• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CleanMyMac application affects Adobe software on uninstallation

Aug 08, 2013 Aug 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings,

That's Volodymyr from MacPaw, Company-developer of CleanMyMac (cleaning solution for Mac OS X) here.

Some time ago we've stuck with a case when our customers are compaining on the cases that uninstalling one of Adobe's products affects and corrupts other one.

From the recent cases was a case that uninstallation of Lightroom 5 corrupted Adobe CC.

It rather looks like there are common resources are used for both apps and removing those corrupts other apps.

Is there any one here who can help us with that issue so we'll add those resources to the ignore list and won't touch at all in order to prevent any types of corruption? I've just got a funny discussion with a chat support representative who told me next:

Sahana: Volodymyr, I do understand your concern, however, without the order number, we are not authorized to assist you further.

And while I've asked to call supervisor, it seems he've made same decision:

Sahana: I've checked with my supervisor and see that with out the order number of the subscription we are not authorized to assist you further.

Of course that dialog might sound funny, but without cooperation of tech guys from Adobe we won't be able to fix that issue in fixing what we both are interested.

Hope that someone here can help us so we can continue discussion.

Regards,

Volodymyr

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This forum is only to discuss how the forums operate, not products

If you go to the Forums Index http://forums.adobe.com/index.jspa

You will be able to select a forum for the Adobe product you use

I really have no idea who you would contact for a software removal product

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even though you are in the wrong forum, as the first reply informs you, I can't pass the opportunity without telling you that your utility, «CleanMyMac», causes untold grief to a lot of Mac users.

Such cleanup utilities are totally unnecessary, superfluous and counterproductive in the Mac World.

As an avid Mac user for three decades, I have the following advice:

My advice to all Mac users is to stay away from CleanMyMac !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have CleanMYMac installed and so far have had no issues with it.

I am no experience a a developer. But I would say you need to figure out Common files (Libraries, Plist, and file types) that are shared by Adobe Applications. I'm not sure you'll get needed support from the USER Groups there are very few if any Acrobat employees that even bother with the User Forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your utility should not be removing anything related to Adobe's applications.

Adobe applications come with an uninstaller that knows about cross app and version dependencies.

Trying to "clean up" behind applications that already know what they're doing is more likely to cause problems than help.

And yes, outsourced tech support doesn't always know what to do with requests/problems outside their normal experience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What cleanMyMac and others try to do. Is along the lines of PC's If you uninstall an Application a Pc wil remove every little file  even registry keys that has anything to do with That application.

On a Mac You move application to Tras and empty Trash and app aplication components are removed except you have files place in the system, in The Application Support, In Library Preferences, in Documents (in some case) both for User and Main system Librarries  all over the computer.  Ther are no uninstallers for Mac Programs, There are no registry keys. but could be thousnads of files wasting space related to the application. So That it what ClenMy Mac and other try to do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phillip Jones wrote:

…Ther are no uninstallers for Mac Programs…

PJ, that is plain BS.

Every Adobe application installs an uninstaller on the Mac these days, at least since CS4.

Other applications from different developers do too.

I'm totally convinced that CleanMyMac does more harm than good.  I have seen the results on other user's computers when they come to me for help.

As a matter of fact, even an Adobe uninstaller from an older version can damage the existing installation of a later version if you try to uninstall the older version after the new one is already installed.

Third party uninstallers are just a bad reality.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some do but they still leave stuff behind not relates to adobe programs So you end up with wasted hard Drive space because you can decide if its tied to another adobe Product.

A big an example of an application Package that doesn't have an uninstaller is Office Mac up until 2008 had an installer they removed it.

There are many other apps that don't have uninstallers as well

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 09, 2013 Aug 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PJ,

Honestly, you seem to have an endless capacity to outdo yourself everytime as the years go by…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Phillip Jones wrote:

…wasted hard Drive space because you can decide if its tied to another adobe Produc…

Evidently neither can CleanMyMac, as per above admission of the developer of the utility.

…and hard drive space costs less than $1 per GB these days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris Cox wrote:

Your utility should not be removing anything related to Adobe's applications.

Adobe applications come with an uninstaller that knows about cross app and version dependencies.

Trying to "clean up" behind applications that already know what they're doing is more likely to cause problems than help.

And yes, outsourced tech support doesn't always know what to do with requests/problems outside their normal experience.

Thank you for the added reassurance, guru Cox.  It's very nice to have it straight from a top Adobe engineer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris, thank you for your reply in this topic and for your input.

Yes, we do understand that "touching" of the apps that are know better what to do is not a good idea, so that's why there are no cleanups made for any of Adobe's products, Microsoft ones and some other ones.

But still, users are trying to uninstall applications using our app nad we have to make that in a best way for both user and developer of the app. We'll see if there will be a possibility to launch your uninstaller tool that is inculded with your apps so everyone win in this situation. Is there any chance we can discuss more details via e-mail?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines