• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

[bug locked] John: Restoration of FAQs in the forums?

Community Expert ,
Jun 13, 2009 Jun 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John,

I can no longer remember whether all FAQs were lost forever, but now their desirability has been mentioned (again) in the first post of this thread in the GoLive forum by the other John, who by the way is one of the victims of split ID:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/446834?tstart=0

He gave the short answer in this parallel thread: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/446825?tstart=0

Can they be restored, or rebuilt?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's really sad the amount of good threads lost... Thanks to you a lot were recovered in the Illy forum... but how many others bothered, or knew enough, in other forums...

Your Abyss project was a marvellous effort Jacob.

Cheers..

JJ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your kind words, Jay.

In connexion with the first nightmare, I archived all the Illustrator Windows FAQs; when the fair forums returned I deleted them, unfortunately.

As far as I remember, the plan was to keep them this time, so I did not archive them, unfortunately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I archived all the Illustrator Windows FAQs...

As I recall, there was but one FAQ collection for both Mac and Win back in the old forums. (Each forum had its own link, but they brought you to the same place.)

The loss of the FAQs is sad indeed. Although many of the topics were in need of updating (to cover newer versions), there were timeless contributions by Illustrator luminaries, such as Teri Pettit, Mordy Golding, and Len Hewitt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the case of the PageMaker forums is even more sad. As PageMaker is officially a dead program and the FAQs seem to have been lost for ever, there will be nobody interested in redoing John Davies excellent job with them. Which is a pity, because there are still a lot of PageMaker users around the world, especially in the poorest countries, who have no need and no chance of moving up to InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh Excreta!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jun 18, 2009 Jun 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way, restoring the FAQs would really piss off the point hounds, who are racking them up with boilerplate answers. I swear some are using keyboard macro programs for phrases like "delete preferences."

Were the FAQs to be reinstated, perhaps the point hounds would go away. I know, I know... just dreamin'...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have them on the PS forums but it's quite clear nobody reads them anyway!

Woof!   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...nobody reads them anyway!

Heh, heh...

Allow me to suggest a correction to that: The only people who post questions answered by the FAQs are those who didn't read the FAQs.

Is it possible that those who find their answers in the FAQs never start topics to ask those questions?

All of that is almost beside the point, though. As I tried to explain in post #3 above, there were some really great, classic contributions by real experts in Illustrator, GoLive, Pagemaker... OK... Pagemaker is a gonner, but fill in the blank with whatever product forum is now flying without an FAQ. These explanations not only answered immediate needs but helped boost our understanding of the application. Perhaps they should have been migrated to the knowledge base. I don't know, and I don't care. I'm just saddened by their loss.

Moreover, I don't think the lack of these FAQs can be blamed on the Jive forum software (cf. the Photoshop forums). This was clearly a decision made by someone... which leaves one wondering why.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible that those who find their answers in the FAQs never start topics to ask those questions?

so wait a second harron... are you implying that adobe trashed the FAQs in an effort to secretly drive up web traffic to their site?

gosh! that's positively EVIL!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Harron K. Appleman wrote:

By the way, restoring the FAQs would really piss off the point hounds, who are racking them up with boilerplate answers. I swear some are using keyboard macro programs for phrases like "delete preferences."

Were the FAQs to be reinstated, perhaps the point hounds would go away. I know, I know... just dreamin'...

I give up... just lost a post thanks to the ridiculous log in cycle... Adobe, you win!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brainwashing caused by years of reading the reset perfs response have manifested into a cult using it as a fix-it-all type auto-response. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup well it does help and should be the first thing many users do. I do know

where you're going though. Very similar to Mac users of old saying "did you

zap the pram ?". LOL

--

Please note: I read this Forums through e-mail. If you respond to me; please

quote, otherwise I have no idea whom your response is addressed to or the

context. This is all thanks to how this forum doesn't work properly, yet.

Regards,

S.D.A. (Stephen)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

zap the pram ?". LOL

--

Regards,

S.D.A. (Stephen)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

S.D.A. wrote:

zap the pram ?". LOL

--

Regards,

S.D.A. (Stephen)

Steve, you had promised to try to avoid posting repeating messages in here, but you are back at it... Closed threads because of a bug that affects you and no other frequent visitor of this forum annoy only your fellow users, not Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

zap the pram ?". LOL

--

Regards,

S.D.A. (Stephen)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

zap the pram ?". LOL

--

Regards,

S.D.A. (Stephen)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines