• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Edit forum post still NOT fixed????????????

LEGEND ,
Oct 05, 2020 Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Meanwhile I see the 'edit' post problem still exists and has NOT been fixed after what is it a couple of weeks, maybe more. Can't somebody who is in charge of the forum get something done about it? What is it with the Adobe employees, they seem to be frightened of their own shadow.

You'd almost think that Adobe is being run by a small team of 2 people, both who sleep 23 hours per day, its poor, and unacceptable.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Oct 05, 2020 Oct 05, 2020

I'm sorry to say that this is not likely to change. Too many users were abusing the Edit function, so Adobe has turned the ability to edit posts off for everyone except for ACPs, MVPs, and Adobe employees.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Oct 13, 2020 Oct 13, 2020

IMPORTANT UPDATE
We've changed the backend configuration to now allow users that have a certain rank to edit their own posts.
This means new users won't be able to do so until they've participated in the community and reached a particular rank, which will hopefully solve the problem we were having with spammers and abusers. These users are usually brand new and have not posted any previous content.
We will monitor the situation closely to see how this change affects the community as a whole.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Oct 13, 2020 Oct 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"The Abuse exuse, is ridiculous." I do understand where it's coming from, though it's irritating. Spammers are irritating too. While there is a theoretical abuse - post a question, get a reply - edit the question to make the responder look stupid... there is a real and continuing abuse of all forums, chat pages, feedback pages etc. etc. which I see first hand. This is spam, everthing from business cards to brides, Dallas plumbers to Mumbai taxis. The fight is constant, and the spammers are motivated. So a common practice is to post an innocuous question  like "How do I upgrade photoshop", wait a while then edit it to be an advert for Covid cures. You may not care whether there is spam, even offensive stuff, but unchecked the volume of spam swamps the real messages, driving away people who might use the forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 31, 2020 Oct 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While there is a theoretical abuse - post a question, get a reply - edit the question to make the responder look stupid...

Most of the forums I'm on don't allow a post to be edited after people have posted replies.  Others set a short time limit after a post where the original can be edited.   That's usually the only time I edit mine anyway because after re-reading it as a post, I notice typo's or ambiguities I need to clarify.   None of this is rocket science.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And what level must I have achieved to be permitted to edit my posts?  It appears that I am still unable to edit them  - yet I have been a forum member for 14 years, an Adobe user for 28 years and am a working professional.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't disclose the name of the rank since our community team doesn't have a public list of ranks available.
You, however, should be able to. Can you log out and back in again? The change was just made so it can take a few minutes to take effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think rank is based on number of posts, likes and other in-forum things. Nobody human rates you for experience, or quality of replies. You have 1400 or so posts, which seems it should be enough, Jon-M. I have 50,000 or so, which came as a bit of a shock...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On another corner of the Internet, I've been part of a discussion message board for 20 years next month, which is just astonishing. I've yet to hit 7,000 posts, though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 16, 2020 Oct 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great to hear that many of us get back the ability to edit posts.  Now to work on deleting our own posts.

On top of that, even though I've been logging on to this forum from the same computer since 2015, I now get the "We'll email you a code to prove you are who you say you are."  The hits just keep on coming.

When someone fixes this, email me.  Until then, I'm done..  again.  The frustration just never ends.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even the ACPs and MVPs don't get to delete their posts, or anyone else's. I'm not certain, but I believe that Khorus is set up so that if a post is deleted, all the replies to it are also deleted. That isn't fair to the people who took time to answer.

I think there's a thread about the constant 2FA issue, but I forget what the recommendations were, sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's true that on the current Khoros platform, nobody except Adobe Staff can delete posts.  And even then only for good cause. But mods can move posts from public view (Holding).

On the previous JIVE platform, OPs could delete their own post if there were no replies.  But once a reply came in, the option to delete the post was disabled.  It was a good system for the scant few who used it, I guess.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think that's an acceptable answer.   Most community support forums have an "edit" feature to fix typos or add clarifications after a post is made.  And it would be trivially-easy to only enable this feature for users who have been members for awhile or who are Creative Cloud subscribers if spam is really a problem.   

(...and seriously, why would the "edit" feature be a bigger spam threat than the original post?   it's still only one post.)

I think Adobe owes its subscribers a better explanation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(this is an example of why we need an Edit button, because I thought of this after I hit "Post" but there's no way to go back and add it to my original comment ...)

...what's the point of displaying a non-functional "More" button if its features are disabled?   If there's nothing there then don't show the "More" option, or gray it out for non-qualified users.    I'm a professional member of two different usabiliy organizations -  ACM/SIGCHI and UXPA - and I offer my professional opinion that this is bad user-experience design!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"I'm a professional member of two different usabiliy organizations."

Good for you.  I wish more people took an active interest in usability.

New users here have limited access for a reason. As a forum moderator, I can't access everything staff members and admins can.  That's intentional and by definition NOT a "usability problem."  The public forums are still usable by everyone.

Currently you have 104 posts.  In time, your rank will improve as will your access. Be patient and keep participating in the product forums. You'll soon reach the point ranking where you CAN edit your own posts 🙂

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines