Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Enhanced Profile Options

Feb 16, 2009 Feb 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I wish if there will be an option to enhance profile options like:

--> adding fields for Hard- & Software i'm using. so any user can read it before heping instead of guessing and asking first what setup i might have.
may there'll be many user who will not fill out their profile to the full, but then it's their own fault whenever it come frickling around with questions - personally i do not care about that kinda sloppy guys.

--> ability to browse all my Topics and postings within my profile

--> of course adding an 30x30 avatar will surely do nice.

--> most important is the topic view. topics should be expanded all the time, no hidden posts or topics, each posting should be in its own frame followed by the next posting underneath with a slightly highlighted background for easier separation.

--> as it's been already said, better and easier text editing, and easier way to quote other postings withing the same window.

however, i can't wait for the new forum!! and please don't mess up ;)

thanks guys!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Out of the starting gate, we will be using the forum profile. But there are plans to replace that with an overall Adobe systems profile where you would have a list of at least the software you are using.

You should be able to find all of your content from your profile page.

Not sure of the avatar size yet.

Topics will show all (something that is taking me a while to get used to, I like just seeing the new content).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

- Topics will show all (something that is taking me a while to get used to, I like just seeing the new content).

ok, i agree with you somhow. but maybe this could be ported to a user defined setting in the profiles how a thread will be shown up.

however, thanks for reply and good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are topics threads? Does it mean that all posts are shown by default?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think we're mixing different things. Let's take the current site as we are viewing now. We are looking at a topic/thread/discussion called "Enhanced Profile Options."

We are looking at it in a linear/flat mode. All replies/answers/messages appear one after the other in the order they were posted.

There is a (user set) option in the new system to view in a threaded mode. In that case, you can either reply to the top message that started the discussion or you can reply to an individual message/reply in the discussion.

If you view in Linear mode it looks just like things do here now. If you select to view in Threaded mode it looks somewhat similar, but with replies to replies indented.

Neither of these has anything to do with how many posts in a discussion appear on the page. Or what old/new messages appear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Being able to go straight to the most recent new content in each discussion is crucial. In my view, this is the single most important feature in forum software.

I doubt whether anyone would have a problem with the whole discussion being displayed so long as you "land" at the point where new content begins. Being able to simply scroll up from that point of landing to previously-read content would actually be better in my view than what we have now.

However, if what you said here -

> Topics will show all (something that is taking me a while to get used to, I like just seeing the new content).

implies that you go to the top of the topic and you have to find where the new stuff starts yourself, I'd be somewhat concerned.

Assuming that you do get taken automatically to the new content, then there's the matter of whether the new content remains treated as new until you've actually displayed it.

In some forums, new content flags persist until you at least display the particular discussion, which is (IMHO) the correct way to do things.

In some forums, new content flags kind of time out after you visit the forum, regardless of whether you've read the individual discussions or not. So if you don't have time on a particular visit to see all new content, you're unable on a later visit to identify what you missed on the previous visit. And that's not good.

Perhaps some detail on these aspects would be reassuring. Or not!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> In my view, this is the single most important feature in forum software.

agree. that's key.

>implies that you go to the top of the topic and you have to find where the new stuff starts yourself, I'd be somewhat concerned.

ya know, i'm pretty sure that's how the java forum is. threads usually don't get too long there though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the or not's have it, Oz.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I must concur. Nothing worse than navigating a 300-post thread from the start every time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The worst tho, is that the topic list has page numbers... so you can guess at which page to go to. Default is 15 per, if I remember.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ya. yuk. :(

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still looking for an approximation of the message center.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 17, 2009 Feb 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lack of red flags to show new content and also not being taken immediately to the last two posts since one's last visit would be a game-stopper as far as I am concerned.

The way that the Adobe Forums currently work is exemplary and no other arrangement should even be contemplated.

If the software being considered for the new Forums is unable to support this basic requirement, (and I suspect that every one of us does REQUIRE it?), it should be abandoned right now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Feb 17, 2009 Feb 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use a few other different types of forums that have the equivalent of red flags, and going to a thread takes you to the last post you read - it's not such a complicated, difficult feature to implement, surely?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Feb 18, 2009 Feb 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
>Lack of red flags to show new content and also not being taken immediately to the last two posts since one's last visit would be a game-stopper as far as I am concerned.

Ditto.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines