LEGEND ,
Mar 03, 2013 Mar 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 03, 2013 Mar 03, 2013

Changed it.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is regularly seen that an OP thanks someone for an answer and then marks the (own) thanks post rather than the answer post, as in this case.

An unavoidable effect of the ability to mark own posts.

No doubt(s).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 04, 2013 Mar 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob,

We see similar, all too often.

Perhaps the most extreme case, in my memory, was an OP posing a question in Premiere Pro, only to get three answers in very rapid succession. Any could be Correct, and the other two were definitely Helpful. Then someone posted "You are just not smart enough to be using professional software, and need to get a beginner program." That one was marked Correct, and a similar one, was marked as Helpful, where the three good Replies were completely ignored. Extreme? Yes, but it happened.

I have also seen Correct answers Replied to with a "Thank you. That is just what I needed, and all is perfect with the world." Guess which got marked as Correct? Of course it was the OP's own "thank you."

It happens, though not THAT often.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too see a lot of the "correct" answers creditied to the OP.  They respond "thanks, that fixed the problem" and mark it correct.  Perhaps it is hope they will get the points, or just oblivious to where to check the posts for correct or helpful.

I think the big problem is that if the OP is reading the responses with e-mail there is no option to mark the "correct" or even "helpful" answer unless they log into the discussion page and open their thread.  And they do not wish to waste time with this seperate step.  And with more using e-mail option it is difficult to get acknowledgment for helpful responses.  I hate the e-mail option as they never get the edits to posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Curt,

They respond "thanks, that fixed the problem" and mark it correct.  Perhaps it is hope they will get the points, or just oblivious to where to check the posts for correct or helpful.

I opt for the latter.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Changed it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Changed it so that you it looks as if your answer is correct while in fact it can't be because changing a file name may not necessarily mean changing the file extension.  So the answer is still incorrect and you awarded yourself 10 points for an incrrect answer.  You are abusing your powers aren't you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No he didn't. Moderators don't gain any points for marking their own content as Correct or Helpful.

professional.pirate wrote:

...you awarded yourself 10 points for an incrrect answer.  You are abusing your powers aren't you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

professional.pirate wrote:

Changed it so that you it looks as if your answer is correct while in fact it can't be because changing a file name may not necessarily mean changing the file extension.  So the answer is still incorrect and you awarded yourself 10 points for an incrrect answer.  You are abusing your powers aren't you?

Pirate, did you read the thread? In message #2 the OP  says "I then rename it by removing the last 5 zeros and pdf from the name..." (my emphasis), And in message #4, he says that when changing the name of the files, he received a warning that changing the extension of the filename  could make it unusable. It's only after these messages that Past posted his question/suggestion, which is therefore the correct answer. And it solved the problem of the OP, as he says in message #7.

Also, Dave has already explained that mods do not receive any points when they mark as correct one of their own messages,

A rather unprofessional criticism from a professional...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 28, 2013 Jul 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pat Willener wrote:

Changed it.

Now this wasn't your work to do.  The correct answer should only be marked by the original poster not by some glorified MVPs here.  Correct answers to MVP is simply not important to the OP because MVP's answer's are invariably biased towards Adobe line of thoughts while what OP wants to hear is an independent answer or views about adobe products or whatever..

Another MVP has exceeded his powers here and in some forums the title should be taken away for 3 years and sent away for further training.  Sadly there is no official policy or means to complain about this particular MVP to be stripped off his coveted title with immediate effect so that he can be a normal human being lke the rest of us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 28, 2013 Jul 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe.Hacker wrote:

Pat Willener wrote:

Changed it.

Now this wasn't your work to do.

You are right; in fact an MVP cannot perform such actions.  Only forum moderators can do that, and I did it in my role as a forum moderator (which I have been before being decorated as an MVP).

'Correct Answer' should be helpful to other forum users who are looking for solutions for a similar problem they have.  If someone marks their own follow-up question as the 'Correct Answer', this will simply not help anyone.  Therefore Claudio's suggestion to remove that incorrect 'Correct Answer' was right.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 03, 2013 Nov 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I completely fail to see why the answer marked as Correct in this thread is The Correct Answer to the original question.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1327365?tstart=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unmarked it.  Some people really don't know what they are doing.  At least once a day I get abuse reports, where people click on 'Report' instead of 'Reply'.  But have I ever clicked on a wrong button; sure, we all have at times...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unmarked it.

And in doing so, you made Claudio look stupid in that thread because of

his comment #4 unless he too didn't know what he was doing!.

Good job!! Well done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 04, 2013 Nov 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mytaxsite.co.uk wrote:

Unmarked it.

And in doing so, you made Claudio look stupid in that thread because of

his comment #4 unless he too didn't know what he was doing!.

Good job!!  Well done.

No, Pat also removed my message #4. And yes, an excellent job.

I wish we had a way of knowing who marked an answer as Correct. As the line saying "one helpful answer by XXX"...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 01, 2014 Jan 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 03, 2014 Jan 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 03, 2014 Jan 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unmarked both of the above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No he didn't. Moderators don't gain any points for marking their own content as Correct or Helpful.

I believe few had a clue. It was new to me. But being just one of the natives contributing in forums that are luckily moderated less than once a year there has been little cause to ponder over such matters. As mentioned before, I often find that strange markings have an amusement value.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob, it was Dave who wrote that, not me...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marking a post as "Correct" has two positive effects

1. the topic is marked (green) as "resolved"
  2. the best answer is placed directly under the original question, so that other users with the same question may find the answer quickly

This functionality only works if the original post was marked as a question.

Getting the green mark on a topic is great; it indicates that we don't have to look at it again.  Except

1. the o/p marks the first answer that comes in as "Correct", even though no answer has been given
  2. the o/p acknowledges that the problem is fixed, but now has a new problem
  3. an additional user appends a post like "I have the same problem, but nothing has helped"
  4. and a number of other possibilities

What I want to say with this is that the system is far from ideal, unless we lock topics that have been confirmed resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 05, 2013 Mar 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pat,

As the forums function (on a good day), in many levels, the "Correct" marking can be very useful to people, who come upon the thread later on. They will see that the OP DID get an answer to their problem/question. That can be very comforting, and points them in a direction, with suggestions that MIGHT work in their case too. Same for "Helpful," in that they see other Replies, that might help them.

Some subscribers will stop following a thread, when the green mark appears, but many will keep reading, so long as they see "[Updated]." That is what prompts me to stay with a thread.

With many problems, the issue itself, and the solution, might well be specific to, say one's OS, one's hardware, one's specific Project (in Premiere), etc., and a very similar problem might not benefit from the solution that helped the OP. There could well be variables in the new poster's situation, that render what was Correct for the OP, moot, and useless.

There are also a few cases, where a problem was solved adequately, then sometime later, another poster comes up with an even better solution. The addition of those will benefit those, who find the thread with a Search.

I would oppose Locking threads, that have Correct marked, and even when all of the Helpful "awards" have been used up. There can still be very beneficial responses.

When an OP's question has been answered, or their problem solved, I try to gently urge them to use the markings, to help others (and also provide data to the Adobe Forum Team to show the effectiveness of the Forums).

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 05, 2013 Mar 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know, Claudio, sorry.

I normally answer to the OP, corresponding to how it was in the old days. In this case I forgot to tie the quote to Dave.

Like Bill, I believe the wrong markings are (almost) always owing to confusion. In a thread that was no question, I once ticked Helpful when I was just trying to answer a specific poster.

I regularly find that there is more to say in threads that everyone thinks has been answered. For that reason, and others, I should object strongly to the thought of locking (seemingly) answered threads.

As said many times before, I believe the (non) marking of threads by the OP is best left alone, except maybe in certain kinds of extreme cases.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob,

I was also my understanding that no MOD's would receive any "points," for correcting a "Correct Post," or even a "Helpful Post."

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines