• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Forum Jive Clearspace software misconfigured?

Jun 13, 2010 Jun 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is extremely difficult to follow threads in the Adobe forums which uses the Jive  Clearspace  software, according to the links at the bottom of every forum page.....

If you dare read a thread and  want to return to the  list of subjects -- you are instead returned to  the first page.   And  that's not the only problem!

I never saw  such an inconvenent forum software, quite  frankly and am thinking that  maybe Adobe has not set it up correctly.

The  way it is set up on the Adobe  Forums gets in the way having useful  discussions -- you don't dare go  to page 10, let's say, and when you try  to return to the page you were  on -- end up on page 1 again.

There is  open source forum software that is far better than the Forum software as implimented on the Adobe Forums -- and I do not mean to insult Open Source

Here  is my post on the adobe forum  http://forums.adobe.com/thread/658911?tstart=0 -- and some responses.

Please  review the thread on the Adobe forum and  if it is configured  incorrectly PLEASE  fix it.  Or dump Jive.

Regards

Rowby

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, the problems you menti

on have been reported since the implementation of the trial versio

n of the new software, and are still here.

Extra line breaks kindly provided by the software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The phantom line breaks in FireFox are not only in FireFox, they are also in:

SeaMonkey

Camino

Safari

Opera

OmniWeb

and

iCab

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rowby wrote:

If you dare read a thread and  want to return to the  list of subjects -- you are instead returned to  the first page.

Yes, that has been a problem from the first day, but it hasn't bothered me much in the past.

However, since the release of Flash Player 10.1, the Flash Player forum is swamped with posts seeking help.  There are several pages of topics that need to be reviewed, and now this problem has become insufferable!

I'm sure that it cannot be intentional to return to page 1 after a topic is read from another page.  This is a bug, or perhaps - as the OP suggests - a configuration mistake.

Please fix this - the Flash Player users are irate enough by the problems with the new software, but not getting timely help makes them even angrier!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 14, 2010 Jun 14, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

rowby,

There is a two step way you have to use, and remember, to avoid the first forum page trap:

1) Go to the top of the thread (you may scroll or click Go to original post (link at the bottom);

2) Click Up to Discussion in [Forum Name] (link between the link with the forum path and the This Question ... box).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob, thank you for reminding

us of these workarounds, which are of course useful.

However, I think it is simply not right to ask users of forums such as these to remember all kind of workarounds for a number of problems that have been here from the beginning. For an ignorant such as me, most of such problems do not seem to be so difficult that they cannot be solved in a couple of months. For example, I seem to remember having read many months ago that the 404 error was solved by Jive and would disappear when the software was updated above version such and such. But we were updated to a version higher than that, the problem is still here, and we haven't been updated again. Almost unbelievable for me.

Extra line break kindly provided by the software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jun 15, 2010 Jun 15, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio González wrote on 6/14/2010 3:48 PM:

For example, I seem to remember having read many months ago that the 404 error was solved by Jive and would disappear when the software was updated above version such and such. But we were updated to a version higher than that, the problem is still here,

If you believe the 404 problem still exist please start a new thread

with instructions on how we can reproduce it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob Bugge wrote:

There is a two step way you have to use, and remember, to avoid the first forum page trap:

1) Go to the top of the thread (you may scroll or click Go to original post (link at the bottom);

2) Click Up to Discussion in [Forum Name] (link between the link with the forum path and the This Question ... box).

Thank you for these instructions; I was very happy to use it today on the many Flash Player forum pages.

It works exactly as expected when only browsing topics, but even this will get me back to page 1 when adding a post to a topic.  (Probably because the topic is moved to the top of the forum.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another way to avoid going back to page 1 if you are on page 10 is to right click

on the post and then select open link in new window or open link in new tab.  When done close window or tab and you are returned to where you started from.

Jive is not the only one that does it this way, but I agree there must be a better way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I frequent a number of forums

, none of them powered by Jive, where clicking on the "Back

" button takes one to the last visited page.

Which is what I u

nderstand by "going back", as oppos

ed to a "First" button, which I would expect t

o take me to page #1...

In my opinion, if they cannot/do not want to solve the problem, at least they should use the correct label for the button.

Extra line breaks kindly provided by the software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On a similar vein, has anyone

tried going to (say) page 15 of the liist of topics of this forum?

Extra line break kindly provided by the software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, another nagging problem.  To go back 8 pages you hav

e to hit the next button 7 times and wait X seconds for each page to load.  Would b

e a lot faster is one could just hit 8, and do

one load.

Also, would be a lot easier to read text i

f we did not get extra line feeds.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Months ago I suggested changing to something like this, used in another forum completely unrelated with these:

Barra.jpg

The main advantages are that one knows from the start and all the time the total number of pages, and that one can move forwards and backwards in leaps of more than a page at a time. In this particular forums, the leaps adjust automatically according to the total number of pages.

Unfortunately, either my proposition was hardly read by anyone, or I convinced nobody of the advantages of this system. And, as I had no backing, my suggestion just went to the trash.

Curt Y wrote:

Also, would be a lot easier to read text i

f we did not get extra line feeds.

At least, text written by people like you and me, who refuse to remove unwanted line feeds they have not introduced.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio González wrote:

At least, text written by people like you and me, who refuse to remove unwanted line feeds they have not introduced.

I used to remove unwanted line feeds to make messages read smoothly, but I then realized that if Adobe wants to have randon carriage returns in the message, then who am I to say they should not?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

H

ear,

he

ar!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Curt Y wrote:

then who am I to say they should not?

You are "Curt Y" and you have all the rights in the world to to say anything you want but Adobe also have all the rights not to hear them!  After all they own this platform not you! Right?

hth

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DWILCOX01 wrote:

function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

Curt Y wrote:

then who am I to say they should not?

You are "Curt Y" and you have all the rights in the world to to say anything you want but Adobe also have all the rights not to hear them!  After all they own this platform not you! Right?

hth

Either you didn't get Curt's point, or my English is today much worse than usual.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You guys do know that by hitting return twice when you start typing prevents the extra line returns. Right?

I for one, would very much appeciate if all you guys would just do that (like I do)...

(Yes, it is an annoying bug, and I assume it will eventually get fixed.)

Harbs

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes we know that, but if all the users " fix" it by edidting the extra line feeds, what incentive would Adobe have to pay Jive to change the code so it works correctly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Curt Y wrote:

…what incentive would Adobe have to pay Jive to change the code so it works correctly?

Adobe does not pay for Jive support but relies on the free support of the public Jive forums.  This was documented in this forum some time ago.  Save a penny whenever you can, and let your customers be damned.

On the other hand, why shouldn't Jive be entitled to withhold any support from a corporation who is using an obsolete version of their software when said corporation (Adobe) categorically stops supporting earlier versions of their own software as soon as a new one comes out?  Just try calling Adobe tech support to ask about a problem with CS4 now that CS5 is out.

What's good for the goose… etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS4 is still (officially) supported. See here:

http://www.adobe.com/support/programs/policies/supported.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try67 wrote:

CS4 is still (officially) supported. See here:

http://www.adobe.com/support/programs/policies/supported.html

That document does not remotely suggest that Adobe might consider a dot release of CS4 at this point.

Besides, the support personnel in India seems to be blissfully unaware of said document, as many users who have sought support by phone can testify.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check this disclaimer in the above referenced page:

"The level of support may differ among versions and among products"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

May I repeat myself?

I think it is grossly unfair to ask users to remember and use a number of workarounds to correct bugs that have been with us for months. I don't always remember to type return twice, and when I find that I have forgotten, I refuse to delete any unwanted linefeeds introduced by the software. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines