• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Explanations are a must.

Advocate ,
Jun 12, 2009 Jun 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are there no explanations given when posts are deleted?

I had a non offensive post that was reported and deleted with no explanation as to why. I have been told by another poster that it may have been a bug within the forum regarding the last posting times, etc. It would be nice to know if this were the case or if someone had their panties in a wad.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. Users should not have to start guessing why a given thread has been closed. Although in some cases the causes may be obvious, there are many in which they are far from obvious.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any chance yours might have been the 51st message in the thread? Or 101, 151, 201, etc? If so, it may take (up to six?) more replies to that thread for the next page of replies to be available. I have only seen it once, but have heard of this happening before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mark A. Boyd wrote:

Any chance yours might have been the 51st message in the thread? Or 101, 151, 201, etc? If so, it may take (up to six?) more replies to that thread for the next page of replies to be available. I have only seen it once, but have heard of this happening before.

It would seem that the page changes happen with messages #100 and 200, not 101 and 201. I couldn't check others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, but note that those are reply numbers. ie: reply #50 is the 51st message. The OP doesn't get a number assigned - unless you count 0 as a number 🙂

I suppose I should have clarified that in my post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

NOPE:

This the the thread:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/445796?tstart=0

My post was in response to Jehzeel (which happens to be this person's 1st post). All I said was "Is this a joke?"

Seriously the person didn't have PS, how in the world can they install it (sure they could download the trial but that's not what this person said). And of course this person is awarded mythical points for a "helpful" answer...too bad the moderators can't delete the ignorate points when awarded to stupid answers.

I seriously think that whomever deleted that post has some issues. It's not a big deal, but it's the fact that a certain long time poster can go back and forth with many people on here and his posts seemingly never get deleted, yet my totally harmless post is deleted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

reported...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yep, got it. That post was most likely reported as abusive and a host rejected it (the post) which hides it from normal users

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but why would a host reject that? and if they did, the point of ozzwoman's post HERE is that that should not take place without some kind of explaination.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And while we're at it, why was this deleted?

roflol.gif

We've been using it for years in the forums!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it wasn't deleted, it was hidden (not that it makes much difference from your point of view:P) As for why? i don't know, taking a stab in the dark, i'd say the OP wasn't very happy with that post and fired off an angry abuse report (wouldn't be the first time)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ozzwoman9 wrote:

I seriously think that whomever deleted that post has some issues. It's not a big deal, but it's the fact that a certain long time poster can go back and forth with many people on here and his posts seemingly never get deleted, yet my totally harmless post is deleted.

I do hope the hosts there are not attempting to create an entirely flame-free (not that your comment could be considered a flame) or extremist PC forum. That is just not realistic in online (or RL) communication. I can understand some moderation of real abuse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me either.

As I said there was mention of a post# bug and I just wanted to very if that was indeed the fact as to why the post was deleted.

Otherwise if I did something wrong I would like to know. I seriously doubt I did since there are other much worse posts than mine floating around here still open.

Even if it was reported then shouldn't a moderator read it and realize that it was harmless, or do all reported posts have to get deleted (?)

Seriously though, the post I replied to was one of those "here's your sign" things...in all actuality it should have been deleted, but oh no...it was awared points!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no, they don't get all deleted, i too thought of replying to Jehzeel but it was getting late so i ignored it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ozzwoman9 wrote:

Even if it was reported then shouldn't a moderator read it and realize that it was harmless, or do all reported posts have to get deleted (?)

Somebody reported me in here for using the word, bucket with a displayable method back when bucket was a swear word. I got some sort of notification that it was reviewed and OK'd by a moderator (don't recall the exact message). The post was still online and not hidden or deleted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Zeno said; when Hosts get an Abuse report they either reject it (which deletes / hides the reported post) or approve it (which leaves the post as is and this automatically emails the poster that someone reported their post but that a Host approved it as OK.)

Speaking only for myself; I approve more abuse reports than I reject.  Often; users are more critical of posts than Hosts are. (generally speaking)

Because of a few trigger happy reports we might be tempted to conclude that the Report Abuse  isnt useful.   But I find it Very helpful.  Even though we will get the ocaasional oversensative report, it helps Host find real abuse much faster (spam, blantant abuse).   Its very hard for a handful of hosts to read every post in every forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, that's what he meant by rejected. Seems to be reverse logic to me, but I haven't seen that interface.

In the forums I still read, I think that Report Abuse, overall, is turning out to be useful. I have used it to ask a host to remove personal data when the OP can no longer do so (somebody replied) if they have indicated that they want it removed. I have seen some language edited or deleted by hosts (not sure if that was due to a report), but they have always indicated that they've done so.

I agree that explanations are a must if any manual editing is done to people's words.

[OT]

An explanation by Jive for automatically editing would be good. Better would be to get Jive to STOP editing my posts - emails especially.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Curt Wrigley wrote:

(which leaves the post as is and this automatically emails the poster that someone reported their post but that a Host approved it as OK.)

Happened to me... said the post was ok but it was still deleted....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ozzwoman9 wrote:

…posts seemingly never get deleted, yet my totally harmless post is deleted.

You'll find that it all depends on whether the person with admin powers considers himself to be a host, a traffic cop or a forum bouncer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You forgot panties being in a wad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This jived up forum is so lame

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines