• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Attach Image Not Working - 11-17-09

LEGEND ,
Nov 17, 2009 Nov 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it looks like the maintenance last night broke the ability to attach a JPG image directly to a post. Sizes are well within both pixel dimensions and also file size. Tried with a .PNG of the same ones.

Note that they will still Attach from the lower-left of the editing screen, and can be opened, but the "camera" icon attachment is now broken.

Fix one thing, and break others,

Hunt

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Nov 28, 2009 Nov 28, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Netscape started using image/pjpeg in 1995 to indicate progressive JPEG. Microsoft expanded that and uses image/pjpeg everywhere whether the image is progressive or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Microsoft expanded that and uses image/pjpeg everywhere whether the image is progressive or not.

Ah, thank you for that clarification.

Sometimes the "Cliff Notes" version helps me!

Appreciated,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2009 Dec 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to upload jpegs, they sometimes get rejected with an error message saying the filetype image/pjpeg is not allowed. I have found that this is not related to the images being progressive jpegs (they are not), but rather to the images having copyright data encoded into them. Hence, I speculate the "p" prefix in pjpeg actually means Protected, as in protected by copyright. I've written a full explanation of the problem and how to fix it in this tutorial http://www.evolve.co.nz/how-to-fix-a-pjpeg-image-upload-error.html. Hope it helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you email one of the problem jpg files to userforum at adobe dot com?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Done!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trying to upload the files...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No error message or problem in uploading either file. Can you confirm that you get an error message when trying to upload the same file?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't tried to upload any images to this forum. I first encountered this problem trying to upload a jpeg saved for the web through Photoshop to a website using the Corlette lab gallery photo gallery plugin and e107 CMS, as explained in the tutorial at http://www.evolve.co.nz/how-to-fix-a-pjpeg-image-upload-error.html. One of the images I emailed you will upload (no-copyright-info.jpg) and the other (with-copyright-info.jpg) is rejected with the error message "Error: The filetype image/pjpeg is not allowed and has been deleted."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. You posted your comment to a thread about a specific problem with uploading images to this forum, so I assumed you were talking about the same issue. You might want to start a new thread about this in the Web Design Forum at http://forums.adobe.com/community/design_development/webdesign or in one of the Photoshop Forums at http://forums.adobe.com/community/photoshop.

This Forum Comments forum is pretty specific to issues that affect this forum.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will do, sorry about that!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would also caution people against removing their copyright information from their files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

marketing agency auckland wrote on 12/15/2009 10:18 PM:

When I try to upload jpegs, they sometimes get rejected with an error message saying the filetype image/pjpeg is not allowed.

You must be talking about some place that is not these forums. These

forums don't say which type was not allowed in the error message (we

only just filed an enhancement request for that). Your tutorial would

better be advertised in a place dedicated to the forum software you have

a problem with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jochem, the problem is common to a number of platforms/software including Cold Fusion, Joomla, e107, Chrome, IE, Corlette lab gallery, and who knows how many others. It is an issue of particular relevance to web designers and photographers (heavy users of Adobe products) and the fix I have come up with uses Photoshop. As such, I believe it is highly relevant to this forum. However, if you consider it off topic, I do apologise. Just trying to be of service.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 16, 2009 Dec 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very interesting observation.

In the situation that prompted me to initiate this post, all JPEG images were non-progressive and were created by me in Photoshop from screen-caps, showing the locations of various controls in Adobe programs.

For me, moving from IE 7 to Google Chrome got this capability back. I have not tried with IE 7, since Chrome was recommended to me.

Still, for others, that could well be an issue, and thanks for posting,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 16, 2009 Dec 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that your switch from IE to Chrome wasn't a factor. We added a couple of mime types that same day to fix the upload issue from IE. If you go back to IE I think it should still work now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 17, 2009 Dec 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
We added a couple of mime types that same day to fix the upload issue from IE.

John,

I appreciate that comment. Coincidental then. Well, I'm learning the differences with Chrome, so I will probably stay, but nice to know as well.

Thank you,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In GraphicConverter (a Graphics Program

for Mac) you can save jpegs as as Progressive.

Here are some items about Progressive and Progressive jpegs from heagen's Manual that comes with Graphic Converter.

I am attaching rather than using Camera Icon so that when the are posted and clicked on they will show full size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PjonesCET wrote on 11/28/2009 8:09 PM:

In GraphicConverter (a Graphics Program

for Mac) you can save jpegs as as Progressive.

This is not a discussion on graphics formats, but a discussion on MIME

types as they relate to the upload functionality of this forum, and

possible solutions (including not doing anything) for the upload

problems in IE. Please discuss graphics formats elsewhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jochem: It was only brought  by wine snob

I quote:

-------------

Jochem,

This is just for my education on the surround nature of the problem, but I saw references to P-JPEG (Progressive). Maybe I missed the necessary references to other JPEG-types. As I never use Progressive, what am I missing, in the application of the thoughts in the linked article?

Just curious, and trying to learn more about potential problem areas. Again, it's moot to the original intent of my post, as Chrome got me up and running as before. Still, I like to be educated, as that info might relate to another problem down the line.

Thanks,

Hunt

It was not a discussion pre se, it was only answer Hunt (wine-snob's) question about what Progressive JPEG is.

Thanks.

If he want a more detailed answer of what p-jpeg is he can email me. I figured if I quoted excerpts from the manual that comes with a Graphics Program would explain better than spread mis-information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phillip Jones wrote on 11/28/2009 8:44 PM:

>> As I never use Progressive, what am I missing, in the application of the thoughts in the linked article?

It was not a discussion pre se, it was only answer Hunt (wine-snob's) question about what Progressive JPEG is.

He did not ask what progresive JPEG was, he asked how the linked article

applied to him as he didn't use progressive JPEG. Which is because

Netscape choose image/pjpeg in 1995 and MS subsequently copied that for

all jpg's.

Now can we please return to the discussion of content types? And if you

want to contribute something useful, register a MS account and vote for

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/xpnetwork/thread/dec4c63e-8b14-4c75-87f3-746cd40ecb43

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phillip,

Mea culpa, mea culpa. I led you astray. My question was on the MIME Type, as it relates to IE and the loss of the camera icon for attaching.

I am sorry for not being more clear.

Thanks for your post. Your effort is appreciated.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel,

I haven't figured out how to stop IE from doing that, but I can only say that upload worked before the upgrade from 2.5.7.

Thanks for your reply. I also had zero problems with this in IE 7, until the upgrade to the Jive software.

In my case, all JPEG's are Baseline Optimized (in Photoshop), and are never Progressive. I only use that, if my client needs Progressive for their site. Each of my test images was created from a screen-cap of some operation/Panel in an Adobe product, to aid users in finding something, or applying an operation. They are created exclusively for attaching into a post in a thread, and are sized and Saved for that one purpose. Through the day immediately before the update, all worked fine. Black Monday hit, and they would no longer attach from the camera icon, but would with the Attach Files function at the lower-left of the editing screen.

As Google Chrome has gotten this functionality back, I am good to go. What caused the incompatibility between the recent Jive update and IE, up to at least version 7, is only for my edification now, as I can use another browser. That was not my intention, but sometimes, one must go with what works, regardless of their normal workflow.

Again, thank you for your thoughts, and those from Jochem also.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 25, 2009 Nov 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jochemd,

Thanks for this. I will not be able to get back to you, until later today, but will report.

Appreciated,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 26, 2009 Nov 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jochem,

Here is the full RegEdit rundown for JPEG. Note that I have expanded all screens, and linked to the hierarchy for demonstrative purposes only. Obviously, these attributes/settings would only be shown one at a time.

Hunt

PS - the camera still gave the error, as of 2:52 PM 11/26/09 AZT

[Edit] Sorry for the double post, but when I clicked on Attach File, the reply disappeared, and I assumed that I had lost it. I did another, but this time the Attach File worked, as it should, but this post did go through, sans any attachment.

Message was edited by: the_wine_snob - Added [Edit]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 26, 2009 Nov 26, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are the full details for JPEG in RegEdit. I have shown the attributes/settings for all sub-items. Obviously, these would not be visible at the same time.

Hope that this helps.

Hunt

PS - the camera icon still yields the same error, as of 2:54 PM, 11/26/09 AZT

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines