• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Rejected for "out of focus"

Participant ,
Jan 16, 2019 Jan 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I submitted 5 images, similar subject but distinctly different. 4 or 5 rejected for "out of focus."
These are macro shots with shallow depth of field, but main point of focus is clearly in focus.
(Image was also shot at F11, on tripod, with remote shutter). This image is one that would be used for backgrounds, etc.

Similar to this, thought different items

adorama.evyy.net/5nr4N

Suggestions are appreciated. thanks

TOPICS
Contributors

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 17, 2019 Jan 17, 2019

I think for a shot like this you need all parts in focus and sharp - the edges are clearly out of focus,

Annotation 2019-01-17 focus.jpg

Therefore the 'out of focus' reason, but I think here it is to do with depth of field. Did you use a rather large aperture?

I don't think the moderator was being over critical. I think all parts should be sharp and clear.

So, I would use a smaller aperture to increase your depth of field. You said you used F11, so try a bit higher. Maybe take a series at different apertures to get the 'one'. The

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not see your pictures? Would you mind to post them here? Use the image icon to insert an image. To start with, one of your images would be enough.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMG_8840_straws small ed.jpgEdit

Not watermarked on the submission for stock.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello CinBrandon, I am certain Abambo will reply to your photo posting.

I am an illustrator and see the work as delightful because of form and color. There are a few bits out of focus, not much. Some of the bits are very strong and seem somehow edged with white which makes them stand out as even sharper than the others in the background. Perhaps the contrast between front and back is a problem too. Stay tuned for Abambo, I am curious what he will say too. Best regards, JH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Watermark is a non-conforming refusal and that would probably be the first issue, as the moderators take the first reason they find...

There are 2 posibilities:

The moderator first saw the parts that are out of focus and refused the image. That would be bad luck by getting a very critical moderator.

Second and that is what I think:

The tubes simply need to be in focus to use such an image. The first buyer would rant about the focus and your picture would get taken out then. I love the pictures, I love the colours, I love the tubes, but the first thing that disturbed me were the out of focus areas. It does not look correct. I would try focus stachong and resubmitting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the insight.
(submitted image was not watermarked.)

After I looked at it more, I wonder it the making sure I'm focused on the closest tube, and letting the others fall out of focus would work. Current image, it looks like I was focused on middle of the stack.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi CinBrandon

Tubes towards the left are definitely out of focus. In a case like this it is better to set your camera to take wide or close to wide so that you have more focal points. This will result in sharper image outline.

Regard

JG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info and help.

I was using 100mm prime. Still learning. I appreciate the feedback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I looked at the image using my iPad and there I can’t do precise image analyzes, but it simply didn’t « look right ».

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2022 Mar 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, this is how it make a speciall pattern for an picture.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 17, 2019 Jan 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think for a shot like this you need all parts in focus and sharp - the edges are clearly out of focus,

Annotation 2019-01-17 focus.jpg

Therefore the 'out of focus' reason, but I think here it is to do with depth of field. Did you use a rather large aperture?

I don't think the moderator was being over critical. I think all parts should be sharp and clear.

So, I would use a smaller aperture to increase your depth of field. You said you used F11, so try a bit higher. Maybe take a series at different apertures to get the 'one'. The 100mm at macro will give a narrow DOF.

Also, try and include the whole image and not cut off the straws on the right.

By the way - you very clearly mentioned that you uploaded the pic without the watermark.

Great use of the colours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 04, 2022 Mar 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Para que esta foto te quede completamente enfocada vas a nesecitar hacer un focus stacking , que consiste en  hacer varias tomas con diferntes enfoques del objeto  y posteriormente  juntarlas en photoshop, para ello debes hacerlas con un tripode y una iluminacion  que no sea variable, solo tienes que cambiar el punto de enfoque desde la parte mas alejada hasta la mas cercana, para hacer esto debes hacer el enfoque manual, no te sirve un dispositivo movil tienes que hacerlo con una reflex o una sin espejo. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 04, 2022 Mar 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In order for this photo to be completely focused, you will need to do a focus stacking, which consists of taking several shots with different approaches to the object and later putting them together in photoshop, for this you must do them with a tripod and lighting that is not variable, you only have You have to change the focus point from the farthest part to the closest, to do this you must do the manual focus, a mobile device is not useful, you have to do it with a reflex or a mirrorless one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines