Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to make posts wider - solved :)

Community Expert ,
Apr 09, 2009 Apr 09, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi

below is contents of GreaseMonkey http://www.greasespot.net/ script which will hide sidebar - ACTIONS and MORE LIKE THIS - and make posts wider

// ==UserScript==
// @name          Make Posts on forums.adobe.com Wider
// @description   (c) www.adobescripts.com
// @include       *forums.adobe.com*
// ==/UserScript==

var tabDoc = content.document;

tabDoc.getElementById('jive-body-sidebarcol-container').style.width = 0;
tabDoc.getElementById('jive-body-maincol').style.width = '95%';

WideAdobeForum.gif

â–’â–º ID-Tasker / ID-Tasker Server - work smart not hard â—„â–’

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Heya, Robert...  Keep up the good work, on behalf of those of us who are as dense as lead when it comes to coding that stuff.  You may want to visit the thread linked just below. Another member—Eric @ MCA— has knocked up a few things that make visits here a little nicer. He has a sidebar eradicator script as well, and his includes a link at the top of the column which will Show/Hide the right hand sidebar at will.  http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415447?tstart=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

D'oh! Phos beat me to it.

Interesting to see someone else's solution though. Totally different stylesheet variables we're tweaking!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 10, 2009 Apr 10, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hrm. Would be nice if there was a fix for Safari. Or a way to make a pref on the forum to just do this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it's wonderful that you guys are all coming up with these fixes, but the point of most of our complaints is that you shouldn't *have* to come up with hacks!

Why can't Adobe/Jive just get it right on their own??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Coming up with scripts or style sheets which work with a specific browser is great.  I applaud your efforts.

However, what is really needed is for the Jive Wizards to come up with a solution which works for everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SuperMacGuy,

If you are using 10.4, there is a way to force this stuff into Safari. See this post in the FAQ. (And ignore the first instance of 10.5 in the subject--should be 10.4.)

Of course, there are some things that will be harder to reach with the "Actions" panel permanently disabled, but it depends how much you want the extra width.

Worst case, you could just put in the full-width fix from the link above.

As for whether Adobe will get around to patching the forums, my impression was that they are quite happy with them being fixed width because "shorter lines are more readable", which is why I started doing all these hacks on my own. No, it makes no sense to me either, but that was the impression I got. With any luck, I will be proven wrong.

Just in case though, you guys may want to start looking into FireFox. It's pretty easy to use these days and should suck all your bookmarks out of Safari at first launch. Also, if you install the Grapple Yummy (blue) theme, you'll have a hard time distinguishing the look of it from Safari.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Eric @ MCA wrote:

SuperMacGuy,

If you are using 10.4, there is a way to force this stuff into Safari. See this post in the FAQ. (And ignore the first instance of 10.5 in the subject--should be 10.4.)         

Fixed the typo.

And I will bring this up again with the interface design folks. It is not a Jive limitation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines