• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Rejected for over exposure

New Here ,
Mar 12, 2017 Mar 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This image was rejected for being over exposed. Do they just look at histograms when making these calls. I wanted a high key image to just get the silhouette of my white cat. Any recommendations on dealing with intentional over or under exposure for artistic effect? Thanks for the advice.

IMG_0253a.jpg

TOPICS
Contributor critique

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 13, 2017 Mar 13, 2017

A silhouette is the image of a person, animal, object or scene represented as a solid shape of a single color, usually black, with its edges matching the outline of the subject. This is not a silhouette as we can't see the edges of the cat.

I get the artistic line you were going for, but I don't think your image fulfills it. For one thing, there's a weird yellow blotch on the right side that detracts from the image (you might not see it if your monitor's brightness is too high or is otherwise inc

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Mar 13, 2017 Mar 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A silhouette is the image of a person, animal, object or scene represented as a solid shape of a single color, usually black, with its edges matching the outline of the subject. This is not a silhouette as we can't see the edges of the cat.

I get the artistic line you were going for, but I don't think your image fulfills it. For one thing, there's a weird yellow blotch on the right side that detracts from the image (you might not see it if your monitor's brightness is too high or is otherwise incorrectly calibrated - the splotch is even with the cat's chin on the far right edge). A second problem is the cat gets cut off in the bottom and left. For this to be useable, I think you'd want the cat less cut off and more lost in the white. Also, is your original image larger than the one you posted here? If not, it's way too small.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 14, 2019 Jan 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I could easily simulate that effect with a correctly exposed picture, but I can not bring back the lost information. Stock photography is less about artistic interpretaions of your wonderful cat but it’s about usability for the mainstream. Expose it correctly on your white background and the image would be great for stock even if it lacks the artistic appreciation that you gave the image.

Stock is a craft not an art!

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines