• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Email Notification stinks for Gmail

Engaged ,
Apr 09, 2009 Apr 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First off, I like the new forums! However...

The email notifications are wreaking havoc on my Gmail. There are two basic problems:

1. The subject line of every email subject starts with the extremely verbose "[Adobe Premiere Elements] New Message: Re: " and then lists the forum's topic. The end result is that the forum topic (the most important part) is always cut off. Seriously: shorten it to "[Adobe] Re:"!!!
  2. Every subject line includes some sort of unique message identifier - which makes Gmail thing every single email is a separate conversation. In the prior forums, Gmail would group all forum notification emails of "Stupid Forum Updates" into one conversation... meaning it would show up once in my inbox; clicking on the message would show me all the emails in a thread-like display. Now, that doesn't work.

Put these 2 things together and it makes email notification for Gmail almost useless. I now have 187 email notifications, but I can't tell what any of them are about because the subject line is all truncate-y. Arrgh!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Apr 09, 2009 Apr 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ed.Macke wrote:

First off, I like the new forums! However...

The email notifications are wreaking havoc on my Gmail. There are two basic problems:

1. The subject line of every email subject starts with the extremely verbose "[Adobe Premiere Elements] New Message: Re: " and then lists the forum's topic. The end result is that the forum topic (the most important part) is always cut off. Seriously: shorten it to "[Adobe] Re:"!!!
  2. Every subject line includes some sort of unique message identifier - which makes Gmail thing every single email is a separate conversation. In the prior forums, Gmail would group all forum notification emails of "Stupid Forum Updates" into one conversation... meaning it would show up once in my inbox; clicking on the message would show me all the emails in a thread-like display. Now, that doesn't work.

Put these 2 things together and it makes email notification for Gmail almost useless. I now have 187 email notifications, but I can't tell what any of them are about because the subject line is all truncate-y. Arrgh!

You've got a lot of company in those feelings. They have been working on it, I'm sure there are still changes to come.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 13, 2009 Apr 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

DorothyK@Adobe wrote:

You've got a lot of company in those feelings. They have been working on it, I'm sure there are still changes to come.

Thanks, Dorothy. When I originally posted, there didn't seem to be any other threading-related complaints for Gmail, now I see where more people are having issues... helps to know I'm not the only one where the notifications are proving less-than-helpful.

It seems recently they've removed the "New Message:" verbiage - that helps scan the subject lines. But it's the serial number that's preventing threading / grouping.

I know that having it there allows users to reply to posts via email (as opposed to having to go to the actual forum), but if it's a choice between that dubious capability and having messages grouped/threaded....!

One question I haven't seen asked or answered is whether any of this is customizable. I'd prefer to see [Forum Name] at the end of the message, but I can see why some people would want it at the beginning. This is 2009.... can't we have that be a configuration option???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another issue with Gmail: Emails about new PM's land in the Spam folder. I don't know what's the cause, but please try to fix this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here is what's causing the problem:

SeaMonkeypicture001.jpg

Notice the subject length is show is supposed to be a Maximum of absolutely no more than 60 characters, (this includes spaces)

So in addition to the Serial number stuff at the end, the additional stuff in the Brackets before the subjects is affecting notifications as well

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines