Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Application Switcher?

Community Beginner ,
Sep 30, 2009 Sep 30, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys,

Quick question: In all of these tutorial video's I'm watching, whenever they switch between Illustrator and InDesign or any other programs, a window pops up on their screen that shows the icons of (I'm guessing) the open programs they have up. Does anyone know what this is, or how to get it? I use dual monitors and while I can alt+tab np, the icons are a bit small and I sometimes have up 2-3 adobe programs + firefox + some MS office programs... it would be nice to have something like what I see in the video's. Thanks guys.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Valorous Hero , Sep 30, 2009 Sep 30, 2009

Hi again

If you have Vista you can get a really slick effect by pressing the Windows logo key+Tab to see the windows in a different manner.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

This forum is intended to discuss issues with the forums themselves. But your question seems to be rather generic and doesn't really apply to a specific Adobe product. So I suppose here is as good as another category.

Can you point us to a video that shows what you are seeing? Or possibly screen capture it and post here for us to see? If you do, please insert the image using the Camera icon so it's visible straight away. Sometimes images end up endlessly queued if you use the attach function.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Rick

I'm so sorry LOL I always seem to hit the wrong forums, but thanks for the super fast reply! Note to self: read stickies from now on. It is generic really, and I've only seen this in tutorials for adobe products, hence why I posted here.

The latest tutorial I saw it on was an InDesign tut on lynda.com at http://www.lynda.com/home/Player.aspx?lpk4=39840 right about halfway through the video, but it's only up for a brief moment. Here is the screen capture of it.

application_switcher.jpg

You can see right there that he's got two programs open, one of them being InDesign. I'm guessing this is some sort of UI tweak for the alt+tab window, to replace it. I'm also going to take a stab in the dark and say that it's on a mac, since most of the tutorials I've come across, the person doing the tut is on a mac. However, I'm on Win XP SP3 so if any of this makes sense to you, and you know where I could possibly get something like this for Win XP, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

Indeed my guess would be Mac. I think the dead giveaway is the smileyface icon. I've never seen anything like this on a PC. I too use Windows XP Professional 3.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah well, thank you Rick. Naturally, right after I posted I changed my search words around a little and found some alternatives to the default windows alt+tab window. Since I can't get that nifty one, I'll try out the Vista alt+tab replacement. It looks decent, when you mouse over the icon, it'll show a preview window of what the other program/software has up. Thanks again for the swift replies Rick! Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again

If you have Vista you can get a really slick effect by pressing the Windows logo key+Tab to see the windows in a different manner.

Cheers... Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 03, 2009 Oct 03, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Don't know if this will help but you could try a program called RocketDock...

http://rocketdock.com/

Haven't tried it myself but saw it on a friend's system... Gather it's free.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kind of weird... i see the post as being answered but no one is credited with answering it. Am  i missing something? (BTW am new to the Adobe forums.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Been a while since I made a real post. I think it has to do with selecting a option to award points. If a poster chooses not to award but just showed answered. So the post will showed answered but no points were awarded. Something like that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey dec9 😃

@shunithD: YouTube is being extremely slow today, so I haven't had a chance to really watch any video's on that RocketDock yet, but it looks pretty sweet. I know a few other video's I've seen out there have something that sounds like RocketDock, docked at the center bottom of their window. Because the tut author is never nice enough to tell us about their app switcher instead of the app or tut their working on, I'm not exactly sure what it is. However, thank you for posting the RocketDock, I'm going to check it out because it sounds at least as close to what I'm looking for as possible

@khaziranga: Rick was very helpful, but he wasn't quite sure either... I chose "Helpful Answer" instead of "Correct Answer" because technically I am still wondering what those programs were that they were using. I've also marked shunithD's post as Helpful because by looking around the RocketDock website, it is similiar but not really it... doesn't mean I don't appreciate the link, and you really can't expect someone to pop up and say "yeah, that is XYZ program and you can find it here", so it's a little harder to assign a Correct Answer in a post like this. I don't want to give someone a Correct Answer who wasn't dead on the money, only for someone to come by later looking for the same thing and be misdirected, ya know?

Still, thanks for the posts guys, I really do appreciate it ^.^

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

chanceibmny wrote:

@khaziranga: Rick was very helpful, but he wasn't quite sure either... I chose "Helpful Answer" .....

No, it's not that... the question is marked as answered but the Correct answer option is still available. Just wondered who or why it was marked answered.

Anyway, in reply to your post #2, i tend to agree with Rick. That does look like a  Mac interface.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone who starts a question thread can mark it answered at any time, without necessarily crediting anyone. Moderators can also mark posts 'assumed answered'.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kath-H wrote:

Anyone who starts a question thread can mark it answered at any time, without necessarily crediting anyone. Moderators can also mark posts 'assumed answered'.

True...  but judging by the OP's responses and attribution of 'Helpful answers', it doesn't seem like the question has been answered. I think that's what Khaziranga was referring to. But i can only guess...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

khaziranga

Yeah, after I've done some looking around (just started looking at purchasing a mac by recommendation from a graphic designer friend) and noticed that that sideways smiley face thingy goes for Mac. I know that there are icons you can have (like on the RocketDock for example) that it doesn't matter if you have Mac to have the icons, but that program or alternative to alt+tab is probably on a mac. I've noticed that most of the guys doing tutorials for photoshop and other graphic programs use mac.

shunithD

RocketDock is great, I love it. Thank you so much for that link, never even knew something like this was available. While it wasn't exactly what I had originally asked with the picture example, it has already made my life easier today because of all the different programs and windows I have running. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

chanceibmny wrote:

khaziranga

Yeah, after I've done some looking around (just started looking at purchasing a mac by recommendation from a graphic designer friend) and noticed that that sideways smiley face thingy goes for Mac. I know that there are icons you can have (like on the RocketDock for example) that it doesn't matter if you have Mac to have the icons, but that program or alternative to alt+tab is probably on a mac. I've noticed that most of the guys doing tutorials for photoshop and other graphic programs use mac.

shunithD

RocketDock is great, I love it. Thank you so much for that link, never even knew something like this was available. While it wasn't exactly what I had originally asked with the picture example, it has already made my life easier today because of all the different programs and windows I have running. Thanks!

Everything Old is new again. The item shown in  chanceibmmy's screenshot is indeed a Mac Item but the reference to RapidDock is a windows thing. I went to the site.

Application switch is an item that is added to Main Menu bar that brings back a feature that was a part of Macintosh OS 9 and lower. you had a menu item, that when clicked opened a drop-down list with all the Applications that are open. You could go to another application, by simply going to the drop down list and you were switched  to that application.

Now we have the dock which is smilar to windows startup menu bar.

Partial shot of my Dock:

SeaMonkeypicture002.png

We have option of choose to open  like the above or simply click on dock item.

Or when application is open we can do as here:

SeaMonkeypicture003.png

(Please note information is given by an Experienced User of Acrobat. I am not an employee of Adobe.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cheese and rice!! Are there enough icons on that for you Phillip?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That wasn't all of them

See here:

This will be compressed

SeaMonkeypicture004.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have that installed. Are all those icons normal or by your choice? It would seem to be easy to get used to finding a icon once learned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Oct 04, 2009 Oct 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Some are installed in the "dock" as part of the installation either of the system or most applications. Some I added. The advantage is if I want to open an Application, I find its icon on the dock which also has name as well then just click once and it opens. If I no longer want the application I remove application from computer and drag its icon from the dock on to desktop and it disappears in a puff of smoke (not literally but appears to go up in smoke on screen). I could just as easily go to applications folder/ or utilities folder (Directory for PC Folk)  then the double click application or from finder menu choose open. But it's a lot less convenient and a lot slower.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

chanceibmny wrote:

shunithD

RocketDock is great, I love it. Thank you so much for that link, <snipped>

Welcome! Hope you enjoy it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 04, 2009 Oct 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A lot of these so-called UI enhancements cause serious problems with Photoshop.

Most are just eye-candy anyway and don't improve the workflow at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines