• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I think this has not been reported before

LEGEND ,
Mar 24, 2010 Mar 24, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In another thread, I replied to a message from Bill Hunt, quoting him. This is the top part of my reply:

Bill2.jpg

The first line correctly says that I am responding to Bill Hunt, but two lines down he is identified as the_wine_snob. Curiously, the message to which I was responding also identifies Bill correctly:

Bill1.jpg

A quick search in other threads shows that the same anomaly seems to be affecting some other participants.

My apologies if this has already been reported.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe that is because Bill has set his account preferences to use his real name under his avatar. The reply to line refers to his Screen Name. They are both pointing to the same person/account. If Bill turned off the ability to see his real name it should show "the_wine_snob" in both places.

What should never happen is having someone's real name show if they have selected to hide that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for responding so quickly. Your explanation is most probably correct, but leaves me with a doubt. I don't unsderstand why anyone would like to use a screen name different to his/her real name if they want their real names to be under their avatars and in the "in response to" line.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI:

Ever since we wre recommend to to dump cookies and re-sign in, and they fixed the problem of not rmembering whether you have set your username or your real name. I have been using my real name ever since, at least the last four or 5 months. When ever the last fix was in. 

And every since then I have continued to be logged in under my real name and system continues use my real name. I don't believe in hiding my real name. If someone wants to fussat me I want them to know who they are talking to.

Note this for information only not comenting pro or con otherwise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 26, 2010 Mar 26, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That is close. As of a recent forum upgrade/update, that change happened automatically. Back when the forum changeover happened, the_wine_snob appeared on its own. That had been a screen name done maybe 10-12 years before, but never used. I had forgotten about it. I tried to go back to BILL HUNT (all caps), and Bill Hunt (initial caps), but the forum told me that both were in use. I just kept the_wine_snob, until one morning, it disappeared and Bill Hunt showed up. I've just left that alone, though did change avatars recently.

Just some background on why/how things changed in my particular case. I still see references to the old the_wine_snob in places in my posts, and just ignore that.

At this point in time, I will live with almost anything that the forum software wants me to, and will not tempt fate by trying to change anything - bad things seem to happen to me, if I do...

Hunt, aka the_wine_snob and WAHunt3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines