• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FF add-on for saving postings if unexpected logout

Advisor ,
May 04, 2009 May 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In another thread discussing the agonies of being unexpectedly logged out in the middle of making a (usually long)  forum posting, I mentioned a Wish List item of some sort of a script that would preserve form content (i.e. postings here) as we're entering it, so that if/when we get logged out before doing "submit", our breathless prose isn't lost forever. Dave suggested there might be something like that using a GreaseMonkey script.

Lo and behold, there is a Firefox add-on called Lazarus that does exactly this.

http://lazarus.interclue.com/index.html

Normally I'd try this out before suggesting it, but two things make testing a bit difficult:

1) the logouts don't happen often enough (to me, at least) to be able to test it very much, and

2) it turns out Lazarus is by the makers of Interclue, another FF addon that I already use

So, if there's anybody out there who would like to test this, please report back whether it works for you, and I'll do the same.

And, last but not least, I recently had the sudden logout while posting happen in a completely different website forum, one that was using vBulletin. So maybe this problem is more widespread than just being a Jive issue.

Sheila

** Interclue  http://interclue.com/   is a "link previewer" which when you hover over a URL will popup a thumbnail image of the link's content. Makes for much faster surfing. In addition, you can highlight some of the text in the preview and click one button to have the text and the URL sent to your e-mail program, all ready to send. Saves a kazillion clicks.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use the Firefox with no add ons, just what is in download.  I have gotten logged off twice in the middle of responding.  In both cases a window poped up that asked something to effect - there is previous content for this message, do you wish to use it?

By clicking on it my previous typying was restored.  A lot better than starting over.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's interesting, curt -- what do you have your FF setting in Tools > options > Content, for "Block popup windows" ? I have mine blocked, so maybe that's clobbering any possible restore dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have a check mark on block pop-up windows.  Other items in this window also checked.

Running v 3.0.10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that shouldn't interfere with it as it doesn't bring up any window, but the thing with that feature is that it's very flaky, it doesn't always save your work

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have SeaMonkey, and I to  see that message as well if for some reason I accidentlly close the window I am replying in.

And so far it works everytime that I have used it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have SeaMonkey

You don't' say

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kath-H wrote:

I have SeaMonkey

You don't' say

Look the way I was using that intro was to identify the product. I could have just as easily said I have Safari, or Omniweb, or Opera, or iCab. I was jst identifying the product I used.

This was not intended as braging.

There may be others besides me that use SeaMonkey. I was just pointing out the same thing works in SeaMonkey , That's all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Philip, could you clarify when you say "for some reason I accidentally close the window I am replying in".

Are you also meaning the situation where the forum software has logged you out "silently" in the background -- i.e. no notification that it has done so -- so you, unaware of this, still keep typing your message into the form and when you it "post" or "submit" or whatever, then the forum s/w comes back and says you're logged out and loses your carefully crafted prose.

Or are you just meaning exactly what you wrote, which is when you, yourself, accidentally close the window.

I haven't looked at SeaMonkey yet, but I will add it to my "List Of Things To Check Out SOOON" -- thank you for mentioning it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure I have on occassion after typing a response enstead of scrolling down and clicking on post message I have scrolled mouse up and click on the red dot

SeaMonkeypicture002.jpg

by accident, this closes the window altogether. then if I click on link back to topic and click reply the message comes up.

Also if I am typing a response and I am logged off in the middle of typing. and go back It wil have the noitce in yellow about it I can choose to use it or not. So far I have never had it to fail.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Funnily enough I just had the "confirm" popup dialog that curt mentioned about unsaved messages -- I had started typing a reply and then decided against posting, so I clicked on the forum name at the top of the page and up popped the confirm dialog.

As far as I know that confirm popup is only when I'm still logged in, though --  it doesn't work like that if I've been logged out "in the background", unfortunately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But I don't have a red dot. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

don't have a red dot because you don't have SeaMonkey, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On a Mac they use the Dots  for close window(red),  change window size between last positition and previously set position(green) , and to shrink to  the Dock the open window (yellow). clicking on yellow again expands it to desktop.

There is a similar thing on Windows.

And yes it can be done. If your so engrossed in what your doing, your not paying attention to what your doing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PjonesCET wrote:

Sure I have on occassion after typing a response enstead of scrolling down and clicking on post message I have scrolled mouse up and click on the red dot by accident

What I can't figure is how anyone could do something like that by accident. Once, maybe, if you're brand new to computing, or the house is burning down. But then it wouldn't be worth mentioning as something that happens 'on occassion.'

Don't bother responding to this, Phillip. It's just me, shaking my head in text format. It won't help matters for you to try to explain.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Phos

Did you ever get the feeling you were micturating in an upwind direction?

Just askin'. 

roflol.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But I don't have a red dot.

What do you want, jam on it? You've got two red blobs so stop whining

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

don't have a red dot because you don't have SeaMonkey, right?

No, because he's using Windows. Standard 'close window' button on Macs is red.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kath-H wrote:

No, because he's using Windows. Standard 'close window' button on Macs is red.

Wow! What will they think of next? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whatever it is it will show up in about 5 years on Vista 13

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kath-H wrote:

Standard 'close window' button on Macs is red.

Not if you're using the Graphite theme, also a standard in OS X:

AAAAAAA_Graphite.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ramón G Castañeda wrote:

Kath-H wrote:

Standard 'close window' button on Macs is red.

Not if you're using the Graphite theme, also a standard in OS X:

AAAAAAA_Graphite.jpg

That's true. But it can be easy enough as it is to hit the wrong thing, so I don't use the Graphite Format.

Also  another difference These items are on the left side, on a Mac.  The equivelent on a PC is own the right side. Atleast it show that way on some utilities I have that also work on PC's

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PjonesCET wrote:

But it can be easy enough as it is to hit the wrong thing,

I can see accidentally clicking on the close button if you are going for the minimize button but, accidentally clicking it instead of the large "post" button at the bottom of your browser?

For real?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Who needs add-ons?"

Now THAT says it all!

From my view, there is absolutely NO REASON to have to put add-ons, blocking scripts etc in order to simply read and post on this or any other forum!!

It's ludicrous!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

greenjumpyone wrote:

From my view, there is absolutely NO REASON to have to put add-ons, blocking scripts etc in order to simply read and post on this or any other forum!!

There should be no reason, Hopper, agreed   But under the present circumstances, the reality is that scripts and hacks make this experiencing a tad more bearable.

Waiting around hoping for Adobe to fix it is just nor productive.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines