• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

When are Releases for Attractions and Landmarks Necessary

Explorer ,
Jul 13, 2018 Jul 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to submit photographs taken on a recent trip abroad. I have reviewed the Adobe Stock library (content) and I find many pictures of the same places/monuments, etc. similar to those that I am about to upload. In the upload window, the question is asked:

Recognizable people or property?

If "yes" is clicked the image is not enabled for upload. These are very popular attractions and of course they are recognizable. It is hard for me to believe that these statues, churches and landmarks with dozens upon dozens of uploads to Adobe Stock have releases with them.

How can one determine if a popular landmark needs a release?

How do I get to upload these files that have dozens of pictures of them on stock sites?

Thank you for your consideration.

Regards,

Jeff Ross

TOPICS
Contributors

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 16, 2018 Jul 16, 2018

There is no "one" answer to this question. It totally depends on the location and the context of the image.

A good starting point is our list of known restrictions. This is in no way all encompassing of every location on Earth but it's got a lot of the more popular places around the globe to shoot: Known image restrictions

Most ticketed locations have restrictions in place on commercial use. It doesn't hurt to ask a representative of the location you are wanting to shoot either.

Good luck!

Mat Hay

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 16, 2018 Jul 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no "one" answer to this question. It totally depends on the location and the context of the image.

A good starting point is our list of known restrictions. This is in no way all encompassing of every location on Earth but it's got a lot of the more popular places around the globe to shoot: Known image restrictions

Most ticketed locations have restrictions in place on commercial use. It doesn't hurt to ask a representative of the location you are wanting to shoot either.

Good luck!

Mat Hayward

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I often search images already submitted and accepted to see if I should upload my image of a particular place, landmark, etc. Wouldn't it be a worthwhile procedure to place an icon next to images that have a release associated with them so other contributors, when searching the images, can note that a similar picture would also likely need a release?

Thank you for your considered response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Legal basics

Ask yourself if the person in the image would recognize themselves or if the property owner would recognize their property. If the answer is “Yes,” you need a model or property release. In the case of an identifiable property, investigate whether the item is protected by privacy, trademark, or copyright law, because a property release may be required. Some buildings and places of interest cannot be used for commercial photography. Refer to Known image restrictions.

Files that contain logos, trademarks, company names, or brand names (examples: Apple, Nike, Gucci, and BMW) can’t be accepted. In certain cases, you may be able to submit work where logos, trademarks, company names, and brand names are digitally removed. Files that contain images of copyrighted material, such as artwork, sculptures, or architecture, cannot be accepted unless you include property releases from the creator and/or copyright owners. See, Legal guidelines.

I found this helpful for a general understanding of the complexities of the copyright and model releases. It is certainly not easy. Regards, JH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 17, 2018 Jul 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

So let me ask you this...there are, what appears to be, dozens of pictures of the Monument of Discovery in Lisbon, Portugal. I have one ready to submit, but there is no release. I cannot believe that these dozens of photographers have submitted releases. This is a monument that is by the riverside for people to send and appreciate. I am pretty sure that any effort to get a release would involve a lot of red tape.

BTW this monument is not listed on the restricted list that Adobe provides.

Having said that, do I just submit my picture of the monument and ignore the question that asks if there is "Recognizable Property."

Thank you for your thoughts!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines