• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I get Adobe to respect my privacy?

Enthusiast ,
May 28, 2013 May 28, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know for a fact I have repatedly told Adobe to stop harassing me with promos, news, sales, etc.  Adobe engages in the practice of assuming that communication with them and/or the download of their trial software constitutes re-acceptance to being added to more solicitation emails.

I have constantly updated my communication preferences to tell Adobe to stop bothering me, and given them the luxury of 3 weeks time (over and over) to have them desist from sending more spam, but still, they continue to send it.  So what's the step needed to actually get them to remove me from digitized harassment?

On a side note, businesses that feel that they should add an email contact to solicitations automatically without expressed consent of the other party is one of the most disrespectful practices I've seen.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you certain that these communications are coming directly from Adobe?

Just curious,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am wondering the same; I never get any such messages from Adobe.

Can you tell us the IP address from where these messages originate?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pat,

With all the various programs, that I have Registered over the decades, my activity on this forum, and others, like Creative Cow, I cannot recall being contacted - hence my question. I have never gotten an e-mail, and they have most of my POP accounts, scattered about the corporation. Any e-mail has been a direct communication from an Adobe employee. All PM's have been the same (except for the very few spam PM's, that one sees a few times per year - and here I thought that the young lady said that I was "the only one," only to find out that many others got hit by the same PM's... ).

Back when one could only Register by mail (before FAX'es even), I would get a mailer, every now and then, but that was all.

Something is wrong here, and I think that some entity is spoofing the e-mails, to LOOK like they are coming from Adobe, when they are not.

The initiating IP is a good idea. It will probably be from China, Russia or North Korea. Just my guess.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Next time I get one I'll post it, but I'm aware enough (unless being spoofed) that the from address had the base hostname of adobe.com in it.  I'm not sure what good checking an IP address would do, as I'm sure Adobe can not only utilize services from 3rd parties that are legitimately authorized by Adobe, but handled via a different company.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I post in about 11 Adobe forums; I've had products registered with Adobe for over thirty (30) years, I continually register new ones, updates and upgrades, plus I have set my Adobe account  to allow contacting me by email and by snail mail (just not by phone), and I've never had more than a very small number of pertinent communications from them per year, and none of the junk that you describe.

It sounds like your problems originate somewhere else rather than genuinely from Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree (except the 30 year part... for me it is more like a dozen years)

I receive "about" one email a month from Adobe and I expect those, because I have, upon occassion, indicated that I wanted to receive new product information

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 29, 2013 May 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[post conent removed]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aegis Kleais wrote:

I'm not sure what good checking an IP address would do, as I'm sure Adobe can not only utilize services from 3rd parties that are legitimately authorized by Adobe, but handled via a different company.

By checking the IP address you will soon discover if the messages are coming from a legitimate source, i.e. Adobe or an authorized partner, or from somewhere in China.  Or any known spammer in the U.S.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IP addresses are easily spoofed.  And Adobe can be using a 3rd party for its solicitations which return to an IP address not directly in use by Adobe.  Depending on the routing taken with a message, it may take many different routes before it gets to its destination.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Bill and Pat, I have never received communications attributable to Adobe such as the ones you describe. And I don't seem to recall any previous report on this. I agree with you that Adobe -or any person or institution for that matter- can find ways to hide their identities for performing massive spamming. However, I will doubt that Adobe is doing this until I see more reports similar to yours.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I usually report them to adobe unless from a source I know. expecislly when they claim they can sell me a $12000 packge for $400.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, this definitely was no sales push like that where they offer Adobe software for cheap.  It was more of a "Here's what's new at Adobe, and stuff in our Labs, and ColdFusion servers at 15%" and "thank you for downloading our trial, I'm _________ and your point of contact".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aegis Kleais wrote:

IP addresses are easily spoofed.

That is simply not true.  You can spoof a number of things in a message header (especially the 'From:' email address), but there is no way the sender can fake the originating IP address.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Pat Willener wrote:

That is simply not true.  You can spoof a number of things in a message header (especially the 'From:' email address), but there is no way the sender can fake the originating IP address.

For once an MVP is talking sense here and I agree with this MVP.  It is a first for me for months now to agree with an MVP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[ abusive content removed by forum host ]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never get emails from Adobe either unless I've subscribed to them.  This sounds like somebody has hacked your email account.  Depending on what program you're using for your email, you can sometimes check the links to see what is behind what appears to be a legitimate email address.  Most of the time it's some scammer from a third-world country phishing for information.  If you can find where it's really coming from, I would block that email and/or address.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines