is allowed. The moderation team is made up of many individuals. We cannot know the specific permissions allowed by all locations in the world therefor in many cases we are required to make a judgement call based on past experience with other images of a similar nature. In most cases, the moderators are told to err on the side of caution. I'm sure that is what happened here. My opinion is that both photos probably

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 06, 2018 Aug 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JC,

We probably be able to help you figure it out if we'd seen the images. However you might be able to do so after going through Property release and protection guidelines for Adobe Stock . Also look through Known image restrictions and tagproducts_SG_STOCK-CONTRIBUTOR_i18nKeyHelppagetitle . I hope this helps.

Best wishes

JG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 07, 2018 Aug 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First image was accepted; second image was refused as an IP violation.2012-08-22-IMG_5858.jpg2012-08-22-IMG_5859.jpg

Jill C., Forum Volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JC

These images are really nice. I am not sure about the writing on the monument since I do not speak that language, however I can safely say your image was rejected because of the signature. Apparently the moderator did not notice it on the portrait because its done in the color of the image. That is clearly an oversight. The other however was done In in the lighter area and is more noticeable. If the signature is yours, you'll need to upload images without your signature. Do's and don'ts for selecting and editing photos for Adobe Stock will give you a summary of guideline for you to follow. Read all the information on tagproducts_SG_STOCK-CONTRIBUTOR_i18nKeyHelppagetitle as well as links attached and also the links attached to the "Adobe Contributor Guide" PDF. Also you'll find Property release and protection guidelines for Adobe Stock helpful.

I hope this helps

JG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The signature is for sure a refusal but I do not think that this is IP violation. The handling of monuments is a little bit erratic with all stock photo providers.

But the refuser could refuse simply because of the inscription...that he can't read.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was looking more so on one accepted and the other rejected, of which I figured it had to do with something that is not obvious. But now looking back on it, it is possibly they were both handled by two different moderators, One could read the inscription, and it was a cause for refusal, while the other couldn't and decided to approve it, and of course not seeing the signature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes! all depends on the time frame. That the OP could probably enlighten us. And also if the signature was on the original submissions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A very valid point

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, the watermark was definitely not on either of the originally submitted images. The above 2 were just quick exports from Lightroom this morning...  Which makes we wonder whether having the watermark check box activated in Lightroom causes a watermark to be applied when the images are submitted to Adobe Stock. I sure hope not !

Jill C., Forum Volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The watermark is not on the image uploaded to Adobe Stock. (I just verified that again.) I quickly exported the above images from Lightroom to create a small jpg to copy into this forum, and a watermark was applied at that time. So that's not the reason... But I will check other images I've uploaded to Adobe Stock recently to be sure they haven't accidentally acquired my watermark.

Jill C., Forum Volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Therefore it has to do with the monument. It might be the fact that it is a monument, or the inscription, or both. In any case the one approved is an oversight. Monuments/landmarks are not really accepted without Intellectual Property Release -  Property release and protection guidelines for Adobe Stock .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually it says:

Property types that may require a property release:

• Famous landmarks, historic locations, and modern architecture

Apparently it's not a hard and fast rule. I'm quite sure that if I post an image of the Golden Gate Bridge it will not need a property release! Nor the arched gates to Yellowstone. So there are a lot of famous landmarks that don't need a release. I just wish we could know in advance which ones do...

Jill C., Forum Volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd suggest you read all the information of all the links I post including all the sub-links, and what ever other links you're directed to, and submit according to the guidelines as outlined. Additionally, I also suggest you view the rejections as additional guidelines. At the end of it all the moderators are the ones that make the final decision. You will find out soon enough that it is pointless debating their decision.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 08, 2018 Aug 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have read all of the posts and FAQ's on the Adobe Stock site numerous times, trying to glean additional information about what works and what doesn't. The whole point of my post is that there is an inconsistency as to what is accepted, which probably simply boils down to human fallibility among the review staff. I was skeptical as to whether the first image would be accepted, since the guidelines aren't definitive. When it was, I went ahead with the second image and was surprised (and disappointed) when it was rejected. By the way, there are other images of the tower on the site - probably without a release, though it's not possible to know for sure.

Jill C., Forum Volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi JC,

The acquisition of Fotolia.com introduced a huge number of photos that are not in line with Adobe's guidelines. There is currently a team working on removing them. This will however take a very long time. Therefore it is a bit difficult now to make comparisons since you are not aware of which of these images are accepted as against those that are pending review. I can understand your concern, and the fact that you'd like to get it right once. We all do. However, I'll still maintain that for now you follow the guidelines as best you can, and if there's anyway further I can assist, I'll update you on the subject.

Best wishes

JG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JC926  wrote

Anyone have any idea why one image is accepted and another rejected?

A different reviewer with a different view on the subject.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's my assumption, but there doesn't seem to be a way to question their decisions...

Jill C., Forum Volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Photographers signature in both photos - one is easy to see, the other was missed by a reviewer. The shrines are sacred to those who own it. They might not like their personal and private things commercially published - they surely would need to sign a release for either of these photos. Good discussion. Regards, JH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Joan,

The signature isn't on those submitted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Aug 09, 2018 Aug 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The photos submitted have the signature in this forum. JH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

joanh22203655  wrote

The photos submitted have the signature in this forum. JH

This has been answered prior on this thread (just to be sure people reading this will find the correct answer easily): Re: Inconsistent Image Review Process (IP)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The watermark was on neither of the images submitted to Adobe. The monument/shrine is definitely not personal and private. It is located at the Manzanar National Historic Site in the Eastern Sierra (where Japanese prisoners were interred during WWII). Photography is allowed (and encouraged) everywhere throughout the site, even inside the museum. The characters translate to "soul consoling tower" which is how I titled the image.

Jill C., Forum Volunteer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 10, 2018 Aug 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Even if photography is encouraged, that does not mean that "commercial" photography is allowed. The moderation team is made up of many individuals. We cannot know the specific permissions allowed by all locations in the world therefor in many cases we are required to make a judgement call based on past experience with other images of a similar nature. In most cases, the moderators are told to err on the side of caution. I'm sure that is what happened here. My opinion is that both photos probably should have been rejected. This is clearly a structure designed and created by someone which makes it their intellectual property. It is clearly recognizable and does not appear to be more than 120 years old.

-Mat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my opinion, the only logical conclusion is the inscription. This makes the image identifiable - therefore you would need a release for the image. So, it was probably an oversight by the moderator. Other structures like the Golden Gate Bridge probably come under a different category.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ricky336  wrote

I think we can agree on that...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines