Exit

A rift in the time space continuum

Community Expert ,
Jun 11, 2012 Jun 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have a look at date/time of the  OP and then the posts here:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/502084?tstart=0

Posts # 1-11 are two years and a half before the OP, including post #9 by the OP (poster), posts # 12-13 are half a year before it.

And more than 31,000 (pre)views as shown in the list of threads.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The date/time on the initial message shows the last time it was edited. Someone might have edited the message (removed an email address or phone number, or something like that) on April 18.

I'll edit it again and see if it updates to today's date.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. As expected it now says Jun 11

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, thank you, John.

But when I looked at the Illustrator forum thread list it said Last Post 2 years ago (by the OP) and Modify Date 58 minutes ago, although the last post was then 58 minutes ago and the OP and posts #11 were 2(½) years ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I know, a date change also occurs when a post is removed, such as for spam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 12, 2012 Jun 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed, John, but that leaves the date of the OP unchanged.

Here is another thread showing an even greater rift in the timespace continuum, going back into the days of the fair forums, and the number of views is ten times larger, more than 315,000.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/319423?tstart=0

It seems that the time/date of the OP is just about the same as for the other thread, before the latest change by John.

In both cases, there is/was no new post in the first month after the OP.

This makes it rather a coincidence that someone should go in and edit the OP in two old unrelated threads, and rather strange that it should suddenly attract posters in both threads just about one month later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob Bugge wrote:

Indeed, John, but that leaves the date of the OP unchanged.

This makes it rather a coincidence that someone should go in and edit the OP in two old unrelated threads, and rather strange that it should suddenly attract posters in both threads just about one month later.

Does it, Jacob? I thought that in cases of spam, the date of the OP was changed for several days, after which it went back to normal. And I see nothing strange in spammers choosing highly visited old threads...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio,

I am quite sure that removal of a spam post will only change the Last post date in the forum thread list so it looks funny at the top with an old date.

I believe I have never seen or heard of any changes to old posts, including the OP, in the thread itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob, we either wait for JC or someone else to clarify this, or one of us posts a fake spam message and see what happens when it is removed. I suggest waiting first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I occocaionally see thread that are several years old.  Fools me as I usually don't look at date and I respond like it is new.

Not uncommon to see threads that are several days or weeks old pop to the top without any comments.  Maybe see this once every couple of weeks in Photoshop forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 14, 2012 Jun 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The  number of views in the thread mentioned in post #5 has grown by more than 4,000 in two days, to almost 320,000.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob,

That is unreal. Something odd is happening.

I cannot imagine 320K views, if the title was "Adobe Giving Away Free CS 6 Suites!" That would probably only get about 10K views.

Do we know if there was any spam posted to that thread? Even if it was offers for free unreleased Summer Blockbuster films, I cannot imagine generating 320K views. I mean this is a fairly small communtiy, as opposed to some other forums. My mind is spinning, with not logical thoughts coming through.

Maybe John C., or another Adobe person, can look behind the curtain, and let us know what the deal is.

I have not seen such elsewhere, but will keep my eyes open for it.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just checked some long-running threads elsewhere, and the Views were in the 7K to 8K range, with up to 55 pages of Replies. Even my most popular video articles in Tips & Tricks are 16K to 42K, and those links get posted to three Premiere forums, plus a few Photoshop forums. Not even close to 320K. Now, I feel horribly impotent.

Wish that I could have set up a concession to charge US $1.00 per view...

Yeah, something odd IS happening.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 15, 2012 Jun 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Almost a thousand views more in almost a day with no new posts, so we are well above 320,000.

Yeah, something odd IS happening.

Indeed, Bill.

... with not logical thoughts coming through.

No wonder. Anything may come through a rift in the time space continuum, presumably.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dang,

It's like a nuclear reactor in melt-down mode. Hope that we are not witnessing a thread going super-nova!

Heck, it's not even THAT interesting a thread, but seems to be wildly popular - with someone.

I keep trying to figure out how a spammer could be involved, but haven't a clue.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, no idea on the view count for that thread.

Right now it is at 321,130 views. Let's see what happens over the next few days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One view more, I just looked at it.  I am disappointed, I expected at least 1,000 views more since my theory was that all my counterparts in parallel universes would be counted too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. I rather suspected that a few of my dopplegangers were sneaking off and viewing the thread, but I think that John C. was able to corral them.Must be a whole cage-full, down in the Adobe Lower Basement...

Odd - just plain odd.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just looked at it.

I hope that you were wearing your OSHA-approved welder's goggles. That thing could burn your retynas.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for looking into this, John.

You are more right thank you think, Bill: it has grown 453 views in an hour and a quarter, corresponding to between 8,500 and 9,000 in a day.

Take cover, everyone.

By the way: now the forum list says the Last Post was 4 weeks ago, specifying the 40th post out of 43, the latest one (43) being one day and a half ago, which is in accordance with the Modify Date.

Edit:

I just saw your post, acres. Maybe this will give a number of the parallel universes.

And what Bill is going to say in the next couple of posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 25, 2012 Jun 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The growth of the number of views has calmed down to just over 11,000 in 10 days, so we are on our way down to 1,000 every day. The total is/was 331,844 just now/before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 08, 2012 Jul 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems to be settling at some 1,100 - 1,200 views every day, 14,133 in the latest 12 days without new posts, now a total of 345,977.

It may have decided to secure its top position in Popular Discussions forever, or until the end, whichever occurs first.

http://forums.adobe.com/community/illustrator/illustrator_general?view=discussions#/?per_page=100

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob, I did bring this odd behavior to the attention of the research group inside Community Help & Learning in June. I don't know what they'll do to address the problem, but obviously it's something we have to fix!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would it not be a pity to fix it, and never know what might happen, Terri?

If you must, you may start with the thread linked to in the OP.

Ultimately, it may be impossible to say whether it is actually a problem and something to fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

TerriStoneCHL wrote:

it's something we have to fix!

Are you sure?

It's not difficult to imagine a computer somewhere running a web crawler or something that's just stuck on reading and re-reading this page.  Do you have usage stats to show whether the views are real?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines