• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

A Great 'Chef knife' for the Kitchen Queen !!!

Community Expert ,
May 05, 2024 May 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A dozen or so years ago I bought an 'H brand' kitchen knife set at Costco... great knives, except very soon after buying the set my wife started talking about her 'favorite' knife (the 8" Chef knife) not staying sharp very long... so I got into a routine of using a sharpening stick pretty much every time she wanted to cut something
An Eon or two later I decided to find a better knife... I found a review site https://www.foodandwine.com/lifestyle/kitchen/best-chefs-knife with knives from $170 down to the 'best budget' knife for under $40 being the Paudin brand from Japan (oops... steel is from Japan, knife is made in China)
I clicked the link on the review page (as well as several other links to learn more about kitchen knives) and read Amazon customer reviews... and also clicked the link for the 'better' forged https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VXJBZJZ Paudin knife made using the 'folded layer' Damascus process
Some other information I found while searching & reading
All good kitchen knives are made from stainless steel using two processes... stamped knives are cut out of a sheet of stainless steel and then finished by having the edge ground on the cut blade... a forged knife starts with the cut blade and is then heated 'white hot' and quenched in water to make the blade stronger and harder
The hardness of a blade is measured in 'Rockwell units' with a 'good' knife having over 50 units
The 'H brand' knife set I bought is 'consumer grade' and 'consumer priced' (I think about $50 when I bought it back a Zillion years ago) and I could find NOTHING about the Rockwell rating for stamped knives (my 'guess' is that a company only advertises the Rockwell rating when it is worth mentioning to attract buyers)
I found a current forged 'H brand' Chef knife (with their self described 'four stars' in the product description) with a 57 Rockwell rating (aha! they want to brag so mention the rating!!!)
With a $20 coupon on Amazon I decided to buy the '67 layer' Paudin knife, which has excellent 'fit & finish' for a beautiful looking knife... it has a 60 Rockwell rating... wife LOVES the look and feel and sharpness of the 'Damascus' blade... with a 60 hardness rating (we always use on a bamboo cutting board) she should stay happy for many years
PS - 'H brand' is Henckels... not allowed to use other brand names for Amazon reviews

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 08, 2024 May 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have a magnetic knife strip with various oversized kitchen knives on it, the ones that don't fit in drawers.

The serrated Henckles (three rivets in the handle) is the one I reach for most. It cuts anything & never needs sharpening.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 08, 2024 May 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The set I bought has a serrated 'bread knife' that I sometimes use... wife ONLY uses the 8" Chef knife, and she is REALLY happy with the Paudin's super sharp edge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines