• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Forum Admins - What Gives?

LEGEND ,
Apr 25, 2013 Apr 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You've had a major problem with the forum software not for hours, not for days, but for more than a week.  Multiple failures with Internet Explorer.

Has it occurred to you to revert the forum software back to the version that was working prior to whatever "fix" caused these problems with return keys and inability to post?

That wouldn't preclude your continuing to test a fix offline before rolling it out, but it would keep your customers AND expert helpers from having to deal with this abomination.

-Noel

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Apr 25, 2013 Apr 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've noticed in just the last few hours that the Forums slow and even to point sometimes FireFox/SeaMonkey  mistake the post as aspx files to be open by a help Application such as Dreamweaver.

This even applies to the Acrobat Experts list as well. The whole system is flaky.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Apr 27, 2013 Apr 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been on vacation, but a vist to Photoshop Forum shows a complete redo to the top participants list.  John Joslin was not listed before and has now moved up to #4 position.  He passed away about 3 years ago.  Must be the Jive gods working for him.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Curt Y wrote:

Been on vacation, but a vist to Photoshop Forum shows a complete redo to the top participants list.  John Joslin was not listed before and has now moved up to #4 position.  He passed away about 3 years ago.  Must be the Jive gods working for him.

Nevertheless, he is still the 4th top poster on that forum and you can't remove him just because he is no longer with us.  His posts should remain online for others to benefit from them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why? When I pass away I don't expect anyone to remember anything I do. I'll be in graveyard or cow field pushing up daises. I hope people are not expecting him to give answers. Just let his answers fall off the cliff.  The fellow must have been a very prolific writer or The group has very low readership for a 3 year dead person to command fourth place contributor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please take a look at this thread:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4871980#4871980

And I don't understand why your first answer is highlighted...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 28, 2013 Apr 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio González wrote:

I marked it as helpful because the entire system really IS flaky.  Philip has it exactly right.

Having had almost 2 WEEKS to fix the basic editing and posting functions on this accursed site, I have had enough. 

I have just had the system fail to accept a simple textual response I wrote for the last time (assuming I can make this response stick)!

Adobe, as the top contributor in the Photoshop forum, who provides tens of thousands of dollars in free technical support to your customers where your own people are incapable of doing so, I bid you farewell until you make it work right.  If you'd like me back, write me.  Maybe I'll check to see if it's working, and maybe I won't. 

I have better things to do than to be frustrated repeatedly by your inability to do basic web design.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you removed the typekit line in your hosts file?  Things appear to be working in IE10 for me, here, and CoolNovo, and Chrome., and Firefox all in Windows 7.  And IE10 on Windows 8 (non-RT) on a Lenovo Yoga 13 Ultrabook.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi SSprengel,

I'm only answering your specific question because it's apparent I may not have been clear here, and it may help the Adobe folks to fix this if they have a convenient list of what's wrong...

• Unless I push a character in front of the cursor I cannot open more than one new line with the Enter key.  It types it, then it untypes it a tiny fraction of a second later.

• Half the time I'm blocked from posting a response, because the popup "Are you sure you want to leave this page" comes up, then it acts like I've not typed in anything at all.

• Sometimes if I'm deleting characters to the left of the cursor, the cursor just jumps up to the line prior to the one I'm on and starts deleting stuff up there.

All this happens:

• With Internet Explorer 10 on Windows 7 x64 or Windows 8 x64.
  • With IE9 on Vista x64.
  • With or without use.typekit.com blocked. 
  • With custom settings or with bone stock settings.
  • After having cleared the cache and/or cookies.

It's clearly not my systems.  It's Adobe's mismanagement of their web software for users of Internet Explorer (and possibly other browsers).  Frankly, I'll be amazed if I can post this reply without trouble.  I've had to resort to trickery to get blank lines inserted.

I've been all over the web today, and Adobe's site is the only one that I had any trouble typing into, and that includes un-funded hobby sites and even other professional sites that run Jive software like Dell.com and VMware.com.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is my experience that you have to use IE7 compatibility mode in IE9 and IE10 (blue torn paper icon) to get the Enter key to work and you have to have the use.typekit.com bound to the local loopback address in your hosts file to keep the italics away in compatibility mode, but the italics isn't there in IE-native mode. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not find compatibility mode a reasonable workaround.  It breaks other things.  And besides, before a few weeks ago the forum worked just fine in IE10 in IE10 standards mode save for the typekit issues.

Adobe is supposed to be a professional company that knows the ins and outs of content creation, right?  This is deplorable.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 05, 2013 May 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alas, another week has passed and Adobe has done nothing I can detect to correct this issue.

Don't you WANT all your new releases, which are sure to cause a buzz, to be supported by your top forum participants?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel Carboni wrote:

Claudio González wrote:

I marked it as helpful because the entire system really IS flaky.  Philip has it exactly right.

Having had almost 2 WEEKS to fix the basic editing and posting functions on this accursed site, I have had enough. 

I have just had the system fail to accept a simple textual response I wrote for the last time (assuming I can make this response stick)!

Adobe, as the top contributor in the Photoshop forum, who provides tens of thousands of dollars in free technical support to your customers where your own people are incapable of doing so, I bid you farewell until you make it work right.  If you'd like me back, write me.  Maybe I'll check to see if it's working, and maybe I won't. 

I have better things to do than to be frustrated repeatedly by your inability to do basic web design.

-Noel

Noel I don't think you should give up. I've been on the Internet since the days of bulliten Board, White Knight (Red Ryder) 300baud Modems and run across all types of stuff from people being insulting simply because you use a Mac, People and Companies that don't know how to create and run websites. The only thing its done for me is steel my resovle to stick to it. You have to realize Jive is an incompetent company and will always be And Adobe is too Stubborn to realize that they have signed up to an incompetent company and its to expensive to switch or they don't care.

Your participation is valuable and needed.  So I would urge you to stay. If nothing else to keep their feet to the fire.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I brought up the point that John Joslin was now a top contributer, while 2 weeks ago he was not on the list, just to show that Jive has changed the forum in unknown ways.  The statement was not meant to degrade the large volume of great advice John gave over the years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 06, 2013 May 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Checking in again today...

• The problem where the forum pages show up all in italics may have been resolved.  I'm not seeing italics on this page with use.typekit.com unblocked.  It's hopeful to see at least some progress! 
  • I can't tell whether the problem of intermittently having the forum software act like one's response is empty then blocking the posting entirely has been resolved.  I'll have to test further in order to confirm this.
  • I can't tell whether the problem of intermittently not being able to post images has been resolved.   I'll have to test further in order to confirm this.
  • Based on my experience with this post, the problem where one cannot open two lines by just pressing Enter twice without pushing a character in front of the cursor or using Shift-Enter has NOT been resolved.  This is quite frustrating.
  • Whether "text" surrounded by double quote characters is still inappropriately escaped when using WIndows 8 and IE10 remains to be seen after I post this.

At this point I am going to try some additional postings (knowing I still need to work around the quite frustrating Enter issue).

Why is it taking so long to make this site work properly?  Other companies using Jive forum software aren't having these problems as far as I can tell.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel Carboni wrote:

• Whether "text" surrounded by double quote characters is still inappropriately escaped when using WIndows 8 and IE10 remains to be seen after I post this.

Well, that's even more hopeful.  Putting "double quotes" around text worked for the first time I've seen from Windows 8.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alas, not all the problems have been corrected...

I've just had another case where I had typed a response, and upon hitting the [ Post ] button the forum software popped-up the message "Are you sure you want to leave this page?", followed by the error message "you can not post a blank message"...  If I hadn't thought ahead to copy the message to my clipboard before trying to post, I'd have lost it all.  Persistence paid - I finally WAS able to post the response.

ScreenGrab_05_06_2013_103557.png

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like it is time to move to a real browser, like Firefox.  Once upon a time everything worked with IE and the others were also rans.  Perhaps times are achanging, but maybe not for the better.  Win 8 anyone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thing is, it did work with IE at one time - the current version, on both Win7 and Win8.

Yes, at first blush it seems that one possible workaround might be to use another browser, but IE has the security model I need.  Yes, with suitable configuration, IE is actually better.  You might counter with "but just use Firefox on the Adobe site".  Thing is, one often follows links out of forum posts to who knows where.  I don't want to be worrying about that.

Unfortunately, I've been stymied by the error I showed above several times today already.  It's not a pleasant feeling.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FireFox and SeaMonkey both have a Mater Password Feature you can set so nobody can get in without using the password and you can adjust security. Plus you can customize what site are permitted, by adjust Cookie security and other methods.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 07, 2013 May 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Philip.  I'm aware of the security capabilities of all the different browsers.  I have chosen to use IE for a whole host of reasons.  That's not going to change.

This site is the only one I've come across that is so utterly broken when used with IE.  It's certainly not to Adobe's best interest to leave it that way.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel,

I tried last week to use IE9, but I could never even get it to work like a browser.  It just says

Your new Bing Bar is ready to use.

By clicking "OK", you agree to the Microsoft Service Agreement and Privacy Statement. You'll get future updates to Bing Bar and other Microsoft products from Microsoft Update. This software may also download and install some updates automatically.

Could find no way to get around not checking OK, so quit.

Not too long ago at the bottom of the forum pages it would say "powered by Jive version xxxx".  Do not see that anymore.  Perhaps Jive updated the website to a mode that is incompatible to you.  What is strange is that no one else that uses IE has registered a complaint or acknowledged your problem.  But it anyone knows their way around the computer and software I would put money on you, so at a loss why you have not found the smoking gun.

Do other Jive sites work OK?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not the only one using IE to report problems.  Somewhere here there's a thread started by someone else about Enter not working.

I've reproduced most of the problems on 3 different systems (Vista x64, Windows 7 x64, and Windows 8 x64), on both tweaked and stock systems, so I'm quite confident they're here for most folks.

The reason it's not being shouted about more is, I think, this:

An easy workaround is to click the little broken page icon in the upper-right to invoke "Compatibility Mode", which actually does work around several of the problems and gives a much less troublesome experience, though it DOES cause a few other things, such as the page layout to go slightly wonky (I see a horizontal scroll bar, for example, no matter how wide I make the window). 

I suspect most folks just hit that button and don't look back.

But that doesn't mean it shouldn't be fixed and made to work properly in IE10 Standards Mode.

That Bing BS you pointed out is a sneaky attempt by Microsoft to compete with Google by downloading optional updates on your system.  In my book I outline how to set Windows Update up so that it just notifies you and doesn't automatically install anything you don't want.  I think I sent you a copy of my book, no?  If not, or you've misplaced it, please eMail me and I'll see to it you get the latest revision.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The way Google is trying shoe horn itself into everything:

web browsers

Search engines

Phones

Computers

Shoes and Soxs  (just joking here)

Maybe there needs to be some competions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 08, 2013 May 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phillip Jones wrote:

The way Google is trying shoe horn itself into everything...

Is there anything wrong with that?  Google has revolutionized the world of web searching (what did we do before Google; Ask Jeeves?), why not let them revolutionize other vital areas of our lifes?  Google Earth, Picasa, ...

Anyway, we are way off-topic...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines