Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is the "point system" here helpful at all? [Jive is gone, there are no points]

May 14, 2009 May 14, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could this dumb Jive point system possibly be responsible for being asked to create a new thread (before you're actually assisted), or are points just post-based? (instead of continuing an older, perfectly relevant thread that was "answered"--the solution offered in the answer didn't work for the same problem presented)

Why does "marking a thread as a question encourage people to answer"....oh....it says for points right above..... Yeah is that helpful?  Do we really want to get people into this "point competition" mindset?  Bring back WebX!  Jive Clearspace sucks! 

The whole point system is a little pointless, can't it be disabled? It doesn't really belong on a professional company's tech forum.

(I marked this post as as a question! Who wants free points?! haha)

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , May 14, 2009 May 14, 2009

NO!

Votes

Translate

Translate
May 16, 2009 May 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Joslin wrote:

Buko. wrote:

The other thing that stifles discussion is not being able to join a thread where you left off.

Actually you can!

What am I missing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How, JJ? Isn't that one of the most-missed features? Going to the last post is not the same at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Buko said,  "The other thing that stifles discussion is not being able to join a thread where you left off."

He didn't say,  " ... be taken automatically to the last post you read".

I took him literally – you can join a thread where you left off by replying to your last message.

I know Jive won't take you automatically to the last post you read!

Just trying to liven things up a bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you're a lively fellow alright.

and you knew exactly what I meant whether or not I worded it correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Isn't the most helpful answer to person asking the question, the one that fixes the problem for the person asking the question.

Although there may be a 10 page, book correct, proper answer. The one most helpful is the one that corrects the problem for the user asking the question.

Some times an answer doesn't have to be 20 pages long and require 100 steps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PjonesCET wrote:

Isn't the most helpful answer to person asking the question, the one that fixes the problem for the person asking the question.

Although there may be a 10 page, book correct, proper answer. The one most helpful is the one that corrects the problem for the user asking the question.

Some times an answer doesn't have to be 20 pages long and require 100 steps.

Oh, like the use monitor RGB?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Buko. wrote:

Oh, like the use monitor RGB?

I don't know I've never seen that question this refers to?

Did it help the original poster of the question?

Sure there may be some obvious wrong answers. But, then maybe the suggestion worked for the same problem from person giving the answer. We just don't know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PjonesCET wrote:

Some times an answer doesn't have to be 20 pages long and require 100 step

"Hold the Shift, Ctrl and Alt keys pressed for exactly seven seconds, then repeat 'Amen' for three times, then press the same keys, but this time for only five seconds. This has worked for me". Here is a much less than 20 pages long answer that doesn't require 100 steps, and that may happen to work for whatever reason for the person asking a question. Does this make it a correct answer to the question? What if, after the question is marked as "correctly answered" by the OP, no knowleadgeable  person visits the thread, but many others with the same problem do and find the "solution" doesn't work for them? Would this be helpful/useful/satisfying for them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No le pidas peras al olmo, Claudio.  El interfecto no ha entrado al uso de razón, independientemente de su edad cronólogica.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ramón G Castañeda wrote:

No le pidas peras al olmo, Claudio.  El interfecto no ha entrado al uso de razón, independientemente de su edad cronólogica.

No se las pido, Ramón. Sólo que, a veces (muy a veces, como ahora), tengo esperanzas.

For non Spanish speaking participants, and in very short words: Ramón was questioning if it was worth it, and I answered that, occasionally, I think that we may still have some hope...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although they say, "Hope springs eternal in the human breast",  there are cases where realism dictates that hoping is in vain.

I went from hoping; to laughing; to crying, and eventually to ignoring.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
May 17, 2009 May 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Methinks you missed the thrust of my message in the diplomatic translation by Claudio, JJ.

A more on-point translation of the opening sentence of my post would be something like "dont ask an elm to give you pears", and the reference was not to the forums but to Claudio's interlocutor. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 17, 2009 May 17, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ramón G Castañeda wrote:

Methinks you missed the thrust of my message

Oh no, I got it  – and the emotions I expressed were a reaction to "him" not to the forums!

(Appropriately, I am currently reading Don Quixote. Not in the original unfortunately, but in a brilliant translation.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 18, 2009 May 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Buko. wrote:

Until then I want all the stars I can get. So lets just start lots of free star threads and abuse the star system until they remove it.

Funny cuz I was kinda thinking the same thing. haha

To make it even better, I marked some of the least helpful answers here as helpful such as that post that simply says "good point". It was helpful to me  because I laughed at the Futurama avatar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This point system bothers JC too since he was asking how to remove stars from wrong answers in the Jive A$$ forums. I'm shocked if there is not a Button to turn it off.

Someone in the know, is there a button to turn this feature off?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines