Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Blank posts on email replies

Apr 23, 2009 Apr 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Posted three times to the InDesign forum by email this morning and achieved three blank posts.

See: http://forums.adobe.com/message/1912606#1912606

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you see a reply here. Perhaps its just a problem in that particular forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. I'm replying by email, so hoping this will show up too.

k

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it turns out there is a problem in the Forum, go to main menu locate General > Forum Comments.

and report there. Then make sure you not subscribed to it. they have a runing fued going about the new forums style.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PjonesCET wrote:

If it turns out there is a problem in the Forum, go to main menu locate General > Forum Comments.

and report there. Then make sure you not subscribed to it. they have a runing fued going about the new forums style.

That's where this is being discussed you nincompoop!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm replying to all the posts in exactly the same way. I'll post this

again in an e-mail response and let's see what happens.

k

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's OK Ken, we got it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And that one said Let's see if you get this...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No it's not. I posted two messages. One in the browser and the other by email. The email message is blank.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forgive for mentioning this if you already know; But when using e-mail to respond to the forums one needs to put the reply at the very top before everything else. That bit me to the first couple of times bofore Zeno mentioned this to me. HTH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm replying to all the posts in exactly the same way. I'll post this again in an e-mail response and let's see what happens.

k

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

S.D.A. wrote on 2009-04-23 16:16 :

Forgive for mentioning this if you already know; But when using e-mail to respond to the forums one needs to put the reply at the very top before everything else.

No you don't, you just need to avoid certain strings that will be

filtered out. Avoid:

- lines with 5 consecutive underscores;

- lines with 5 consecutive hyphens;

- lines ending in "wrote:".

http://forums.adobe.com/message/1882604#1882604

Jochem

(Posted by email.)

--

Jochem van Dieten

http://jochem.vandieten.net/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For what it's worth my e-mail replies are on a blank canvas - I don't autoquote the message, so all I'm sending is the text of my reply. I am using Thunderbird, and replying simply by, well, replying. I am not changing the subject line. I have replied to somewhere between 6 and 10 posts received by e-mail today, and the majority have appeared on the forums with just the subject header, but not my text.

I am using a Yahoo freebie e-mail account dedicated to the InDesign forum. Emails are received through the Yahoo POP server and my replies go out through the O2 SMTP server which handles all my outgoing mail.

I have only been back on the forum since the new format for the past couple of days. Today is the first day I have encountered problems.

k

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you just need to avoid certain strings that will be

filtered out. Avoid:

... to which I would add angle brackets, square brackets and probably curly

brackets as well. Anything between them gets either eaten or metamorphosed

into something else. Would Jochem care to confirm?

Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aha! Lines starting with >  get converted to blockquote, and stuff between [ and ] gets made into a hyperlink, like my postscript:

characters_to_watch_for.PNG

Couldn't someone post this sort of thing somewhere so we can start posting via email with a bit more confidence? It's just a lottery at the moment whether it works at all, and if it does, whether what gets displayed bears any resemblance to what was submitted.

Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Apr 25, 2009 Apr 25, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ildhund wrote on 2009-04-23 17:48 :

>> you just need to avoid certain strings that will be

>> filtered out. Avoid:

>> - lines with 5 consecutive underscores;

>> - lines with 5 consecutive hyphens;

>> - lines ending in "wrote:".

... to which I would add angle brackets, square brackets and probably curly

brackets as well. Anything between them gets either eaten or metamorphosed

into something else. Would Jochem care to confirm?

Yes, they get interpreted as something. Not sure what exactly just yet.

Jochem

--

Jochem van Dieten

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jochemd wrote:

S.D.A. wrote on 2009-04-23 16:16 :

Forgive for mentioning this if you already know; But when using e-mail to respond to the forums one needs to put the reply at the very top before everything else.

No you don't, you just need to avoid certain strings that will be

filtered out. Avoid:

http://forums.adobe.com/message/1882604#1882604

Jochem

(Posted by email.)

--

Jochem van Dieten

Good grief man, who in the h*ll is going to remember that list ?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another reason I don't like slow Web forums. They seem to discourage people from scrolling down just a little bit or turning the page to see that the same question answered within just a few days or less (in relatively inactive forums like this one) or within minutes or hours in very active forums. I have yet to see one that searches as efficiently as dejanews.com searches NNTP newsgroups. Sure, the same thing happens in NNTP, but no where near as frequently.

Subj: quoted replies via email turn up blank

Date: Apr 20, 2009

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/422082?tstart=30

Not necessarily a dig against you, Ken. It seems to be one of the banes of Web forums. I saw the same symptoms in the old FuseTalk forums (former Macromedia products).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No dig taken Mark. I'm on your side, which is why I want to get this wretched problem sorted, or at least to know what, if anything, I'm doing wrong.

I've always watched my particular forum - InDesign - in my email client, at first OE and now Thunderbird. It would download threaded headers at regular intervals and I could skim all new posts and if need be read them in context with already read posts.

I've got the new forum structure almost at that level - posts are unfortunately no longer threaded because, I guess, the unique indicator in each subject line is preventing Thunderbird from grouping them. But sorting them alphabetically goes part way there. They lose their chronological order of course because of ultimately sorting on the alphanumeric tag at the end of the subject. But if the post's of interest it's not difficult to make sense of it.

The whole exercise is, however, nullified if I can't reply to a post confidently using the email reply. Having to go to the web browser - and possibly also sign in - each time is a waste of puff.

k

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines