• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Happy Turkey Day over there

Community Expert ,
Nov 22, 2012 Nov 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone over there, with hopes of a nice and peaceful evening.

It is past midnight over here.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 22, 2012 Nov 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks... just now 8:40PM and the last guest is gone and the dishwasher is running... I'm off to bed as soon as I finish checking the forums

There is even the promise/possibility of peace in the middle East

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 23, 2012 Nov 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greatly appreciated!

In the all-too-common US tradition, surrounding Thanksgiving (the dinner), we both over-ate, though it did not seem so, while doing it. We paid the price by being too stuffed to get to sleep, until very early Friday AM. No one to blame, but ourselves, and the food was great, the wine very nice, and an evening with friends was wonderful - so a small price to pay, and we all had much to be thankful for.

Thank you,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Almost 12 hours later (now 8:30AM) and back again with a cup of coffee

Wife is following my instructions on how to get yesterday's pictures from her camera to computer... the Kodak Easy Share software she used on WinXP won't install on Win8, so I wrote up a File Manager procedure... once she's done it a few times, she won't have to ask questions... she is over at the other computer "exclaiming" over the new features in Photoshop Elements 11 (compare to PE 7 on WinXP) so it seems she is still happy with her new computer

I already finished building her new computer, or I would go for the many deals at Newegg or Amazon... If (more likely when) I decide to build a new computer for me, I have not seen any special deals on i7 3930  or motherboard... but that is still WAY in the future anyway... might even be in the next generation i8 or i9 processor by the time I decide I want to build a new computer for me

Staying at home today, and out for cheese & wine tasting tomorrow afternoon... biggest thing today is to take the meat off the turkey remains and make soup... we'll have turkey leftovers in one form or another for a few days, then put the rest in the freezer for quick meals

Everyone enjoy the day!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob, I think this is the one special US day that we haven't imported. Could it be because, as seen from here, it has no or negligible commercial side-effects? Right now, supermakets are full of Christmas trees covered with artificial snow even though Christmas day is in summer over here; and people are spending money they don't have buying presents for everyone...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Claudio,

Even in the US, as a "commercial holiday," it falls rather far down the list.

As for the introduction of Christmas "stuff," Thanksgiving once signaled the retailers, and municipalities, putting up the Christmas decoration. Now, those decorations seem to go up about Labor Day (early September here), and Thanksgiving (other than the meal, and often family gathering) only signals a mad Christmas shopping program. In the 1980's, the US media deemed it "Black Friday," and continue to pound it into the ground, though obviously retailers HAVE benefited from it. From about Tuesday (in the US), the news stations filled many hours taping crowds camping out, to get in the doors, when the open on Black Friday (now stretching well into the Thursday of Thanksgiving), so if there is any news, whether local, national or international, the US viewer will likely not see it, since there is now 24/7 coverage of the shoppers - sort of like a "reality program... "

Luckily, in some parts, Thanksgiving is still a nice family gathering, with many actually being "thankful" for something. It is also a day, at least for some of us (like myself), for over-indulging in rich food. However, I paid the price for my gluttony.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines