• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

forum software

Engaged ,
May 12, 2011 May 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's get some forum software which allows you to quote somebody.  You know - like every civilized bulletin board on the internet.

You need to be able to quote somebody in order to give comments the obvious context and background they have - this is important for internet communication.  And internet communication is a big part of the value of this software.  So, let's get it working.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 13, 2011 May 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

therealdobro wrote:

Let's get some forum software which allows you to quote somebody.  You know - like every civilized bulletin board on the internet.

You mean like this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you reply, look at the command list just above where you start typing

You want to click the command icon that looks like a "thought balloon" with a quote mark on the right side

Also... just put your mouse pointer on one of the command icons for a few seconds and there will be a tool-tip popup

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John T Smith wrote:

You want to click the command icon that looks like a "thought balloon" with a quote mark on the right side

Also... just put your mouse pointer on one of the command icons for a few seconds and there will be a tool-tip popup

Yes, thanks - that enables me to quote your message, but in my browser, I can't choose which elements of that message I want to quote - I have to quote the whole thing.  Also, sometimes it's useful to be able to break a quote up into different parts so that you can respond to each part separately.  This particular forum software is clunky.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can always delete the parts you don't want to quote. And you can always use the quote tool as many times as you want, deleting different parts of the message each time... Like this:

therealdobro wrote:

function(){return A.apply(null,[this].concat($A(arguments)))}

John T Smith wrote:

Yes, thanks - that enables me to quote your message...

therealdobro wrote:

Also, sometimes it's useful to be able to break a quote up into different parts so that you can respond to each part separately.  This particular forum software is clunky.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or, you can limit the text to quote, when highlighting the text in the message from the Reply To box, below your editing screen.

deleting different parts of the message each time... Like this:

Just as I did with Claudio's message.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or, you can limit the text to quote, when highlighting the text in the message from the Reply To box, below your editing screen.

... Like this:

Okay, getting the hang of it.  Thanks, you guys.

Perhaps you've covered this already, but how do I avoid that 'function' rubbish that gets added to the top of the quoted portion?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

therealdobro wrote:

Perhaps you've covered this already, but how do I avoid that 'function' rubbish that gets added to the top of the quoted portion?

If you're using Internet Explorer, set it for Compatibility View.  The easiest way (e.g., with IE9) is to click the little "broken page" icon at the right end of the address bar.  It will remember that you have done this for this site and...   No more gibberish at the top of quoted posts.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Noel Carboni wrote:

therealdobro wrote:

If you're using Internet Explorer, set it for Compatibility View.  The easiest way (e.g., with IE9) is to click the little "broken page" icon at the right end of the address bar.  It will remember that you have done this for this site and...   No more gibberish at the top of quoted posts.

-Noel

Test.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A successful test, as it turns out.  Thanks, Noel.  Thanks, all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 14, 2011 May 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The quoting only gets problematic if you want to merge multiple post parts together, and answer all in one post.

When you have to copy quotes, although they look right in the editor, once it is posted it looks like this:

therealdobro wrote:

A successful test, as it turns out.  Thanks, Noel.  Thanks, all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 14, 2011 May 14, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pwillener wrote:

When you have to copy quotes, although they look right in the editor...

Well, to be fair if it does come out looking wrong, many times you can edit it and make it come out looking okay.

Just hit the quote button and paste things in that you want people to see...  Sometimes you have to click a lot to be able to edit the contents of a quote, though.

Noel Carboni wrote:

No more gibberish at the top of quoted posts.

I'll agree that the editor is quirky here to say the least.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 15, 2011 May 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Block Quotes gibberish seems to be browser-centric. I have never had it, but many others have. With my browser, Chrome, the Block Quotes are clean, whether I am doing the Copy/Paste/Quote, or am doing the quote for the enitre post, to which I am replying.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 15, 2011 May 15, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The "Function" rubish, as therealdobro called it, seems to be Explorer specific...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

therealdobro wrote:

Let's get some forum software.

That's a great idea!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 22, 2011 May 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

my gawd these forums are slow. wow. really really dog slow compared to the rest of the 2011 internet.  just sayin. you know?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Old news. Ee've only known th

at 2-3 years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dave milbut wrote:

my gawd these forums are slow. wow. really really dog slow compared to the rest of the 2011 internet.  just sayin. you know?

Interesting...  I really haven't sensed what I would call slowness in the forums since having upgraded to a more powerful workstation AND switching to IE9 a few months ago - save for maybe two or three times very briefly.  By and large, stuff has been popping right up.  I do see a failure of the edit window to open occasionally (requiring a refresh), but the forum just doesn't seem slow - not like before.

I wonder whether some of the perceived slowness is inefficiency in the scripts that are running locally vs. service from the servers.  It could be that less than an absolute state-of-the-art computer/browser combination just isn't running them quickly enough to be pleasing.

I can't complain.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

dave miibut wrote:

Well, guess what? It's a little-known and hidden fact, but it was disclosed yesterday that the forum software would be upgraded "soon."

So take heart!

Happy day,!

Calloo!

Callay!

We chortle in our joy!

🙂

Thanks, John! Sorry for out-ing you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 23, 2011 May 23, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, I didn't post that. Looks like Todd posted it from the Admin account. But it is true. I don't have a launch date available yet, but it should be sometime in summer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's really good news! I hope that many of the bugs are gone with the change...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL, "Definition of an upgrade: Take out old bugs and put new ones in!"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope they upgrade from Jive-Clearspace to something tha

t

works

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope that with the forum software upgrade some of the "temporary" limitations, such as attachments, will become available again.  Each time I want to publish a non-image file (e.g. http://forums.adobe.com/message/3434922#3434922) I have to put it on my own server.  Users have to download it at their own risk!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ooh! i hope they're upgrading to webcrossing's software!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines