• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Rejected for image quality/technical issues. Corrections made. Any other issues?

Explorer ,
Jul 26, 2019 Jul 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First time submitting to Adobe Stock. Four images were accepted; one rejected for image quality. I reviewed the rejected image and retouched a white spot in the sky and reduced colour noise using Lightroom. The second image is the corrected one. Can anyone else find more image quality issues?

Note: Both images have been resized to 900 x 707 dpi, and the white spot in the sky of the first one does not appear (probably why I missed it when the image was originally printed - not an excuse for missing it in my submission - still learning).

montreal

montreal

TOPICS
Contributor critique

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Jul 27, 2019 Jul 27, 2019

Just one more tiny thing, after you love the photo you are working on, look at it as a customer -someone who will want to be able to use it, change it and not have to repair it in any way. I have found that the closer I get to a dramatic finished work of art, the less likely it will be approved and/or purchased. Let the customer make the heavy saturation and contrasts extreme. Best wishes, JH

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, charking,

Yes, you were right to check out the sky. However, there is more to be done. White balance is not great. Try selecting the sky with the magic selection tool and adjust your white balance.

Then check it for noise. Look at all of your work at 100 - 200 % enlargement to see trouble spots. If you are new, study the guidelines for stock submission - see below.

https://helpx.adobe.com/stock/contributor/help/quality-and-technical-issues.html

ON THIS PAGE

Applies to: Stock Contributor

In general, the quality of the photo is not up to par. Oversaturated and the exposure needs adjusting. If you are able to bring this photo to a more marketable color saturation level, it too should be accepted. Congrats on the other accepted photos.Regards, JH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, JH, for your comments. You have made me go back to my original photograph as it came out of the camera over 2 1/2 years ago. It was taken during a late fall afternoon about 1 1/2 hours before sunset, and I worked in post-processing at pulling the afternoon glow of the sun out of the photo. I do like the photo as it is. It was originally presented as a print in a show of mine, and I think it worked in that context.

I did check the white balance on the clouds in my photo, and it changed minimally depending on which part I chose. If one chooses to do a white balance on the tugboat in the lower right hand corner, however, one gets the result below. Habitat 67 is made entirely of concrete, and the colour of the buildings in this photo is closer to what it would be in bright sunlight. But the blues are way too strong.

This whole process is making me think of what stock photography requires. I emphasized the coming sunset in the photo but without any image of the sun to indicate the time of day. In that sense the photograph is misleading to the viewer and wrong assumptions can be made. Regardless of any possible noise remaining after my initial correction of the colour noise, as it is currently processed the photograph is probably not a good candidate for stock photography.

Sigh, back to the drawing board.

Thanks again,

Charles

montreal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 27, 2019 Jul 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, In my view, I think your white balance is actually fine, whereas your above example is obviously not. I can't see any other issues, in the corrected example.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just one more tiny thing, after you love the photo you are working on, look at it as a customer -someone who will want to be able to use it, change it and not have to repair it in any way. I have found that the closer I get to a dramatic finished work of art, the less likely it will be approved and/or purchased. Let the customer make the heavy saturation and contrasts extreme. Best wishes, JH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi charking,

Your overall image is too cool. You need to add a little more warmth to the image that will more show the presence of sun.

The first image appears to have too much contrast along with the grains as you have acknowledged. I believe that is the closest to what could be the best image to upload. Add a little warmth, cleanup the grains, reduce the contrast, and/or saturation a bit. Probably lighten the black a bit, which might mean darkening the shadows a little to reduce hazy whitish appearance.

The second image also has a bit too much blue and needs some warmth. Sky is also too saturated, and the appearance of grains.

The white balance of the third image is way out.

Best wishes

JG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 28, 2019 Jul 28, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, everyone, for your comments. They have been very useful and I will keep them all in mind. I will resubmit the photograph after reworking it. I might add that I was sloppy the first time around, not doing a careful check at 100%+ and picking up the white speck in the sky and the colour noise. I especially appreciate JH's last comment, something I will continue to keep in mind for future submissions.

Thanks again, all.

Very best wishes,

Charles

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 29, 2019 Jul 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My first pictures got also refused and I learned from those refusals. A refusal does not mean per se that the picture is bad, only that it does not fit the needs of Adobe stock. I do not submit some of my best pictures because I know that I would get a refusal for this or that reason. Basically because they are artistic pictures (camera movements) or black and white (matter of choice) or simply won't get the needed model releases.

Stock photography is about craft nor art (mostly... ). You are highly welcome to post your next refusal... or to start to comment on other refusals as soon as you know the process.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines