• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to Modify Search URL's in Forums?

LEGEND ,
Feb 12, 2014 Feb 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, this has been plaguing me for a while now, but had time on my hands, so will ask for some assistance from the forum gurus here.

Problem:

I use the Forum Search (yeah, I know that the name could be better... ), to locate many articles to link to. In most cases, I know the exact Search keyword to use, but I then have an issue - the URL provided for the article is almost always pointing way down a long thread. That can be useful sometimes, but I want to get the URL for the beginning of those threads, to make it easier for others (especially new users) to get the thread from the beginning, and not at the end, or even the middle. Even when the Search keyword is in the title, and also in the OP, the Adobe Forum Search always dumps me at the end of the thread, or at best, the middle - never at the beginning.

Here is an example:

Search in Premiere Elements Tips & Tricks Forum for keyword "resources." I get http://forums.adobe.com/message/3953827#3953827, which is about the middle of that thread. The word "Resources" is used in the title, and also the OP (mine), but I do not get it, until down the thread. The Search function seems to overlook the first several uses of the word, and I get the URL for the Re:. This is the URL that I want: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/800455?tstart=0.

What do I need to do, to get that ____start=0 ?

Appreciated,

Hunt

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill,

You can get to a URL for the top in the following 2 step way:

1) Make the search (Ask the Question) and get to wherever in the thread;

2) Go to the top and RightClick the headline, then click Copy Link Location.

Unfortunately, that will only give you the URL with the post number of the OP, not the one with start = 0. For that you will have to go to the relevant page in the thread list and tick the thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 13, 2014 Feb 13, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob,

Thank you for the response. I will see if I can find a simple way to adapt that workflow.

One of the issues, exemplified in my example of the Tips & Tricks Forum is that the sub-form has many 1,000's of post (many by me). My use of Search is to quickly weed through the rest, for the Keywords, that I know are included. Depending on which page the article is now showing, it could take hours to pour over the threads, to get to the =Start URL. That was what I was hoping to avoid - still, might be some adaptation, that I have not found, or thought of.

Appreciated,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bill,

Actually, it is sometimes possible to get to the thread URL in another way, but I am afraid it is no less silly.

1) Make the search (Ask the Question) and get to wherever in the thread;

2) Go to the top (if needed) and Click [the OP], then click [the OP]'s Stuff and see whether the thread is still in the list without Re: at the start.

That will give the thread URL (without the ?tstart=0, though), as in this case http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1405227, which is viable in itself; you may add the ?tstart=0.

I just made it before it went off the list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jacob,

I had not thought of that. Unfortunately, for most of the posts to that Tips & Tricks sub-forum, they would likely have been months, or even years ago. Still, maybe I can adapt something there?

Might have to go back to Google, but there should be some "easy" way to use the Adobe Forum Search...

Thank you,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are welcome, Bill.

Good Hunt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 14, 2014 Feb 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Jacob,

Good Hunt.

Thanks,

HUnt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And we wonder that newcomers are using Google searches instead?

I seem to recall that I had found a workaround, but have forgotten for now. If I remember, I will post it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Claudio,

I agree, and for some time, did use Google, instead of the Search function. With the changes, and improvements, I am closer with the forum Search, but still not there yet. It's this "last step," that I am working on.

When I post a link (that goes down into the thread), most users can figure out the scrolling to the beginning, and reading down from there, but for some, that is too abstract, or too much work. That is why I hope to simplify things a bit. In most cases, I want them to start with the OP, but can use the current method, sort of, when I want them to start, say with Reply # 19.

There really ought to be a simple solution, such as maybe adding certain characters to my Search?

Thanks,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines