Exit

CF forums bug?.

Advocate ,
Dec 08, 2009 Dec 08, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/535509?tstart=0

The thread title says that it is answered, but when I went there to check which answer is correct, I found nothing there (I mean no start symbols etc.). Is that a bug?.

Also each and every time when we visit a thread I can see the "views" count getting increased +1, and I hope it should show only one view per IP.

Any comments?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Valorous Hero , Dec 08, 2009 Dec 08, 2009

Unfortunatly we don't because the user did not select any particular post as "the answer".  They just selected the overall "question answered" option.

As Jochem said, this is how the system was designed.  The quality of that design can be debated, but it is what it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peop

le can click on the Answered button by accident -I did it mysel

f yesterday- but, as far as I know, there

is no way of correcting this. Also, I think that if one answers "yes" to the "Is this question answered?" question but awards no points to anyone, the answer considered as correct by the OP is not marked in any way. Only those awarded points do.

Extra linefeeds kindly provided by the software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Claudio,

I agree with your point too.. Still there are some flaws that we can point out with respect to this JIVE.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Daverms wrote on 12/8/2009 5:04 PM:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/535509?tstart=0

The thread title says that it is answered, but when I went there to check which answer is correct, I found nothing there (I mean no start symbols etc.). Is that a bug?.

Also each and every time when we visit a thread I can see the "views" count getting increased +1, and I hope it should show only one view per IP.

Both are functioning as designed. The sanity of said design is

debatable, but they are not bugs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jochem,

Thanks for a rapid reply.

Yeah, I agree with your point. But, if you can go to the link (which I pointed in my last post), there is nothing marked as answer and yet the title says that It is answered.

Howcome we know which one is the correct answer?.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunatly we don't because the user did not select any particular post as "the answer".  They just selected the overall "question answered" option.

As Jochem said, this is how the system was designed.  The quality of that design can be debated, but it is what it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ian,

Thanks for pointing out that.

Apart from the pointing system and the "More Like This" navigation section available at the right pane. I hope JIVE is not that much impressive (but it is far better than the older one). It hangs in IE and works ok with FF and Chrome.

And one other thing we really miss is, When we navigate to some cf threads (older ones) which are being returned by google, it only gets us to the "Adobe Forums" home page, and I just wonder where that original thread had gone!.

I still feel that the CF developers who are out there can build a simple, better and effective system than this if Adobe can give them opportunity to do so... 🙂

Thanks all for your assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And one other thing we really miss is, When we navigate to some cf threads (older ones) which are being returned by google, it only gets us to the "Adobe Forums" home page, and I just wonder where that original thread had gone!.

I am afraid they have gone for ever from the Adobe Forums... Deleted, trashed, whatever you want to call it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Daverms wrote on 12/8/2009 5:54 PM:

Apart from the pointing system and the "More Like This" navigation section available at the right pane.

If Ian, BKBK and Adam (who appear to be the people answering most

questions) agree I could remove the "More Like This" section from the

overview pages. PM me for any requests with regard to FAQ's, sticky

topics etc.

Threads from before April 6 2006 have not been migrated.

I still feel that the CF developers who are out there can build a simple, better and effective system than this if Adobe can give them opportunity to do so...

If you build something better in CF I am sure Adobe would use it. I

would estimate you have about 24 months to do so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jochem,

topics etc.

I never said you to remove those sections, rather I find them as useful when compared to the previous application. (I hope active participants like, Ian, BKBK, Adam C, Dan Bracuk and CFSearching ... etc will vote for this too).

Threads from before April 6 2006 have not been migrated.

Like I said, We really miss some older threads/answers, I just wonder why the migration happened partially.

If you build something better in CF I am sure Adobe would use it. I

would estimate you have about 24 months to do so.

Really?. Can you please make this as a public announcement?. If you can do so, I hope there are many CF people (including me) waiting to prove CF's ability, and I am sure they can deliver you well before your estimation (Considering CF 9's RAD abilities).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Daverms wrote on 12/8/2009 6:29 PM:

>> If you build something better in CF I am sure Adobe would use it. I

>> would estimate you have about 24 months to do so.

Really?. Can you please make this as a public announcement?

Why don't you make the announcement yourself? Isn't that what community

is all about?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jochemd wrote:

Daverms wrote on 12/8/2009 6:29 PM:

>> If you build something better in CF I am sure Adobe would use it. I

>> would estimate you have about 24 months to do so.

Really?. Can you please make this as a public announcement?

is all about?

Couldn't it be because he cannot speak for the mods, even less for Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio González wrote on 12/8/2009 7:54 PM:

>> jochemd wrote :

>> Daverms wrote on 12/8/2009 6:29 PM:

>>>> If you build something better in CF I am sure Adobe would use it. I

>>>> would estimate you have about 24 months to do so.

>>>

>>> Really?. Can you please make this as a public announcement?

>>

>> Why don't you make the announcement yourself? Isn't that what community

>> is all about?

Couldn't it be because he cannot speak for the mods, even less for Adobe?

If I were speaking for "the mods" or Adobe, I would have written "the

mods are sure" or "Adobe is sure".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is all about?

Jochem,

Its not about pointing fingers at each other..  Since you are the moderator here, you should the apt person who can make such announcements.

Being an Adobe CF lover, I just wanted to share my experience with forums, and I am not against JIVE (or) any third party tools that are being used here, if any of my posts had hurted you in any way, kindly apologize.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Daverms wrote on 12/8/2009 8:15 PM:

>> Why don't you make the announcement yourself? Isn't that what community

>> is all about?

Its not about pointing fingers at each other.. Since you are the moderator here, you should the apt person who can make such announcements.

What announcement do you want me to make? "Jochem van Dieten is sure

that etc."?

If you want to start a project to build forum software to replace this

Jive software, start it. Figure out which goals you want to achieve.

What sort of help you are looking for. How you want to attract that

help. How you want to organize the project. Etc. etc. etc. And then,

when you have figured all that out, write an announcement.

I will happily put it up for you, once there is an actual announcement

to make. I might even help with the actual development, if there is a

plan and a team. But the first step is not asking somebody else to put

up an announcement. That is not how open source works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What announcement do you want me to make? "Jochem van Dieten is sure

that etc."?

If you want to start a project to build forum software to replace this

Jive software, start it. Figure out which goals you want to achieve.

What sort of help you are looking for. How you want to attract that

help. How you want to organize the project. Etc. etc. etc. And then,

when you have figured all that out, write an announcement.

I will happily put it up for you, once there is an actual announcement

to make. I might even help with the actual development, if there is a

plan and a team. But the first step is not asking somebody else to put

up an announcement.

Before planning, and figuring out the goals, Reach out to the forum users, participants and take some surveys, then you will come to know what others fell about this JIVE, and what exactly needs to be done.

I think you and Adobe need to take the initiative, then only it will reach out to more people who in turn can contribute to such a project..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Daverms wrote on 12/8/2009 9:01 PM:

Before planning, and figuring out the goals, Reach out to the forum users, participants and take some surveys, then you will come to know what others fell about this JIVE, and what exactly needs to be done.

Show me one successful open source project that started that way.

That is not how open source projects works. How it works is that you

have a vision of what you want and you set out to build that. And when

you have something to show, something to give you credibility, you can

try to turn your one man project into a community project.

If you want an open source project, start it. No if, no but, no

somebody, no Adobe, just start it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Valorous Hero ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jochemd wrote:

topics etc.

Personally care very little.  I try and use the web interface as little as possible.  As I hope, most likely in vein, until NNTP is restored, I use the e-mail and RSS feeds to discover posts.  Interestingly I need to use both as neither seems to display all messages.  Then, I will access a thread directly from a link if I feel I can provide some help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Dec 11, 2009 Dec 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Daverms wrote:

Howcome we know which one is the correct answer?.

You don't.  The OP has just 'said' his question has been answered... you don't know which or whether any of the posts is the answer. Could be for several reasons, for instance:

1/ OP feels no one answer is correct but the sum total of replies has solved his problem

2/ OP might have found an answer elsewhere

3/ OP might not want to award points to the poster of the correct answer

4/ And so on... IOW, a host of other reasons where the only limit is your imagination

Another reason, this whole systems smells rather strongly...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Dec 14, 2009 Dec 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I understand your points...

The other thing I used to wonder is, If I am awarded with some points then its a bit hard for me to find which post I was actually awarded... (coz, I used to answer many posts in a day).

Unfortunately the "Your Stuff -> Discussions" shows only the posts that I have initiated?.

Is there a way to locate that post?.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Dec 14, 2009 Dec 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Daverms wrote:

Is there a way to locate that post?.

Not that i know of... short of going through all your posts...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 11, 2009 Dec 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many users will click on the "Answered" icon, but not reward any points to anyone, or to any answer. Too often, they will not bother to tell the subscribers which suggestion they even used. The former is of little use, as has been debated here, while the latter can definitely help others, who discover that thread later on. What was the correct answer? What worked for the OP? Those are very important aspects to help others in the future.

I urge and even directly ask OP's to tell us what worked and what did not. I thank them profusely, when they bother to do so, just so that maybe more will bother to follow up.

Heck, I give a lot of advice, and want to know what works and what does not, plus the exact details, so I can more likely help others, when they show up with the same, or very similar question. I hate to see threads, where it's been marked as answered, but there is no reply from the OP. Then, the next user with that same problem chimes-in months later with, "hey dude, what got you going, 'cause I've got the same exact problem?" That cuts into the usefulness of these fora. At that point, things start over, almost from scratch, except for "see reply #4. Maybe it'll help you too."

Just some thoughts,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines