• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Provide support for Linux (2011)

LEGEND ,
Apr 27, 2011 Apr 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was wondering if Adobe released any Photoshop versions for Linux? Because I looked everywhere in Adobe's site but I could not find any information.

Idea Declined
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 01, 2021 Oct 01, 2021

We currently have no plans to build a version of Photoshop for Linux.

Status Declined

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 666 Replies 666
666 Comments
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2020 Jul 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're about 15 years behind in this evaluation. I pay for a lot of software, but am in the process of switching to Linux due to MacOS -> iOS evolution and Apple's Intel -> ARM change. I was previously a Linux user in the '90s and I paid for StarOffice, Corel's full suite, and a bunch of other software.

Software costs personally run about $3k a year for me, and at my company it's far more. The reason few pay for software on Linux today is that there are precious few companies selling any software for Linux.

In the '90s, there was a "build it and they will come" movement htat fizzled because Linux just wasn't ready. People tried but had a bad experience with the Linux desktop environment, which was in its infancy. But times have changed. The Linux desktop is now a very, very good experience. This time around, if you build it, they will come.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 19, 2020 Aug 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm in the same situation. I use Windows for FL Studio only, but now need it for Lightroom and Photoshop.

I tried running Windows in qemu, but it's a real hack trying to get everything to work with my graphics card and other things; all of which amounted to too much effort.

Using VM Fusion is certainly a possible alternative, but it's a bit pricey and purchasing a software license to run other paid-for software (Windows) that runs paid-for Adobe products is just frustrating and expensive.

Having a dual boot system is super-inefficient as far as workflow goes; as I'm sure you know.

After using Linux for quite a few years, it becomes apparent just how up-sell-bloated Windows is when you go through an install. All the options default to giving away personal/usage/system information either explicitly or through not-so-cleverly disguised services. At least there's the Windows Debloater script and Anti-Beacon.

Macs were amazing when they first came out and I was certainly blown away to use one in 1992; but they are locked down so much and it's more a case of Macs own people rather than people own Macs. When I had an electronics/computer repair business, so many customers came in with the same problems with Apple products; typically around access and flexibility.

I've only got the trial version of Lightroom/Photoshop and if I can't find a relatively easy way of running it on Linux, I'll stick with darktable/RawTherapee. I currently use GIMP and have done quite a lot of cool stuff with that; so I don't really need Photoshop.

Lightroom is just really quick and easy for processing HDR images and has good support for Phantom 4 Pro lens correction.

darktable is cool, but it also has some quirks too; though it has good support and will likely improve even more as time goes on. The developers have done an amazing job of it.

RawTherapee has super-amazing color-balancing tools (best I've seen) and does an incredible job, but doesn't produce HDR images.

The biggest advantages I see for Lightroom are that it is easy to use, quick, does a great job and with Photoshop, can handle everything from RAW captures to exported HDR images. It also has terrific community support and is stock-standard as you know.

I have been using Kubuntu for years now and it's so clean, non-distracting, simple, powerful and a breath of fresh air compared to both Windows/MacOS. I try not to run down Windows/Mac though as they were the operating systems I learned on back in the days when I was a very proud tech-guy and I thought I knew a lot about computers. Linux soon humbled me. Having said this, nearly every time I use Windows on my dual-boot system, I'll say at least once, "F&cking Windows!"

~ Sympathies 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 05, 2020 Sep 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

linux is the major OS in vfx-industries. all major compositing and 3d are available for linux. why not photoshop ? that would be very useful !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Sep 05, 2020 Sep 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would YOU put up the $$$$$$ for the rewrite? Considering the TAM, unlikely that will ever happen!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 21, 2020 Sep 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally agree! Linux support would be awesome!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 28, 2020 Sep 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the current rise of desktop Linux marketshare and amazing modern distributions these days surely it would be a great idea to finally get Adobe software(mostly Photoshop, After Effects and Premiere pro for me) running on Linux?

We've, figuratively, thrown our Macs out of the window and now create our poster ads and TV commercials exclusively on Linux.
Parts of the team do miss the Adobe suite for workflow purposes but also swear to never return to either Mac or Windows.

Please take it into consideration again Adobe, you're missing out on a heap of potential customers who just happen to love supporting an open source environment that just runs better than the competition.
Adobe software and Digital Audio Workstations are the only things keeping Linux back from its full potential.

"Adobe's decision to join the Linux Foundation is a natural extension of its commitment to open standards and open source, which demonstrates its leadership and foresight in the software industry," said Jim Zemlin, executive director at the Linux Foundation."

Seeing as Adobe fully commits to open standards and open source this would be nothing short of a natural move for the company.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 28, 2020 Sep 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I totally agree, especially point 4 makes the Adobe usage skewed. We used to boot into MacOS to be able to use Adobe until we decided to ditch Mac completely so now we just use open source replacements on Ubuntu.

If people stop using Adobe on Mac or Windows they'll see a drop in users and only then take it seriously.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A good alternative and having the best of both worlds is a Hackintosh. Even more so now that even AMD Rizen processors can be used without problems.
You can have an upgradeable PC and use Mac OS x with your favorite programs.
There are sites dedicated to Hackintosh that practically have distros that install themselves and with very little to configure.
You just have to take into account having compatible hardware, which is not difficult.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is that Adobe don't see money in supporting Linux and they do have too much difficulties with the framework they use to support MacOS so they don't want to support yet another OS. At the same time Adobe saves loads of money while they are using Linux for their backend system delivery systems, so the extra cost for supporting Linux could have been taken from the savings from using Linux and in that way contributiong something back to the community.

At least Micrsoft do pay pack to the community with applications and code to the Linux kernel, it's nice to see that Linux is now capable of being Hyper-V host, this of course mainly for the Azure but could also be a steping stone in swapping kernel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The product user-to-user community has no influence over what Adobe does.  This entire topic has been moved to the Lounge.  If anyone wishes to make a feature request where product developers will see it, use the form below.

https://www.adobe.com/products/wishform.html

Thank you.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll make this as simple as possible.

(1)    The market share for Linux (in percentage) on the desktop (or laptop) continues to shrink over the years. That isn't a value judgement as to the quality or performance of Linux, but a reality.

(2)    It takes at least as much effort (measured in staff, time, and money) to produce, test, and distribute Linux-compatible releases as it does releases for Windows and MacOS, possibly much more given different development tools required and the multiple “distros” of Linux.

(3)    Quite often we find that Linux users expect their applications to be at much lower prices than those for Windows and MacOS versions or possibly totally free. That makes no business sense at all give both (1) and (2) above.

If it makes no business sense, then such versions are simply not going to be produced.

- Dov Isaacs, former Adobe Principal Scientist (April 30, 1990 - May 30, 2021)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2021 Apr 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want modern image editors that work well on Linux then I'd suggest trying out Pixeluvo (a native Linux Photoshop Elements equivalent) or PhotoLine with Wine that gets a Platinum rating for working so well with Wine (a full Photoshop / Affinity Photo / PaintShop Pro equivalent). If anyone wants to try out PhotoLine then I'd suggest looking at the PhotoLine guides from Russell Cottrell and Evren Comert.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 19, 2021 Apr 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regarding Photoshop equivalents, I'd suggest Pixeluvo ( = Photoshop Elements) and PhotoLine + Wine ( = Photoshop / Affinity Photo / PaintShop Pro).

With RAW editors, you've got more choice in the form of Darktable, RawTherapee, LightZone (all free) and the paid-for Corel AfterShot Pro (I have used this software and I think that it's fully competent).

The only way to find out if they will work for you so that you can make the full time switch to Linux is to try out these softwares and see how you get on with them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have heard this nonsense for years. Most people (ie most of the people paying for software) aren't going to switch to Linux. Period.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@aronh97973235 wrote:

I doubt Adobe reads these forums.

This is a user-to-user forum and we do not work for Adobe. If you want to tell Adobe, do it here:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/photoshop/photoshop-provide-support-for-linux/5f5f44fd4...

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, Unfortunately I'm also part of the 4-th point. If only this restart could be avoided. Photoshop/Lightroom are the only things I need from Windows left (I already play all Steam games in Linux).

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 27, 2021 May 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried all of them, Linux with KDE desktop beats both Windows and MacOSX in user experience single-handedly. My ten years old son is using it without a problem daily and when he saw what MacOSX on my company macbook does, he laughed to tears.

Support of applications or devices is a different story - that's up to producers. Those who do support can sell, those who do not may be surprised that once they decide there will be good enough open source tools (or even commercial but supported) good enough and the demand is gone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jun 13, 2021 Jun 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@default6t75pcstai03 wrote:

Can you name a single competitor on photoshop ?

Corel PhotoPaint and Affinity to start. You can do a Google search to find others.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jun 13, 2021 Jun 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

20210613_144029.jpg

20210613_144318.jpg

20210613_144130.jpg

20210613_144514.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 02, 2021 Jul 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to get your facts straight.  Adobe didn't shun Apple.  Apple shunned Adobe.  Steve Jobs refused to allow Flash on iOS, and removed it from Mac OS X in 2010.  His words were something to the effect that every time a Mac crashed, it more often than not was because of Flash.  He also made the argument that Flash wasn't necessary anymore, the Internet had moved on using open standards, which it hadn't, but finally did several years later.  The original letter to Apple employees isn't on the Apple website anymore, but reporting on the letter is covered here: https://www.cultofmac.com/706105/today-in-apple-history-steve-jobs-trashes-flash-in-devastatingly-bl...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 22, 2021 Jul 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have worked for 10 years with Desktop Linux !, and whenever I wanted to buy Lightroom, but I am not going to leave my Linux for it lightroom. so I have to settle for "AfterShot Pro" it is at a good cost !, I think that Lightroom will never exist for linux

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yo llevo 10 años utilizando Linux de Escritorio, lamentablemente no puedo usar el lightroom!, existen manera no muy buenas de usarlos como con Wine, pero yo les recomiendo que utilizen el AfterShot de Corel, es muy bueno! y trabaja bien!.

Desafortunadamente no puedo decir cual es mejor pues no he podido trabajar con LightRoom, pero me dicen que es muy bien., 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

el Darktable los migra por default, ya probaste el AfterShot? y que opinas de el?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Linux is not a supported OS except on certain mobile (Android) apps.

- https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/faq/mobileapps.html

Please ensure your computer meets or exceeds the minimum system requirements to run Creative Cloud + OS + all other apps. Check each one.
- https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/system-requirements.html

Also pay attention to GPU requirements. See links below.
- https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/system-requirements.html
- https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-cc-gpu-card-faq.html
- https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/system-requirements.html

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 01, 2021 Aug 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

after installing linux i canceled the plan with lightroom
and photoshop and I felt sorry for adobe because I will not use the best photo editor in the world

fix this issue and do photoshop for linux

Gimp is not the best photo editor for Linux

or im download photoshop cs6 from wine)

Votes

Translate

Translate