Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Does the traffic seem down?

Apr 12, 2009 Apr 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since the switch over it seems that less people are coming to these forums or at least less questions are getting asked. Has anyone else noticed this too?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

maybe it's that Easter thingy that happens around this time of the year

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's probably the Easter holidays... but definitely, in the DW forum, there's much less input from a lot of the, shall i say, 'old hands?'. Murray and David are fairly active, a couple of others as well... but, a lot of the really great ones are silent... And even Murray's speed of response is definitely much slower and, i feel, not as thorough as before. (He may wish to contradict me... )

JJ

PS: Additionally, i feel there's some kind of censorship or restriction going on...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 24, 2009 Apr 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in the DW forum, there's much less input from a lot of the, shall i say, 'old hands?'. Murray and David are fairly active, a couple of others as well... but, a lot of the really great ones are silent

Most "old hands" in the DW forum were using NNTP, without that they just moved away. I am among them, I quit posting on that forum after 12 years.

I keep monitoring the Spry forum by email, since it's a low amount of traffic, but the moronic way Jive handles emails doesn't help.

Massimo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The forums are very quiet, Easter or not.

I think some are fed up with the format; some don't like the sluggish response of the UI, and some can't get in.

... and then there's the lack of nntp or whatever they call it.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect you are right on all accounts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

by Buko wrote:

Since the switch over it seems that less people are coming to these forums or at least less questions are getting asked. Has anyone else noticed this too?

MASSIVELY!

Yet, even with the drastically reduced traffic, I haven't been able to read nearly the number of posts I used to in the WebX forums in the same amount of time, let alone respond to them, due to the clumsiness and slowness of these new forums.   I used to read all new posts, now I leave considerably more than half of them unread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 13, 2009 Apr 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Congratulations on your 9000th Ramón!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

9,000 what?  Number of posts shown on the forum?  I have that blocked for all users, so I'd have to take your word for it.

Who knows what those numbers represent anyway!  During the aborted changeover a couple of years ago, it showed some 25,000 or some such insane number credit to my main account (Ramón G Castañeda) and another thousand or so under my variously mangled-name accounts (Ram?n G Casta?eda, Ramón G Castañeda, and Ram=?ISO-8859-1?B?8w==?=n G Casta=?ISO-8859-1?B?8Q==?=eda).

They should eliminate that onsensical running count as well as the silly point system.

EDIT:  I bet you, dave milbut and Buko, as well as others, have a lot more than I do.  

Message was edited by: Ramón G Castañeda

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i was showing something along the lines of 42000 last time...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm just saying ...

more.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my case : 142 posts since Nov 30, 2003I know that ain't so. I've probably posted that many since switching over  to this system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ramón G Castañeda wrote:

9,000 what?  Number of posts shown on the forum?  I have that blocked for all users, so I'd have to take your word for it.

Who knows what those numbers represent anyway!

I agree; the post count is nonsensical – it was the nice round number that caught my eye.

Plenty of other nonsensical bits of space consuming information too: the red progress bar; the points system; the superfluous links, ...

I'm waiting until the dust has settled before doing the cosmetics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 23, 2009 Apr 23, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Ramon, you mean this is blocked?

9,241 posts since
Jul 27, 2006

?

Heh, and yeah, traffic must be down just based on the number of people who find this junk to slow to even tolerate using. I no longer answer any questions at all.

To all who said "give them a chance" to fix the issues... well, what's up now? Predictably, no performance fixes at all. You can't fix something that is fundamentally broken because it was created with crap bloatware technology that barely runs on a supercomputer. Modern day workstations are supercomputers--and this one barely runs this garbage. Talk about crap software. [new bug found] Oh, and by the way, the stupid smiley things I just tried to add didn't display at all, all I got was a blank space or a tiny dot or something. Sweet!

Great job, Jive!

j/k

EPIC FAIL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Apr 24, 2009 Apr 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ansury wrote:

Hey Ramon, you mean this is blocked?

9,241 posts since
Jul 27, 2006

?

Yep, totally blocked in my browser.  This is all I see:

Adobe-Forums_mmsg_thread.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it is, then Adobe have attained their goal of getting a web forums software that will not overburden their servers.

Oh wait. You mean that wasn't the goal?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Personally, I thought traffic was down before the move. But then  I thought it might be the forums I visit. I think John probably has access to traffic data. However, i do not know if the traffic data includes nttp (for the old system) or if it would include data from rss under the new system.

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MikeKazlow wrote:

… I think John probably has access to traffic data.

Mike

It was a little better today, but with the slowness of these new forums I didn't actually do much reading and replying, compared to what I was able to accomplish in a comparable period of time in the old WebX forums.  I did make liberal use of the Mark All Read function, though, which would have never been the case for me in the WebX forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 14, 2009 Apr 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hardly go to the forum any more. Used to be daily. Read. Ocasionally reply or ask.

Not any more.

Complexities

Complications

Annoyances

Hick ups

Illogical stuff

Speed

and especially, no easy subscribing

and worse, not getting to last read post any more

I'll be a very occasional reader now

Used to be such a stunning forum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what joziG said... 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The thing I miss the most (from webx) is the automatic feature of collapsing a long message thread so I only saw what is new

I do find myself reading less, which of course means I don't post as much (I'm not a super-tech, but did sometimes have an answer to a question)

Since the back button is so slow, one thing I have found (works for me!) is that I right click anything I want to read, and then have it open in a new tab... closing the tab when I'm done

Doing that is a lot faster than just clicking a message link and then going back to the main panel

Next thing I have to do is go through my notes file and remove all of the old webx links

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree should be simple for the Jive people to set that up.

(Hmm that sounds funny the way that came out.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, my contribution to the traffic on other U2U forums is down because the user interface is a PITA to use.  Just trying to scroll through new contributions is very tedious.  This improvement is a Great Leap in the wrong direction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, we no longer have anyone coming here via NNTP, so that will cut out a lot of users.

And the fact that you can no longer get to the new postings in a thread in any meaningful way means a few more have stopped posting as much.

And when you get down to the bottom of a long thread there are no breadcrumbs, so you have to scroll all the way back to the top to go anywhere else.

And if you log on in the morning, then actually doing some work in your job, and you come back and find it has logged you out. So instead of posting more, many give up.

But gee, aren't the pretty colors nice?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know about you  but in SeaMonkey if you click at the very top of the vertical scroll bar. I bounce with one or two hops to the top.

If you use IE try it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines