• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How does User get Identified by Screen Name and NOT by Real Name in submitting a Forum Post?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2014 Dec 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have noticed that when I post a question or discussion item to one of Adobe's Forum Communities, I am identified as the author of my post by my actual legal name, not by my Screen Name that I set up in my profile when I registered.  The same applies for the posts of others--they are identified by their legal names, not their screen names.  What is the purpose of the Screen Name we set up when we registered, if not to shield the identity of the individual from others reading the post, if that person does not want to have their true identity publicly disclosed in, or publicly associated with the post?  If I sign my post using my Screen Name, but then it is identified with my legal name when I post it, what good does it do to have a Screen Name?  Is there some way to have the software not use my legal name, but identify my posts by my Screen Name only, if I so choose that option?  (Of course, Administrators at Adobe can always (presumably) identify the (real name) author of the post, via the registration information associated with a Screen Name, should the need arise.)

Sincerely,

SpaceAdventurer

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everybody here will see you as spaceadventurer because that is what you have chosen to be known as.  If you want us to call you  by your real name then you need to change your profile screen name.  I guess this is not what you want, right?

2014-12-22_0331.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply, mytaxsite.co.uk.  And thanks for the screenshot showing me that my name is displayed to you as "spaceadventurer," which is what I had intended / wanted.

I understand now, from reading through most of the original and replies to the post,Real name instead of Screen name displayed, where I noticed you replied several times, that the Screen Name / real legal name works this way on Adobe’s forums:

• When you are logged in - YOU (and only you) see your real legal name everywhere on the forums / web site, and associated with all of your posts

• When you are not logged in (to Adobe / forums with your Adobe username / password), you always see your name associated with your posts as your Screen Name only

• Everyone else always sees your screen name, everywhere, on all posts, regardless of whether they (everyone else) are logged in or logged out.  (Unless, of course, you set up your profile to have your Screen Name be your real legal name.  Then everyone will always see your real legal name associated with your posts.)

• When logged in, in the “Edit Communities Profile” web page (from the menu that appears when you click your Avatar in the black Adobe menu bar at the top of the screen), in the “Privacy” tab on that page, there is a “widget” called ‘Preview your profile’ in the upper right-hand corner of that tab.  This widget is supposed to show you how you or others, depending on which selection you make from the dropdown in the widget, will see your Profile (and therefore, your name) from their computers.  In fact, no matter which selection you make from the dropdown, the display of your profile that is produced ALWAYS shows your real legal name, which is misleading, because that is not in fact, what others will see. Others, whether “Registered Users,” “Friends,” or “Everyone,” will ALWAYS see your Screen Name only.  (Except for the exception I mentioned in the immediate previous bullet.)

• There is a way to change your Screen Name, should you feel the need to do so.  The steps to do that are detailed in response no. 75 to the "Real name instead of Screen name displayed" forum post.

Does it sound to you like I have captured the gist of the main learnings that can be gleaned from that post ("Real name instead of Screen name displayed”)?

Thanks,

SpaceAdventurer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 22, 2014 Dec 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Does it sound to you like I have captured the gist of the main learnings that can be gleaned from that post ("Real name instead of Screen name displayed”)?

Yes that is how things work here.  You will remain to be called "spaceadventurer" until you decide to change it something else.  Privacy is of utmost importance on these forums and up to now it has worked because of enhanced security measures over the last two years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines