• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Fourms does not work with Opera too well

Explorer ,
May 12, 2009 May 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Fourms does not work with Opera too well.  I have to use in Opera "Identify as Firefox just to post this message!

I also have run into the same junk with Hotmail.

Web Design Tip:  Always code for Opera and all other browsers will fall in line most of the time.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jive forums do not support Opera for better or worse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,
May 13, 2009 May 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MikeKazlow wrote:

Jive forums do not support Opera for better or worse.

Just downloaded Opera 6.4 for Mac and went to network setup in preferences, and choose to identify as Internet Explorer, except for the fact that the stylish update for flex-width does not work. works perfectly In fact I am posting this now in Opera. They must be using a Browser sniffer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PjonesCET wrote:

Just downloaded Opera 6.4 for Mac and went to network setup in preferences, and choose to identify as Internet Explorer, except for the fact that the stylish update for flex-width does not work.

The Stylish sheets work in Opera as User Scripts - similar to the Greasemonkey method. Eric "heavyboots" @ MCA has both options available in his userstyles.org Adobe Forums collection. Alternately, you could create a User Style Sheet for Opera, but I think the User Scripts work better in this situation.

I forgot about that "Identify as <other browser>" feature, thanks for the reminder, EastTexas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

glad I could be of service.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

EastTexas wrote:

I have to use in Opera "Identify as Firefox just to post this message!

Now THAT is a ridiculous requirement.  Requiring the use of a particular browser by checking the name?  Amateur hour.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To see if it will work Opera in the File menu has the ability to choose which  Browser it can pretend to be. Choose one of the different browser choices.

In many cases pages work just as well as any other Browser. The site just has erroneous sniffer information.

It should be againts the law to user browser sniffers. But many sites do. Most that use browser sniffers, do so because they are not current w#C standrads code, and don't wish to learn such.

If you can find a browser choice that will allow to work properly just remember to switch to that choice before going to adobe  Forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PjonesCET wrote:

Most that use browser sniffers, do so because they are not current w#C standrads code, and don't wish to learn such.

no that's not it at all. most sites that detect the client browser do so because the developer WANTS to support the w3c standard but a certain browser that currently holds around 80% market share either doesn't support the standard at all or does it incorrectly, so that workarounds are required.

why do you insist on presenting things as fact when you don't know what you're talking about? it's doing a disservice to everyone around you. please stop. post something as a fact ONLY when you are sure it IS a fact.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dave milbut wrote:

no that's not it at all. most sites that detect the client browser do so because the developer WANTS to support the w3c standard but a certain browser that currently holds around 80% market share either doesn't support the standard at all or does it incorrectly, so that workarounds are required.

Dave, hardly think that applies here... if FF works... why can't Opera?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dunno. ask opera developers? or someone screwed up the code and forgot to include opera, only coding for an either or scenario? the latter probably more likely with this setup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dave milbut wrote:

dunno. ask opera developers? or someone screwed up the code and forgot to include opera, only coding for an either or scenario? the latter probably more likely with this setup.

Actually, i think these Jive ACE developers couldn't be bothered and took the easy way out. The entire forums smell of that attitude. Of course, maybe you can't blame the Jive ACE developers... they built a lemon. It's Adobe's fault for buying the lemon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 14, 2009 May 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Opera works better than IE here for me, but yes this POS obviously was not tested in Opera or probably anything other than FF, which is criminally stupid. Jive software should be jailed for laziness and incompetence.

On a plus note, it seems Google Chrome works fine, assuming this posts correctly when I go and click the button...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Google & Google Chrome is little more than Big Brother SpyWare!

This form also uses iFrames!

All iFrames are used for is Adverts & Hackers to take over your computer.

By default I have iFrames Turned OFF in Opera for good measure!

Ban iFrames Save The Web!!!

& yes I used Opera to post this message  8)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

of course you're right east texas. hadn't noticed that. bad bad adobe. someone smack them with a rolled up news paper on the snout!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

dave milbut wrote:

of course you're right east texas. hadn't noticed that. bad bad adobe. someone smack them with a rolled up news paper on the snout!

I've installed a button in my Firefox tool bar to toggle iFrames on and off through a Firefox add-on called "Toolbar Buttons".

The forum Reply Editor does not work when iFrames are blocked, so I need to toggle them back on when posting, then back off.  I imagine that's better than having them on all the time.

AAAAAAAAAA_toggle_iFrames.jpg

Message was edited by: Ramón G Castañeda

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately I can't use Opera here on this workstation, but kudos to you for being an Opera user. Now let's see this crummy software work properly...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines