• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot send private messages to some participants

LEGEND ,
Oct 27, 2011 Oct 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As the title says, I found today that I cannot sent PMs to some participants. One of them is Jacob Bugge, another is dave milbut; their names are not recognized even when copying and pasting from their profiles. I have tried a couple of other participants who have been recognized without problems.

Anyoner knows how to do it?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have experienced the same a while ago, as mentioned here (post #32):

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3993163#3993163

By the way, in that connexion where I wanted to forward a PM with additions to an earlier PM reply, I tried in vain to find a way to include the sender in the Adress Book.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried clicking first on their avatar, then on the Send private message link in their Profile page?

If you do that you need not enter anything else into the To: field.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not very practical if all one wants to do is to forward an existing PM, but it seems to work for new messages. At least my recent test wasn't rejected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know it might be a bit of a pain in the butt, Claudio, but if you want to forward a PM to someone you can't otherwise address, you could just copy/paste the content you're trying to send into a new PM that you've set up using the Send private message link as I described above.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel Carboni wrote:

I know it might be a bit of a pain in the butt, Claudio, but if you want to forward a PM to someone you can't otherwise address, you could just copy/paste the content you're trying to send into a new PM that you've set up using the Send private message link as I described above.

-Noel

You don't seem to get the point. There is something wrong with this functionality, and I would like it to be corrected if this is possible. And normally I don't need to be told about such trivial workarounds, thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, gee - sorry.  Just trying to be helpful, and inasmuch as you had promised to forward me some info (which is no longer wanted) via PM and hadn't yet, I thought that perhaps you hadn't thought about this particular combination of actions.

In my opinion you're being way too serious and sensitive.  Please lighten up!  We're all here to enjoy ourselves.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And your name is also in the non-reachable list...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting.  I can see a pop-up with my name in it if I just type Noel in the To: field...

NoelPM.jpg

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...Though interestingly you're nowhere to be seen in the same list...

ClaudioPM.jpg

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More interesting : my own name appears in the list after typing "cla", but yours doesn't even after entering your full screen name...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio González wrote:

More interesting : my own name appears in the list after typing "cla", but yours doesn't even after entering your full screen name...

Great, so it appears we can easily send PMs to ourselves, but not to specific others to whom we'd really like to communicate.  Don't you just love it when they implement stuff that works like this?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel, I noticed a problem that is preventing me from sending a PM to some -but by no means to all- participants in these forums. I haven't been able to find a pattern in the "forbidden names" list, but I am trying to collaborate in my humble way in solving the problem, because I don't "just love" things that don't work as they should, and I don't believe that just complaining will help.

And I apologize for misspelling your name in my previous message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio González wrote:

I don't believe that just complaining will help.

I think it's self-evident that I'm doing more than complaining here.

But hey, complaining sometimes makes one feel better too. 

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio, I received a PM from both you and John; he is working on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, JC also wrote to me. And if you received my last test PM, it means that Neil's workaround does work for new messages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is another funny thing I noticed.

Here is an example of the list I get when I am writing someone's first name:

1.jpg

However, when I continue and start writing that person's second name, the list changes to something like this:

2.jpg

which is not what I would have expected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might have to do with how Jive handles spaces in user names. I don't remember of Jive natively does or doesn't support spaces. But we override that by bringing in names from Adobe IDs which do support spaces.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But John, Bill Hunt, Jochem van Dieten, Phillip Jones, George Johnson all have at least one space in their names, and they all appear in the lists when I type their names, even long before completing them... (just tested a few names from the lists of Top Participants).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just tried 18 names across a few forums.

I got 8 right, 2 of them are in my PM Address Book.

9 returned nothing usable, 2 of them are in my PM Address Book.

1 showed what seemed to be an outdated version with a middle name initial.

A less than convincing score.

And what Claudio just said.

As I mentioned in the other thread, after the latest forum change I have no clue how to get someone into the Adress Book and how to use the names there (having got them there before the forum change).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 28, 2011 Dec 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This problem has not been corrected yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines